Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Pan European?

• 02-08-2024 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all, I've been learning how to ride since last October and am reasonably confident at this stage. I currently ride a XJ900 and was considering getting a Pan European 1100. I haven't done my test yet but was wondering is too early to get something bigger?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JP 1800

The question you really need to ask yourself are you able for the additional weight of a pan. They are 300 kg and this is a big increase over the xj900. I have a 300kg bike a k1200gt and the difference in the weight compared to my Deauville is very noticeable. When riding the weight difference is a bit more subtle but moving the k1200gt around the garage takes a lot more effort than the Deauville. If I drop a 300kg bike I will struggle to get it up, I did knock over the Deauville once and just managed to get it back up.

The Deuville and the xj900 are similar weight, the k1200 and the pan are similar weight so thats where my comparison comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭gerarda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What will you be using the bike for and what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

The Pan European is a nice bike , a friend of mine has one but the seat is a little too tall for me, it's a monster, the weight will be really noticeable. He has the 1300.

I can barely get my leg over it especially because of the big top box he has on it, he has the side boxes too good storage.

What about the NC750x ? I know a lot of people consider them slow but they've got a decent 58 Hp all the same and 51 ft-lbs of torque at 4750 revs

The Pan European has 110 Hp and 82 ft-lbs torque at 6000 revs

Think of the NC750x like a diesel, do the job and still has plenty of power and it's economical too and the Pan European to go fast at well above legal speeds if that's your thing, fine for the Autobahn maybe.

The NC750x can have the top and side boxes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Pan is a capable bike but also a bit of a bus.

Unless you're planning on doing 5000km+ two-up tours in the near future, it's much more bike than you need.

Have you passed your test OP? Taken any additional training?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

Non additional training, I haven't done my test yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

I agree that the real question is what will you be using it for.

I would think something like a Pan European would be great for just that — cruising effortlessly across a continent on motorways. Which would imho be intensely boring and better done on four wheels with a decent sound system and AC. (Actually, for the same reason, I don't get the GS fad… puts on riot helmet)

Generalising wildly, most motorcyclists avoid unnecessary journeys on motorways, and prefer twisties, both for riding pleasure and as a way of experiencing new places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

The 1100 Pan is ancient now. Even the youngest 1300 is knocking on 10 years old.

If you do start looking at 1100s make sure you give the steel swingarm a good poke with a screwdriver. These rot away and decent replacements are very hard to find. Both the 1100 and the 1300 were good bikes back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1100 had a death wobble issue, I think?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Heard about the weave issue in police bikes in NI.

Found this good thread on the subject:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yamaha FJR does a similar job to the Pan 1300 but it's a good bit lighter (I think).

I'd hang on to the XJ for a while, do your test, build up the skills a bit more, see what sort of riding you do and then maybe look at changing the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I threw my leg over an FJR the other day, some weight! I know with the right pilot, they can be a good bike but unless I was doing long distances 2 up, wouldn't be for me.

XJ is going great plus gets lots of compliment s when I'm out and about.

What's the attraction of a Pan, so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Variety is the spice of life I suppose. Some motorcyclists change bikes all of the time. Funnily enough, I'm the complete opposite, I hang on to my stuff for ages…I've only ever sold 2!

Advertisement