Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New electric shower issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Sorry but I do 12 hour shifts and haven't been home yet.Im 99% sure it's the emersion switch that's tripping

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Yea, there's something very wrong there so. The old power shower might have been spurred off the immersion circuit. Now they've fed the electric shower from that spur and it's tripping the immersion mcb because it's overloading the circuit. It can't be stressed enough how potentially dangerous this could be. There's a very real risk of fire and or electrocution. Don't even think about using that shower again until it's been signed off by a REC. You should really consider reporting this to safe electric as I'm sure it's not this plumbers first rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭drury..

Ah well that got me back😁

So looks like jl spark had it right

Power shower spurred off immersion cct.

Shower swopped out for instantantaneous unit.

13A switched spur swopped out for 45A DP switch and its now tripping 20A mcb on overload

Criminal if true

Do not let them back in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭standardg60

Exactly, they've wired straight to the existing.

Looking forward to the comments now 🙂

These comments are very worrying.Is this an easy fix for a qualified electrician?

I will push the plumber to cover the cost qualified electrician but I'm preparing for him to argue this.

• Advertisement

I hadn't even considered the possibility as it seemed so unlikely and criminally negligent

I remember indeed my inspector telling me of a case where an instantaneous shower had been wired in a light flex which melted and the homeowner was electrocuted

It's actually worse that they bypassed the switched spur protection and sent the overload upstream to the mcb

And you can be sure that "common rcd" has not been tested

If this is the scenario that played out

In order to be able to have 2 electric showers in one house, a 'priority board' needs to be installed. This only allows one shower to be used at a time. If both showers were used at the same time, it'd most likely blow the main fuse, so it's not allowed.

The priority board is fed from your fuseboard. The new shower needs to be fed with 10sq cable from the priority board and the existing shower needs to be wired back to the priority board too.

It's a fair amount of work, depending on the location of your fuseboard etc. I'd say €600 minimum including parts, but these days could be closer to €1000.

Might be easier to put a power shower back in instead of an electric one.

Jesus that's a nice price.Ill be amazed if the plummer will fork out that price to get this rectified

Had forgotten about controller with the realization they had probably done a swop in shower types

There's also the issue of installation overload now as you don't have a shower controller

That's 2 serious issues if true and merits a prosecution

Just tested the shower and it is the immersion switch that's tripping.only trips when the shower is on full power.

Have requested confirmation from the plummer that it's an electrican that's coming out to fix it but no reply.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to wonder if you did this install yourself as you don't seem too perturbed that it potentially put your life at risk and don't seem too interested in reporting said company.

Definitely didn't do this myself as I'd struggle to hang a picture on the wall

I've contacted an inspector and ill see what he says.

I am also waiting for the plummer to get back to me to see if an electrican is coming out before I start reporting him

Crossed my mind too. Hard to believe a plumber wouldn't know the requirements for electric shower v's power shower, but then again….

That's confirmation anyway of the 2 very serious issues involved

If in fact you are not the mystery plumber yourself as a poster has mentioned 😁

Wouldn't surprise me now tbh😁 as I originally considered this scenario too unlikely for any half reputable company

I can't envisage any competent plumber having carried out these particular works never mind a spark

But you still went against all advice here and turned the shower on again to test it, even with the risk of fire and electrocution.

I can assure you I have no idea about plumbing or electrics.

I don't want to name the company(Not sure if I would be allowed to )

Ye that was a bit stupid alright.wont be turning it on again until its sorted

Indeed the op is very relaxed about all this and is happy for Fawlty Towers Plumbing to call again 😁

Im leaning to the above posters theory that the op is said plumber

Assuming you have an invoice can you post a pic of it leaving out the company details?

Still waiting foe the invoice.He said he will send it today.once he sends it I'll post it up

• Advertisement

I know most of you think I'm the plumber but here is a screenshot of the conversation after it stopped working the first time

Well if you haven't paid the invoice yet, then you're in a great position. Judging by his grasp of the english language though, he might not be the genius plumber he thinks he is. I'd be inclined to tell him to take his shower back and f** off with himself

It's fully paid for.He gave a receipt but I've asked for a detailed invoice for the work carried out

Sorry for your loss

Ye I'm pretty gutted.Im hoping the plumber will either send an electrican to sort it out or as an poster mentioned,just refit a power shower

I'll still report him either way but I'm pretty sure I'll be stuck replacing it at my cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plumber can go to jail for this & €5000 fine. I'd imagine he'll do whatever it takes to avoid this.

It's not good enough that he rectifies himself or regular electrician. You must get the cert at the end

Apologies, it's so inept it's beyond belief it was installed by a 'company'.

So you knew the first time that it tripped the MCB yet because the light was off they blamed the switch?

Cowboys, is the inspector from safe electric?

Don't let them back in before he visits, cost arguments are the least of their worries I would think.

Ye emailed the inspector for my area on safe electric.

II'll Also give him a call tomorrow.If he does come out is there a cost?

No, not if it's nothing to do with you.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Yep will do

Advertisement