Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im always reminded of this great quote

"Thinking in terms of left or right, conservative or liberal, is not an accurate way to understand the current cultural moment. A far more accurate lens is cognitive liberty: those who demand you think a certain way are on one side while those who do not are on the other."

We are far past the days of political discourse or debate when a certain outspoken percentage of the userbase consider those they disagree with as evil / nazis / racists / or whatever other power wielding buzz word the thought police come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

More "piling on" accusations.

Not everyone finds the same thing offensive.

I offended a poster who openly posted that they made a call to arms for backup in a thread because they were having difficulty. All I asked was how that backup was requested.

Should my posts, or anyone who thanked them, be sanctioned? Again, this is looking for very defined censorship, "opinion police" as Necro put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Am I the only person who heard of thanks trolling just now in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,394 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'thought police' isn't a buzzword for people you disagree with? or 'circle jerk' etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Limits are one thing, calling for certain topics to be banned is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I think there's more liberal progressive thinking and pseudo marxist class based thinking on boards than genuine left wing economic thinking. Left wing to me concerns economics and money, specifically thinking the state should provide a certain levels of supports and minimise inequalities. It's perfectly feasible to argue that favouring increased immigration would in modern Ireland be both socially progressive and also economically right wing (increased government spending towards private entities providing housing, siphoning of income from the state towards off shore tax entities). An anti-immigration economically left wing party could also feasibly exist without being a contradiction. Personally I think the current housing/migration issue suits FG/FF to the ground as they get to sound caring and sharing while enriching corporate entities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thats not the question that was put to you. How about trying to answer it?

I gave a scenario of a post plainly abusing another poster.

If I call you (personally abusive insult X) is that being a dick? You agree there are such insults which should not be allowed on boards under attacking the poster rule? Yes?

You agree the original poster can legitimately be sanctioned by moderation? Yes or no?

Is that censorship yes or no?

So is thanking such a plainly abusive post being a dick or not? Yes or no?

Is it piling on? Yes or no?

And you went off on a tangent of deflections. When you cant even answer a straight question it says it all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭nachouser

….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A poster on this thread said transphobia should be banned, despite the definition of transphobia differing wildly from person to person. Another poster said any mention of the term illegal immigration should be banned as it was right wing phrasing to slur genuine asylum seekers. I would see initiating both of those posters views carte blanche (the transphobia comment seemed to imply that any dissenting position was phobic) as censoring debate. Of course boards is free to allow whatever it wants on it's platform so if they do decide to do that they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I can actually think of a fair few posters that were openly Holocaust deniers. Can think of another that frequently posts anti semitic material. Equally I can think of active posters that have praised firebombings.

That's an incredibly vague claim that feels like you should easily able to backup with some examples.

…and I'm sure both posters will say you are misrepresenting what they posted. You clearly didn't get the illegal immigration reference because that is not what she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The site isn't dying because have different opinions. Its because they are being obnoxious about it and drives people away.

I've seen how that poster reacts to discussion on the refugee thread, and my opinion of how that post is meant is coloured by that. The fact that they have been banned from that thread twice is indicative of their ability to argue in good faith.

She still didn't say what you said she did and I don't see how any of the above is relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Kindly in that case, give me a few good clear examples of where I 'soapbox'. Surely as you accuse me of this now & previously, you must be able to instance examples.

And then we shall see what 'soapboxing' is and judge it in the context of other posters comments.

Please advise further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That was me.

I believe transphobia should be banned on boards as homophobia and racism is.

Tell me this, should people be allowed to argue homosexuality is real or not? If it's of course not, why should we allow debates whether trans people are real or not? Why do we allow debates where trans women are called men and people refuse to believe they're women, but we would (rightly) ban a debate asking if homosexual males aren't just straight men that hadn't met the right woman yet?

Racism is banned on boards. Many people people believe deep down that white people are the pinnacle of evolution. Why are they denied a place at the debate table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You said you would leave this because you admitted you were wrong in what you said ..and now here you are going on about it again.

"All I asked was how that backup was requested."

This is complete rubbish .

Stop trying to rewrite the story . You accused me and another poster at 1.30 am on the thread of pming people for a pile on . And you the one giving out to other posters here for mentioning pile ons ! I had to defend myself against a post that frankly was an attack and would have been reported anywhere else .

I am not going to sit here and let you try to make what I posted the fault . It was not what was said , what was done and you just lost the run of yourself making false accusations .

Are you now going to keep on telling stories ?

Take responsibility for your very incorrect posting and leave it out of the thread now as was agreed ..

OK, that's a serious charge. Please give me good clear examples where "I've seen you go well out of your way to ruin threads on more than one occasion"

If that's your moderator opinion, I'd like to see it illustrated with examples so that it will be a learning experience for all.

But I predict you won't be able to find any and this is a figment of imagination. I post in good faith and engage in debate to challenge arguments put up.

Isn't it interesting that you as a mod are engaging in attacking the poster rather than the post, one of the core tenets of boards???

So please illustrate your allegation.

I quite agree, some of the most grievous attacks on open debate come not from dictatorships, but in truth are attempted censure from so called liberals who want to shut down the exchange of ideas to suit their own agendas.

I'm not getting into a debate about transphobia and what is or isn't transphobic. This is a feedback thread not Current Affairs reloaded. My point is that definitions of what is left wing, right wing, transphobic etc. vary from poster to poster and as long as posters post sincerely discussion should be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We are far past the days of political discourse or debate when a certain outspoken percentage of the userbase consider those they disagree with as evil / nazis / racists / or whatever other power wielding buzz word the thought police come up with.

Let me just put this on record.

I don't view some people as evil / nazis / racists because they disagree with me. I consider some people evil / nazis / racists because they either show themselves to be evil / nazis / racists or they support bona fide evil / nazis / racists.

And I think part of the role of people in society who don't want to have to deal with people who are evil / nazis / racists is that they call out the behaviour that is synonymous with evil / nazis / racists.

I don't think that anyone can look at out society and deny that there is an increase of people displaying evil / nazi / racist tendencies and if this is the case, then why can we presume they wouldn't call to Boards from time to time? And I do not want to see a growth in the occurrence and reach of evil / nazi / racist speech or sentiment. Because it is demonstrably harmful to society. Harmful and dangerous.

I don't think it is enough to not just partake or condone evil / nazi / racist speech, I think it is the duty of all of us who want a safe and propserous (and sustainable society) to call out those who do condone such speech and sentiment.

And for the record, once, on here have I ever directly called someone racist. And I did so in clear view on a busy thread and didn't receive a single post in response, from anyone, challenging me for doing that.

Since you're demanding evidence, how about some evidence to back up this statement by you…

"they are influenced by a cabal of activists who are in broad synchronicity with moderators."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The evidence is the amount of threads you soapboxed yourself into a ban after multiple warnings to move on.

But faux indignation is part of your routine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Very true. Like, feedback threads are supposed to provide... Feedback. Yet we have pages and pages of people from either side of their entrenched positions arguing with each other for page after page. It would be far more constructive if they just put forward their feedback and checked the internet egos at the door.

Here's the thing, the vast VAST majority of posters don't give a shiny shite about this weird ass culture war that's raging these days, they just want to pop onto the forum and chat about stuff. Some of it current affairs, some of it absolute nonsense. I have over 50k posts and at least 70% of them are playing an online forum game called Werewolf for example!

I don't have a problem with debate at all but to be honest I have even less interest in debating with someone over the internet that has already made up their mind!!

So in the spirit of getting out of these circular arguments about lefties wanting this and righties wanting that, I have a question.

What does boards mean to you, personally? Like what do you envisage it as in the future if you could wipe the slate clean?

For me I'd love to have the functionalities back so Forum Games could kick off again. There was a damn good community there and it was all lost as the Vanilla move took away a lot of the functions vital for games to be played.

A functional search option for instance. The ability to check individual threads via post count. Being able to multi quote.

Simple things you want the forum to do but Vanilla are incapable of providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Does Boards.ie have any full time employees at present? Or any employees at all? Who are the current owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah no, not the cabal again! Cant have a repeat of last night 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

No offense…but why would you bother with all of this? I must admit in your position I wouldn't be arsed. I am probably a lazy person, but even allowing for that.

The site is basically a graveyard, as the OP said, so why waste effort. The fundamental issues, in my view, are not even to do so much with inactive moderators and so on, but much more core base level.

Where's the strategy for the site? What's its long term future? What's its mission statement? Does it even have one? What are the websites core values, the non-negotiables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In a few hours we are due more "pile on" complaints.

I know, but i kind of felt it had to be done…sorry.

• Administrators Posts: 14,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Where's the strategy for the site? What's its long term future?

That's above my pay grade.

Lads this is descending into outright bickering (mea culpa included) . Mods have been posting here in good faith to get Feedback on how to improve boards:

Suggestions made so far in thread:

Make abusive PMs towards mods a bannable offense. Sticky it to every thread and announce the change to ensure no one can feign ignorance.

More moderation of current affairs. Maybe some drive by active moderating of threads in action if mod time allows. think of it like random speed cameras in acting as a deterrence to crap posting.

Less moderation of current affairs.

More time given to context of post if post is reported as abusive (e.g. was this a consistent pattern of posting or done in frustration due to trolling).

Thanks moderation: Not a runner as too much mod interaction, too open to subjective interpretation and easy to deny (I clicked thanks by accident). Mods may of course silently note who is thanking abusive posts in contentious threads and may bear it in mind when moderating future reports if they can remember.

A clear pathway for entering user complaints about mods or moderating. Obviously since mods are not paid they probably won't welcome extra work so people should only use this for what they regards as particularly egregious acts.

Not sure if this is done, but are people who abuse the report button sanctioned. A lot of anger in threads can be when posters suspect people are reporting people for opinions they disagree with rather than genuine bad faith posting.

More visible moderation. If a poster is sanctioned for abusing reporting, or people are being warned for trolling state it in a thread. It's a visible sign that issues are being dealt with and also signals what is or isn't acceptable conduct.

Can people add more as they think of it.

This thread is not about individuals but….. if you continue to attack me the poster, please give clear examples of where I soapbox. That's how boards works, does it not?

You see the thing is, you'll realise as soon as you start, that you, I and everyone here that participate anyway regularly can likely be accused of 'soapboxing'. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

By the way, how many threads have I multiple warnings to 'move on'? And how many am I banned from?

When I argue a case on this thread for more competent moderation, I'm not thinking of myself as you or others might like to portray. I look down the list of banned posters on many threads. I recognise many generally fine and regular posters, whose views I sometimes align with and other times less so, who are on these lists. I see posters added to the list and I just wonder why - where is the logic at all in many cases.

I can sometimes see a logic in banning an obviously new re reg who just jumps in with intent. But there are many others where I'm genuinely baffled. So perhaps reflect on this..

Maybe I have lost the plot, but I thought people were asking for MORE moderation in current affairs?

Some other suggestions were:

Shift some of the CA content into Politics eg one US politics thread in CA. More focused topics - discuss in Politics. Same principle could be applied to some other political threads in CA.

Limit access to CA eg X number of posts. May not be feasible with Vanilla.

More clarity in forum charters.

Both more and less moderation of CA were suggested by different sets of posters.

• Advertisement

Sorry, yes I see it there now! My eysight is going.

That I believe is called 'expressing an opinion'. It's my opinion of the state of affairs that afflicts some parts of the site. I don't have to prove my opinions anymore than you do. You are free to disagree with my opinion.

And therein lies an important difference. You and I can exchange opinions in a moderate way. That's grand.

Moderators though should not be handing out warnings and thread bans on the basis of their own opinions. They should be based on the overall site & individual thread guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One US politics thread would be a good idea, I personally don't think it should go into Politics, that forum gets almost no traffic, and alot of people have no longing to ever return to it.

Maybe some people could be made junior moderators, to help out with the workload.

Can the search functionality be improved or is that not possible in Vanilla ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I always thought feedback threads were a place for posters to, you know, give feedback to moderators and hear from the moderators about whats going on.

The idea of going into a feedback thread and having a discussion with other posters is so **** asinine. Its like two lads standing in a queue for the bar arguing with each other about the price of beer. The lad behind the bar can hear you but thinks you're both idiots and hopes you go away soon.

I know the radio silence creates a vaccum that some people think its their job to fill but seriously, nobody opens a feedback thread to hear from the same boring posters, they want to see questions to and answers from the moderators.

Also, nobody over the age of twelve gives a **** about "Thanks".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here. I've also seen some defend Israel's ongoing genocide in Palestine and one lad defend the actual Nazis of the 1930s and 1940s.

Never seen anyone defend Stalin or Mao though. I suspect that the allegation there is just some kind of projection.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Have a look down the list of thread banned posters on this thread: there are something like 80 posters listed and that's just utterly ridiculous. It's dysfunctional. I look down that list and easily pick out 20 names without any difficulty of posters who I think post in good faith. Some I might agree with and others not always. But they all have valid opinions on the subject. And it's the height of nonsense to ban such posters.

I'm just picking this one as I'm more familiar with the posters listed. There are a good many such threads where boards is just shooting itself in the foot everyday. If it were a business, it'd be gone as you don't generally get away too long with insulting your customers.

• Advertisement

Bull.

The site should determine what it defines transphobia as. If you don't like what they define transphobia as, well, there's the door, the internet's a big place.

I will say, that if boards was to say it's ok to question if a man can become a woman because of whatever reason, I'll be first out, deleting my account.

The boards I signed up to long ago has changed, and yeah, I do want it back. It was nicer, busier, there were RL groups, friendships, marriages and children born from that.

I don't really care if a people get their nose out of joint that they're not able to offend people or spew hateful rhetoric.

Like BOC said, something needs to change or the site is dead.

One US politics thread sounds like a good idea, it would allow for more free wheeling discussion, natural conversation without being accused of going off topic.

On that note Leg End reject suggested allowing threads to go off topic more often, as it mimics how conversations flow. Off topic moderation could be limited to shitposting rather than modding general chat.

Another suggestion was not to zombie or delete threads just because they are old. They can still be fun to read and threads like creepiest things that ever happened to you could go on for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yes, using the old trope of "that wasn't real communism" etc.

Glazers Out!

We've each said our piece. What is allowed on boards is up to boards admin not us. We should both drop it as the feedback has been given.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement