Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve done this with several providers over the years, I normally organise the new contract a few days before expiry of the current contract

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Appreciate that @OmegaGene I'll stick with this plan then, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

It looks like they cut the cord going to my house or something, because nobody simply will not connect me back to the network.And after numerous chats i gave up and went wireless, which turned out to be cheaper and faster but at the expense of latency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you switched to your wife for a new account?

Mine is up as well and considering doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You lost your connection in the cabinet to somebody else and the cabinet was full, in some cases they increased the capacity by adding a piece to the top but not to your cabinet unfortunately. It happens a lot where fttc is the only BB available.

• Advertisement

I assumed the same. Or that they want to retire old cabinet, because fibre finally came to the village and they also offering wireless broadband.

Just wanted to warn OP about potential danger of getting disconnected and trying get reconnect again under new name.

You don't physically disconnect anything when moving from one name to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Was going to do this in a few weeks before the 30 days elapsed, funnily enough im on annual leave this week and a Sky rep just called to my door this am. I wasnt sure if i could use my own router on the ONT with Sky as I am doing atm with Eir. Guy said I can and I dont even have to change anything, so signed up for 1gig for 35, then he asked do i have Netflix, i do so thats being combined with Sky for 15, which is what I was paying anyway. So for 50, 1 gig internet and Netflix, plus I get Sky channels and on demand through a small set top box they call a puck, so im happy out.

I had thought about going to Sky but didnt know if they used the same line as Eir, apparently they do, the rep said they are also able to transfer from Virgin to Sky also. Hoping I get consistent speeds of close to 1gig with Sky.

You were robbed. 1gb is only 30 euro online with sky😃

But 50 is also the online price for the package.

I need to call eir tomorrow and cancel. I'm out of contract. It's not normal for me to be late cancelling but it's been a busy month.

• Advertisement

If you're out of contract just move to another provider they'll handle the switch for you no need to contact Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Nollog

I heard they do give your port to someone else if you're in a busy area if you don't do a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You might do depending on the service. If your new provider is phoneline as VOIP you you connect your phone line in the back of the router and the other provider then might be more traditional so you connect into the socket on the wall then the Engineer does need to go to the cabinet. This happened to me twice when moving between providers, certainly did anyway with a Vodafone connection and then when leaving.

Why would you not need to give notice of cancellation?

you don’t need to if you’re out of contract, the new provider takes care of that, I only ever give notice if I really want a better deal from my current provider to renew

I never needed an engineer visit once I got connected at the cabinet for fttc (2013). I moved providers several times and just had to change routers, even at that the previous providers router kept working after the switchover but I'd change it anyway as they'd start whining for their router back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭seanin4711

with Sky and contract up mid sept- i was already on to them and they said call closer to the time.

options

Eir- poor feedback on here but was with them previously and not too bad

VF - pricier than other two but ok service

ideally would like 1GB FTTH as i have Sky "up to 500mb" FTTH atm

people say eir is bad but tbh they are all fine once things go smoothly and equally shi7 when things go wrong
    I go with the best service for the cheapest price, value for money is what it’s all about

Been with eir 6 years in this house. Never an issue. Any time an optics cable broke due to vibration from tractors at the house they had someone out in 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Sky gave me Ultrafast Plus €40 a month for 12 months yesterday to stay on with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just onto eir Level 2 loyalty

Managed to get 1gb for 35 a month( initial offer was 50) . 3 SIM only for 9.99 ( was paying 12 last year) and TV for 9.99.

I chocked at the 30e activation fee for the TV but brought it down to 15.

I know I'm paying more for the fibre than sky but saving 15 a month on the phones compared to gomo.

I can always cancel the TV in 14 days but that has prime video as well. I could cancel my prime account and rethink how I shop with Amazon. The savings on my prime account pay for the TV.

All told happy enough. Now to go into Dunnes and bargain on the goats milk 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

Out of contract with VF on 20 Aug. On €35pm for 500mb which increased to €40.70 in Apri due to inflation based increase on the original €75pm contract...what a swizz!

Will only offer €35pm for 1st 6 months and €45 per month thereafter on renewal so tempted to switch to Eir or Sky as the saving would contribute to the cost of my overpriced new detailing products just purchased😄

As I've rolled over VF contract the last couple of years can I check if there is a potential of downtime when moving provider and will I receive a new router by post and have to return the VF one? Being a qualified tech luddite, I'm always fearful of messing with routers as my OH would shoot me first and ask questions after if I messed with her ability to wfh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

Are sky on the exact same fibre lines as Virgin in Dublin?

Moved into a new house in March and on a 2 year €50 contract for 1gb so considering the cancellation hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Just FYI, I'm with Eir the last few years and rang them this morning, as my contract is up soon - having seen what a couple of people had said about them being unprepared to offer their Switcher deals to existing customers, I fully expected to be cancelling - sure enough, they told me the best they could do was €70 (500mb plus two mobiles) on a 24-month contract (which would mean two price hikes in April 2025 & 2026).

I told them to cancel, citing the €30 1gb deal with Sky, and the fact that GoMo or 48 had comparable phone plans for €15p.m. on a rolling contract, so they were not at the races, in terms of price or contract duration.

When I ended up with the cancellation team, they offered to up me to the 1gb (€40pm), plus the two mobiles (€10x2), and a 12- or 24-month contract. I am putting the outcome down to the fact that I specifically told them what offers I was moving to and then they matched them, coincidentally on terms equivalent to their own new business offers!

Edit: I see you've posted since and you got a slightly better deal than I did, dammit 😅

Post edited by barneystinson on

I played hard ball in the broadband and they gave me a 5x12 month discount to bring it to 35. I also offered to take a TV package to sweeten it.

I'll could cancel the TV package but I'm saving on Amazon so its cost neutral to have the TV.

I had a call back this afternoon and I confirmed the deal just to be sure. All was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭seanin4711

not bad,can you confirm the speeds with ookla etc? i have "up to" 500mb FTTH realistically half that absolute Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

• Advertisement

*see below

Advertisement