Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the root clumping Bamboo type a risk ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In theory, no. In practise I would avoid any bamboo. I had a clumping bamboo and when I decided to get rid and dug it up it had shoots all around it; not runners, true, but certainly it was getting established very fast. Having dug it out I had to follow up the following year and get out the bits I had missed.

Quote from Gardeners World about phylostachys nigra:

Be warned, it's extremely fast-growing so needs a lot of space to to spread. Although it's clump-forming and therefore one of the less invasive types of bamboo, you may want to take precautions to restrict its spread, such as planting in a large container or limiting its roots with a non-perishable barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

One of my least favourite plants, does nothing except deposit a load of dead leaves everywhere and usually looks half dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Honestly I don't think it's worth the risk. I still shudder when I think of that article regarding invasive bamboo someone shared here a while back.

Post edited by OscarMIlde on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

Not if you prepare in advance, I've a lot of black bamboo plus a few other varieties in the garden, haven't had an issue. Before I plant it I dig in metal sheeting about 20 inches deep to the left and right and front(edge of border) and plant there, other areas, they are in planters etc, so contained there too. Also, lots of high nitrogen feed and water in the dry spells, you'll have nice lush bamboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's crazy people can actually buy and plant **** that's going to cause problems for themselves, their neighbors and the environment.

Japanese knotweed, Winter Heliotrope, Laurel, Rhododendron, now Bamboo ... all **** that has been planted by gardeners and causes immense damage. And that's just the stuff I know of.

And all the invasive plants diseases and invertebrates the gardening industry drags around the world.

And people think they know better. Who is even monitoring any of this stuff ? Really. Do you think the government does ?

And I don't think anyone is sticking in metal sheeting to help prevent bamboo spreading. Just planting whatever **** they find in garden centers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

How do you know you don't have or won't have problems in the future however. What if the metal sheeting corrodes over time or the bamboo grows under it. There are people who have had bamboo emerge through their floors years after bamboo was plated in adjacent gardens. There are so many attractive plants in the world, why risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

20 years with bamboo in the garden. Not hard to replace a metal sheet if needed. If directly planted into the ground is a risk for some people, then planters are the way to go,.

Advertisement