Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was quite nervous about the driving this summer since it was my first time driving on the right and in a RHD car on top

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, however I would say the motorway was quite annoying on the way out. French drivers can have a tendency to drive right up behind you before overtaking

Otherwise it wasn't very stressful, and after a while I'd settled into the system. It helped that my wife was coaching me at the roundabouts (politely, not shouting at me 😂) and the kids were behaving themselves mostly in the back. If either of those weren't the case then it would have been more stressful

I could definitely see how it wouldn't be enjoyable if you find the driving stressful, each to their own as you say. The important thing is that you enjoy your holiday

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Irish Ferries sailings to France for 2025 are up earlier than usual. Looks like only the WB Yeats is covering Dublin to Cherbourg and prices seem to be down so demand must have been softer this year as mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oh I'm fine with the actual driving. It's the wife and kids having panic attacks that bother me 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Did the crossing from Cherbourg to Rosslare with Condor Ferries‘ Commodore Clipper chartered by Brittany ferries there last week and it was spot on , and for the price (338 euro one way for 2 adults 2 kids and superior cabin on one of the busiest weekends of the year) fantastic. It‘s a relatively small ferry with 300 passengers compared to 1800 on the WB Yeats, so you've just a restaurant and a small bar but that does the job for the number of passengers.

The superior cabin was smaller than a standard on say the wb yeats, not much floorspace /storage space but bathroom was surprisingly large. There was USB sockets built into the reading lights and 2x Uk sockets also with USB sockets. Beds weren't super comfy but everyone slept fine. The one MASSIVE plus point was free wifi which worked. Its not quick enough for streaming (kids have difficulty to grasp that concept but anyhow) with a speed test of between 0.6 and 1 meg, but for reading news and listening to the radio spot on.

Food on board was really good. Most seems to be freshly made on board and for the euro equivalent of €14.60 for a main, good value too. Soft drinks were 3.10 stg a pint, so for a captive audience grand, but with Guinness for €7.10 for 440ml and lagers a similar price they make up for not being a rip off for food and minerals.

Theres moves by Brittany to take an increased share in Condor and take it over, so this mightnt be the last of channel island ferries operating to Ireland in the future.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cwyxl99e9pvo?fbclid=IwY2xjawEh5XhleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHWKAv1jWnPLljA7rshTfICfSH12JWIiLhyVKpgq7qFA1zKATSW_bfv6W6A_aem_oW2QOgAyrYVrCNekHOg4DA

Post edited by munchkin_utd on

There's an early booking promotion as well. For whatever reason it didn't apply the discount until I'd clicked through to the passenger details page

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

Cheers I just booked. Prices slightly cheaper than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭I dont know

We went to Domaine des Ormes in the last week of June this year & loved it. It was our first time doing the ferry & campsite holiday.
    We'll want to go longer next time, and probably a different campsite just to see somewhere new.

Checking prices & they've increased for me..
    This year, Saturday to Saturday for last week of June we paid €1,198.00, but for 2025 it's €1,686.40 (with a 20% discount)
    That's for 2 adults & 3 kids
    It might be best to fly for us in 2025

I wonder do the schools close earlier next year, this year is was the 1st July I think so prices were still low up to the end of June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Electric

We typically go end June/early July, but it was much cheaper (€1250 compared to €1650) to go mid July back early August. So maybe play around with dates, if you can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Not much talk about Stena from Rosslare to Cherbourg, seems people prefer IF or BF.

We are bringing our dog and looking at pet cabins on the Stena Vision so WB Yates from Dublin is out. What's the general consensus on Stena?

Question: if you were leaving La Palmyre (6 hr drive from cherbourg) on Saturday morning and not getting ferry from Cherbourg until Monday afternoon what would you do on way back to Cherbourg.

We've done Puy de Fou and some of Normandy beaches on previous trips so any other suggestions and recommendations where to stay. We'd like to the majority of the driving Saturday and do something on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Baybay

Inadvertently travelled by Stena on a couple of winter trips when IF cancelled or rerouted us.

Once was in the latter stages of Covid & I don’t remember the name of the ferry now. We had a pet cabin which we hadn’t booked as our pet was, unusually not coming with us on that occasion but there were no other cabins available at such short notice. It had handy access to the open air car deck. Otherwise it was exactly the same as any other cabin except it had lino type flooring.

On another reroute when our pet was with us, he came into the cabin. Again just off the car deck which made loading & unloading very easy. Our pet is a cat & has a secure enclosed collapsible tent type kennel in which he travels. It has his sleeping space, room for his litter tray & feeding bowl. It fitted lengthwise between the bunks & was ideal. Again the flooring was uncarpeted.

While it was nice to be handy to the car because of all his things that we needed to bring to the car & back again, because of the facilities on IF when he’s in the cattery, we don’t need to bring so much from the car to begin with. Dogs probably require less but it would be a consideration for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Haven,t sailed on her myself but my niece and her kids did a couple of months ago and they were very happy with it. An older ship but well maintained and lots to do on board. Food also reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We did the exact same thing as you and booked two nights in Caen. Did the bul of the driving on the Sat and spent Sun in the town market and in the castle and abbey nearby. Some lovely restaurants there too.

Alternatively, go to Mont St Michel and stay in that area and visit the abbey?

Had Mont St.Michel as a maybe but hadn't thought of Caen. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Stayed in a small town called Pontorson for a night recently. It was nice enough. Only 15mins from Mont St Michel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Peckham

We also stayed in Pontorson on way from ferry this year (got in on Friday, but couldn't check into campsite until Saturday).

As with poster above we visited Mont-Saint-Michel.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gaillimh

Don’t suppose anybody has stayed at Les Fontaines in Doussard on Lake Annecy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Hi all.

Looking to do trip next summer for first time. The choices are a bit overwhelming.

We will have a two year old when we travel. Happy to drive max 5 hrs from roscoff for the right spot. Looking to go before schools break and things get busy so maybe middle June onwards for 2 weeks. Ideally looking for playground/pool etc for young lad entertainment and maybe areas close ish by for day trips if you don't get the weather.

Would be really grateful for suggestions of sites that would work or recommended. I spent many holidays myself in la garangeoire but that was 25/30 years ago now.

I remember trying to book hotels near Cherbourg when our ferry home got delayed and one thing I noticed is that family rooms seem unpopular in France

Some hotels would give adjoining rooms, but most would only offer two bedrooms for 4 people (2 adults, 2 young kids)

At least that seemed to be the situation on booking.com

In a pinch the kids could share a bed, but it was something I found a bit frustrating. I'd personally prefer one point of entry to and from a hotel room, I've too many nightmares of the kids going missing on holidays

Am I missing something, or just being dumb? I might also be looking for somewhere to kill a day or two on the way back next summer

I'll admit it was a late booking on a busy weekend (D-day) but there were plenty of rooms going, just double and twin rooms only

Is it better to look for holiday homes or apartments instead? I know one family rented an Airbnb and it worked out quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Des Menhirs or La Garangeoire are both within that 5hr travel time. Both are nice. I'd lean more towards the further because at least you have the sea and the town on your doorstep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭josip

Booking can only work with the details given to them by the hotels regarding room occupancy. A few times, we've contacted the hotel directly and they've been able to fit in an extra bed. But 4 beds in a hotel room will always be a bit of a squash, unless it's a room specifically designed to be for a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Sorry I think I'm being thick but I can't find any Rosslare sailings on the condor website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it’s via Brittany ferries as Brittany is chartering that ferry for one return sailing per week for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

For hotels in France we used the Louvre Hotels App. They have 11 brands of hotel within their group. We got 3 star rooms on a Saturday night stopover for €70 in Tours. All 2, 3 and 4 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭suilegorma

For a one or two nighter in that situation we would split up each sleep with a child. We do it too if we can only get two double beds as our kids hate sharing a bed with each other (but have no such qualms around sharing with us!)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rex_turner

We found Camping le Fief in St Brevin Les Pins excellent for that age. The indoor and outdoor pool is really well set up for toddlers. Also a playground especially for toddlers and a few other little playgrounds dotted around a compact site. Nice stroll along the shoreline into the village. Great area to rent a bike and trailer for the little one. Good location for day trips. About 3.5 hours from Roscoff. They also have a "baby" club but we didn't use it so can't comment.

Also did la Garangeoire when our kids were small and lovely site but pool was only ok and have drive to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Peckham

Driving from Les Sables d'Olonne area to Cherbourg tomorrow and want one of our stops to involve a decent supermarket. Any suggestions of one en-route that's easy enough to get in and out of?

Advertisement