Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭klr87

Has fasting before mass been mentioned? As I recall, eating from an hour before the communion time was verboten.

Explaining the terrors of the confession booth to youngsters might also take some doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yes, we used go to 10.30 mass so communion was "served" around 11.00.

Breakfast had to be eaten by 10.00 at the latest. If you slept in, you'd have to go to mass hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,163 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All copied from the old RIC rules. My great great grandfather was fined a few months wages and moved across the country for knocking up my great great grandmother. Wasn't allowed marry her for three years after the baby was born. In the 1880s, but the same rules were kept.

He would have lived in staff quarters the entire time so having a wife and kids meant they had to accommodate them too. He did eventually make Sergeant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Probably been mentioned before but smoking in the house.

Not a criticism because it was the done thing at the time but I can remember the kitchen full of smoke when a few of the neighbours would call to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ashtrays, all the different types of ashtrays.

From the big square ones with the make of cigarettes printed on them.... obviously lifted from the pub!

The tall pedestal ones with either a glass ashtray screwed in or a steel conical type shape...these may also have been lifted from a pub.

Then the compulsory "Santa ponsa" ashtrays brought home from whatever package holiday you went on.

Then the more smaller discreet ashtrays in the houses of people who smoked but tried to pretend they didn't that the ashtray was just for guests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not done much nowadays. If you lit up in someone else’s house now (without asking permission) they’d probably be annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Archeron

Theres a color that still to this day i call "seventies glass ashtray smoky brown", was very fashionable im its day.

We have a couple of them still. Though never used these days I'm kinda fond of the ould orange brown ashtrays!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fraggle Rock . You know the ear worm . Dance your cares away , worries for another day …………

I see your Fraggle Rock, and I raise you: The Muppet Show, the mainstay of weekend light entertainment for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Goodigal

Was only telling my son yesterday about working in an office where everyone smoked and I remember the big Benson and Hedges ashtray on a desk between 2 women would be piled high at the end of the day. Like something out of The Royle Family! Surrounded by smokers and yet it was grand!

There were rumours of smokers being preferred to fill certain positions, because the people already working there were chain-smokers. Telephone exchanges (usually staffed by women) were a case in point.

Telephone exchanges? Remember them? 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A friend of mine worked in the old P&T exchange in Dublin back in the 70’s. He said the office was engulfed in a perpetual cloud of smoke from the amount of people chain smoking in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Communal fitting rooms. Who ever thought they were a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Tar on the walls and ceilings too- obviously a very common thing in old pubs but even private houses- I remember a friends house growing up- both parents smoked like chimneys- their kitchen was literally yellow brown from all the smoke- rank😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Tar on the walls and ceilings too- obviously a very common thing in old pubs but even private houses- I remember a friends house growing up- both parents smoked like chimneys- their kitchen was literally yellow brown from all the smoke- rank😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Being able to watch a film from start to finish without googling where you know an actor from, where they grew up, who they married etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Watching a film or TV show and having no way to figure out where you've seen that face before :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Archeron

Butter vouchers. A weekly stipend to allow you to buy quality butter at a discounted price, but still much higher price than what you could actually afford. These were the margerine days.

Some supermarkets were strict on buying the right butter, but others would just take the voucher off the bill whether you bought 'dear butter' or not.

The strict ones led to a black market trade where they could be exchanged for anything, normally in a shop that was based in a shipping container outside somebodys house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We used to collect tokens off milk cartons..also the butter packets had tokens (they were rank to hold onto!)......come the end of the year- all the family would pitch in and we would end up with a few thousand tokens or so ...if we were lucky we might get a set of towels or a kettle!

The innocence of it all....people had fùck all in the 80s.. now we have too much...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,163 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flahavans Oats still does this, only brand I'm aware that still has something

Lyons Tea, Donegal Creameries Milk and Maxwell House Coffee were the ones we collected at home in the 80s/90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Driving at night in the countryside during the summer months, the windscreen and bonnet would be covered with dead insects and moths.

Don't notice this any more, maybe due to climate change and far less insects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nodge burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

We used to call them tobacco vouchers 🚬😁.

Advertisement