Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

watching this on Premier Sports, the in game commentary is brutal. Michael Stewart keeps saying the same thing over and over again. The other co commentator is obviously a former Rangers player and is analysing exclusively from a rangers perspective as if it’s rangers tv. Thinking about turning them down, wish I could silence the commentary.

The game hasn’t been great. We’re dominating but haven’t really created great chances yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hopefully that will wake us up, clear foul on Hart but we haven't started the second half at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Did Rangers not score earlier?

Another great contribution from Idah. League and Cup double for Celtic. Brilliant

Great to seal the double and great for Idah to get the winner. He's scored some really important goals for us and hopefully we can bring him in permanently over the summer. I wasn't sold on him at all when he joined but he's a great option to have up front.

• Advertisement

That’s 9 out of a possible 10 domestic trophies for Brendan as manager. Some record as well against rangers. Still incredibly there has been a bit of a loud mouthed vocal minority against him in the Celtic support including doubters among prominent Celtic fans contributors on this site. How wrong they were.

Brilliant today from Brendan and the players and a strong platform now for Brendan with full unanimous support from the fans and the board to build on this success and create a team that can continue to dominate in Scotland but crucially start to make an impact in Europe as well.

Recruitment vital to get right this summer after a few poor transfer windows which improved slightly last January with the signings of Idah and Kuhn.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Idah getting all the plaudits, but Bernardo done very well when he came on. He made the goal with a powerful run and strike, he could have easily of gone down and taken the foul.

That's two big moments against rangers for him this season. It'll be interesting to see what BR does in the summer with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poor game but good result.

I’d keep Bernardo, I think he’s shown enough to be worth signing. Is it a 5million price tag with him?

I’m expecting O’Riley to go but maybe with this momentum he can be enticed to stay for another season. Goalkeeper and wide positions in midfield and at the back need upgrades for the CL. Enjoying tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great day yesterday, not so much the game but fantastic to get a late winner. I was convinced it was going to penalties

• Advertisement

I think the fee would be in the region of 5-6million. I'd have no arguments against signing him too. I think the potential is there for him to improve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

What a few weeks it has been - to have had a pretty poor season and end up with a league and cup double shows the character of the manager and the players. The team really came into their stride over the last couple of months and got the results they needed. Big summer coming up with Hart leaving, and prob O'Reily at least. As for Idah, without doubt we should be looking to make him permanent - he's exactly what we have been missing and brings a different dynamic to our game when he comes on. £5m or £6m as quoted is a great buy for him imo. Would ideally like another striker in also, even if Kyogo stays as we've been light there for some time. Miovski would be a good move if we could get him, I'd be very happy adding him and Idah. Not sure I see a future at Celtic for Oh.

Big clear out of those not contributing required - we brought in a lot of players who have had little or no part of the season. Holm, Lagerbielke, Nawrocki (maybe) should go along with McCarthy and Welsh. I like Welsh but it just hasn't worked out. Nawrocki I'm on the fence about. Bunch of lads returning from loans also including Bernabei, Kwon, Hacks, Tilio, Mikey Johnston.

Keeping the spine of the team will be crucial esp. with having to bed in a new keeper. Keeping all of CCV, Hatate, McGregor, Kyogo would be great. Scales I'd like to keep, but I think a better starting partner for CCV would be preferable.

Time to spend some of the money in the bank and invest in the team. Probably upwards of £60 million in the bank with another £40+ to come with new CL format (and 8 games min, potentially 10 depending on results). If Celtic are serious about competing for three domestic trophies and making a dent in Europe, it's time to build the squad to realise that hope. The amount of injuries we've had this season it simply isn't enough to have one strong option in each position.

Does anyone think Kyogo might become a problem in this team?

I don't think he suits BR's style of play and if a big offer came in over the summer for him, I think Rodgers wouldn't mind him leaving.

Rangers disallowed goal on Saturday came from Kyogo's inability to hold up a ball played to him by Scales. He was immediately hooked after that.

Don't get me wrong I love the little guy, but he played his best football under Ange and at 29, cashing in might be an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

The other player I regard as essential is Maeda. He terrifies defenders with his speed and keeps entire backlines under pressure with his appetite for chasing and tackling.

I wouldn't agree, I think Kyogo has had a difficult season but his movement and finishing is as good a standard as I think we can attract. The issue was that until Idah came in we didn't have another option up front so Kyogo was being played in games that didn't suit him.

I think Ange made a big mistake letting Giakoumakis leave but Idah can do a similar job for us.

Kyogo generally comes good.for.us in the big games and I think he can get even better

Yes I agree. I’d keep Kyogo as our first pick striker. He wasn’t as prolific under Brendan this season but it was a stop start season and the supply to him bar from O’Riley wasn’t as consistent. Hatate was injured until the last few months. I recall reading somewhere that the first pick 3 in midfield of McGregor, O’Riley and Hatate only played together for about 10 games in all.

Signing Idah is crucial as it takes the pressure off Kyogo and provides an alternative to him. Idah has a great attitude, he can provide the goals and alternative options that Giakoumakis did but Giakoumakis wasn’t happy to be the alternative striker and I think relations between him and Ange became difficult and he ended up looking to leave. Adam seems a smarter more intelligent guy who knows he will get loads of opportunities and game time at Celtic. We should sign him up immediately.

So personally I’d keep Kyogo, sign Adam and then make a move for a highly rated young striker as maybe a loan to buy option like we did with Edouard who cost 9 million after the loan period a few years ago and that highly rated young striker would be the successor to Kyogo and maybe even ready to replace him within 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

I think Gio was on quite low wages when he came in and asked for a bump after getting a good few goals his first season. The board refused so he wanted out.

Kyogo is being linked with a move to Japan and Urawa Red Diamonds.

I saw that but read the source isn't very reliable. I'd be surprised if he wanted to return to Japan and if they could afford the kind of money Celtic would want for him

Great video put together by a Celtic fan of the last few weeks of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

That is a brilliant compilation. Loved it. Thanks for posting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Looks like we might be signing Kasper Schmeichel. He’s 37 now but is still Denmark’s number 1 so hopefully he retains most of his abilities and with his experience and leadership in that position he could prove to be a very useful signing. Hopefully a few more transfers to come over the next few weeks. A big season this with at least 8 CL games guaranteed.

Schmeichel looked decent at the Euros and brings experience so hopefully will do a job for us. Rodgers has worked with him before so maybe this was the plan since Hart announced he was leaving. Still just kicking another can down the road for a year though at Schmeichel's age

Yes but all going well and he’s fit he’ll do a good job in goals for a season or two. Idah and Bernardo deals close to being done before the trip to the US according to the lads on KDS.

Then we need reinforcements in other areas, along with getting out a few that need to move on, hopefully we see the board really back our manager properly this window. O’Riley and possibly Hatate are two that might move that will need direct replacing.

It will be interesting to see if we bring a second keeper in with an eye on stepping into Schmeichel's shoes as I thought Siegrist said he was leaving at the end of the season and surely it's time Bain was moved on.

Hopefully the Hatate talk will come to nothing, it would leave us with a big rebuild. We already need a LB, CB, LW and RW after Idah and Bernardo sign

First signing done, Viljami Sinisalo in as backup id guess to Schmeichel

https://x.com/CelticFC/status/1813291259357810802?t=l0z1G2BUesg3wu_T0do0oQ&s=19

Kasper Schmeichel signed now

Great win today with goals from Hatate, Scales, Kuhn and Ralston. Same old stuff from the officials though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Good way to start off the season, looked very sharp throughout the team. Definite pen for the challenge on Kyogo.

Less encouraging was that in the post match interview Rodgers seemed less confident around signings than he was a few weeks ago. We're going into the season weaker than we were last year and there needs to be serious movement in the next few weeks. MOR is almost certain to leave and without him we are much weaker.

The club need to back the manager and strengthen the squad, as it stands the CL is going to be embarrassing

Yep. Good start after a good pre season. Brendan’s second season with these players showing the effect of his quality. He’s a top class manager, absolutely top drawer and the club and some of the fans (including one or two on these pages that ought to know a lot better) should be taking a hard look at themselves for the lack of support for the manager at times last season.

I digress.

Clearly we have everything we need with Brendan as manager to dominate domestically. As you say the board now needs to get the finger out and take advantage of this opportunity with a quality manager at the helm and back him to the hilt with the resources at the club. It’s likely MOR will go. Sell him and spend the money on players. We have loads of money anyway to spend before we sell anyone. Still a few weeks to go but Lawwell and the board and the Lawwell Loyal in the support are really being shown up for the cowards that they are. Still time for Lawwell and the board to redeem themselves. They better get the finger out.

That was my initial thought at the time was that Kyogo must have been offside as the foul by their keeper was an absolute stonewaller. It sure didn't take long for the "honest mistakes" crew to get going for the new season. Just crazy that one though even by their admittedly low standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

………

• Advertisement

Good start here 2 up at Easter Road

Just taking Kyogo off now after the 70 minute mark. The Celtic board sitting on 100 million in the coffers are a disgrace. We have a brilliant manager but they are so slow at getting transfers done and backing him properly. Idah probably on the way but it takes forever for these deals to get over the line. We could do much better in the CL this season as well as pick up more domestic silverware by spending some of that resources available. The board letting the club down again.

Good win and clean sheet

It is very frustrating with the way we do business in the transfer market, the only time we really injected some pace was when Ange came to Celtic

We're most likely going to end this window weaker than we were last season when someone meets O'Reilly's valuation which is unforgivable with the money we have.

Even replacing Hart who announced his retirement in Feb was down to the manager ringing and ex player of his a few weeks ago because we have no scouting department. It's a joke how we do business and the ambition of the board seems to be limited to finishing above Rangers

and a certain Peter Lawwell was not in the building at the time!

Today was remarkably comfortable considering how many really tough days even when we have won we have had at Easter Road for a number of years now. Up early 2-0 and pretty much cruised from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sky Sports News has just announced that Celtic have agreed with Norwich over the permanent transfer of Adam Idah. An initial fee of £8.5m is to be paid upfront with another £1m in addons. A real show of intent from the club's owners. He did brilliantly when he joined on loan in the second half of last season.

Delighted we've signed Idah, did very well last year and still improving.

Now we just need a LB, LCB, CM, winger and another striker

Great news. A few more signings of that type of ambition needed and hopefully we can get some good results in the CL campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Kwon has gone out on loan to Hibs for the entire season. He was on loan at St Mirren for the second half of last season where he was ever-present in the side.

That will be a make or break loan for Kwon, saw bits of him at St Mirren last year and was impressed. Hopefully he'll do it again for Hibs and come back to us ready to challenge for a place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OdCknOcrys&t=1s

Great win today, good fast football

3-1 with a two for Maeda and Kuhn

Strange in a way how much today was a replica of last week against the same Hibernian side. Overall a good performance and comfortable win with the first half in particular superb albeit with the goals not quite reflecting the quality. Nice to see we got a home draw for the Quarter-Final next month as well against Falkirk.

Sad to see O'Riley go but hey ho, more cash in the bank for Celtic - I bet they do not splash the cash to replace him

• Advertisement
Advertisement