Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Other suggestions were highlighting post of the day, most thanked post etc. Not certain whether mods thought this was possible with current tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree charters need overhauling and updating especially in CA/IMHO

I also think a stickied feedback suggestions etc., thread directly in CA/IMHO would be beneficial, I know we have this general forum but as that is probably the busiest forum it may help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it makes a difference. The people making CA a cesspit don't care and the rest is mostly common sense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Necro, this is the second thread that has gone in to a lot of detail about the state of the site. And we've had mods on both threads blame the user base for how it is around here at this point.

And now this.

It seems likely that very little conversation happened since the last thread 5 months ago within Boards because zero updates appeared either on the original thread, or on here when I started this to ask for said updates.

This continuous blaming of the userbase without any suggestion of how to fix things is tiresome. And the absence of senior Boards people of showing any interest in taking part in the discussion is telling in itself.

And I'm not saying that because I personally feel called out or anything like that, I don't. I've already said that Boards should reflect the conversations that are happening in society and I've at least offered a solution where maybe the unpleasantness could happen out of sight of all but those who asked to have access to it but several people say that that cannot work so fine, so be it.

Is there any chance at all of Boards doing what they said they were going to do and coming up with solutions instead of blaming the same userbase that was here before the changeover for the problems that exist now. I didn't start this thread to see the same head to heads that exist in several other threads right now, I started it hoping to see some genuine efforts being made to help the site take a step forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭nachouser

Well, the thread is going down the sh*tter now, so I might as well post.

Furze99 - example of your stuff. The soap boxing is evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Hilarious that you left out the point that I keep repeating.

Your entire list is utterly useless and lacks any sort of functionality if the site rules themselves are not defined, posted and stickied on every forum. (Abusive PM's would be in this sticky)

They should be the ones the owners/management write up/approve.

Under that charter, should be the forum specific charter that is agreed with the mods, the community, and signed off by the cmods/admin.

Both sets should be re-appraised annually in a thread on that forum by mods and users alike, and altered as needed.

Threads cannot be moderated effectively by anyone, let alone the handful of mods we're clinging onto at the minute if they have to decide by gut what should be allowed or not.

You look for more moderation of current affairs and directly underneath that, less moderation of current affairs....

Come on, that's kind of funny

As for your "abuse of the report feature" as an ex mod, rarely, rarely happens. It's relied on too much. Saying that, I remember hearing of people getting temporary site bans for constant spurious reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bans shouldn't be permanent, that thread is an example of how the lack of moderation resources pushes for an expedient solution that has the potential to lower traffic to the site and drive it down the path of being a "graveyard".

That said if a new user arrives spouting hateful rhetoric or is clearly acting the eejit a site ban should apply as it already does.

If someone is being a nuisance on thread, something like a ban for a day or two could be enough to impose a sanction, calm the discussion down and allow the poster to come back knowing that any further behaviour of that sort will result in a week's ban the next time and say, a month the time after that etc.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

The irony of this in light of your insistence that people you disagree with are to blame for ruining threads and looking for them to be banned to suit you is mesmerising.

Try suggesting something that's easy to be implemented, that can be actioned by the mods and admins without much hassle instead of throwing your toys out of the pram about banning everyone who upsets you.

Glazers Out!

Think you meant to post this in response to someone else, it makes no sense with respect to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

This thread is after getting popular…

…everyone on Olympic withdrawal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just looking at that thread it appears your thread ban was lifted and then reinstated?

That must be taking up a good bit of moderation time alone.

°°°°°

IIRC both bans were handed out for bickering with another user.

We can all do with a cool down period sometimes, short bans would accomplish that without DR threads needing to be set up.

Glazers Out!

I'm pretty certain myself and other posters know why you would not like the single US politics thread to go into politics... 🤣

QUICK!

SOMEONE GET ME A QUICK PICK!

TAKE A PHOTO!

TODAY IS MY LUCKY DAY!

I agree with nearly everything that Nullzero said on a post! AND IT WAS CONSTRUCTIVE!*

2 day ban

2 week ban

2 month ban

Forum ban

Site ban.

I don't think Vanilla can lift bans automatically, so it would be a case of a user PMing the mod, to say sorry, can you lift my ban?

(If they were to PM and say, my 2 days are up, lift the ban, I'd be tempted to add a day on for being rude!)

(*I hope you can take this in the light-hearted way I intended it to be)

People missed people running rings around each other. 😉

°°°°°

Chortle.

A sin bin could work wonders when you think about it. Would certainly eliminate a lot of hassle for mods.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

It’s very concerning to see a moderator display such obvious one sided views - referring to Israel’s actions as “genocide”.

I would be very worried to post in the associated thread and espouse the opposite view - it would be difficult to see how a fair hearing would be given.

As pointed out before, that is why there is a dispute resolution process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I said ah stop as I thought you would have preferred to answer for yourself.

Up to that point, there was only one rude poster, who had been seen off by the mods, proper order.

Are Israel's actions not genocide?

Should complaints of this nature not be referred to Disputes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Last time I checked, I'm entitled to an opinion.

I never, ever post in the Israel/Palestine threads on this site. This is exactly the sort of disingenuous comment that makes the place so unpleasant. It's the same when you were whining about people thanking abusive posts despite being more than happy to do that yourself on several occasions.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

°°°°°

Have you got any ideas on how to improve the site?

You feel it's turning into Stormfront after all, beyond bickering with people and bemoaning the owners of the site I'm at a loss as to what you're contributing here.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as people are entitled to their opinion of you, and with the greatest of respect, it's not possible to be the referee when you're so obviously partisan on threads often degenerating into less than civil exchanges.

I honestly can't think of another mod, cmod or admin on boards that gets as personally involved in heated exchanges as you do. It's a conflict of interest, particularly when you're making rulings in dispute resolution threads when you were bickering with the person in the thread they were banned from.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

°°°°°

I'm not just trying to stick the boot in, but there is a serious conflict of interest there.

They made a particularly off colour post about the stabbing of those children in Southport that was deleted, not after an enraged reaction from users..

I received this reply that I screen grabbed from a post replying to them after the original was removed...

I know this isn't the topic at hand here, but that isn't a rational or acceptable response from a mod.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So, thread bans are not permanent. They're simply a moderator instruction not to post in the thread again. If you then breach that instruction a mod can either apply a warning or a forum ban, depending on severity/frequency of breaches. I know when Covid was a hot thing and we had the old vBulletin it was easier to keep track of things like Flaneur is on about. You could see clearly if the poster had done it before etc. Now... Not so much unfortunately. Needs to be all manually done and when you don't have many mods on hand it can be difficult enough just dealing with reports from CA never mind going through the admin work attached (posting on thread, adding poster to OP, posting into the thread in the mod forum, PMing the poster.. not an exhaustive list) if you have 50 reports that's gonna take a heck of a long time to get through even if only say 20 are actionable.

Anyone can PM the mod who banned them at any stage and attempt to have it lifted by the way. Sometimes things are said in the heat of the moment and it can get people's backs up but a few hours/days/weeks after the event there's always time for negotiation and civil discussion and, from my perspective at least I would never be 'out to get someone' - just to enforce the rules!

Yeah, I think this thread is done now.

• Advertisement

Forum bans are applied in the vein that you're referring to there and do or should lift automatically. Trouble is with Vanilla, if you have to forum ban someone it doesn't send an auto PM to the poster informing them of such so if the mod is busy or simply forgets to PM the user informing them of said ban it can lead to confusion. This was not the case on old boards.

You are the person whinging about pile on? Like seriously?

°°°°°

That type of thing isn't particularly clear at all but thanks for clearing it up regardless.

Would applying an honor system of not posting for a set period be easier to manage?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

What's that got to do with the post you quoted?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Thanks for explaining. Are there any automation procedures that could be applied to the site to reduce that workload. More of a technical question than a mod issue but anything that could reduce inefficiencies would help mods and modding.

• Advertisement

°°°°°

Quite possibly, yes. But that would be for the mods of a specific forum to decide on (or admins if they want to make a carte Blanche rule on threadbans across the site)

It wouldn't be much harder than the current system just a case of having a thread in the specific mod forum that specified, for example, Joe Bloggs banned from the thread for 2 weeks. Then you have a record of this and if the same poster steps out of line again you increase the sanction or take action at a forum level etc. Once you have a record of it then any system can work really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sorry now how do you define that as a pile on? The last time I looked a pile is when there's numerous posters getting their oar in on 1 individual poster.

My thoughts on the matter is the issue is not the posters but rather Vanilla, it's been Vanilla since day 1. How can mods effectively do their job when the web hosting makes it so hard for them. There's never going to be a fix for this.

°°°°°

For any change to be worthwhile it needs to offer a better outcome for users and an easier process for mods that gives them less to do and does less to make them want to stop volunteering their time.

If escalation to Dispute Resolution can be circumvented it might be the best selling point of it as a concept.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Big Bag of ChipsAdministratorsPosts: 14,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ 09-08-2024 11:22am edited August 9

Some posters are under the mistaken impression that Feedback is a free for all where they can personally attack and abuse posters and volunteer moderators with impunity. This is not correct.

You will not be warned in this forum for providing feedback, positive, negative or otherwise. But you absolutely can expect to be warned for personal attacks or insults on other posters, groups of posters etc. Phrases such as "you lot", lazy name calling, derogatory terms towards anyone are not feedback and contribute nothing to discussions.

Anyone warned for such posts in this forum will not have the option of DRP.

This mod warning seems to be forgotten/ignored by posters/mods.

Ah look I get the frustration. I know there was a lot in the original thread and I wonder if that's half the problem, perhaps breaking it down to a base level might be easier for admins to apply.

We're all pretty powerless in terms of the site functionality, that's not something even admins can do but in terms of making some attempt to change things perhaps if we deal with the following initially... (This is only a suggestion btw feel free to put forward something else).

Clearer defined charter in terms of acceptable posting for CA in particular. Signed off on by mods of CA naturally (not my stomping ground anymore).

Another "drive for recruitment" of at least a couple more mods for the CA forum.

When I last looked, personal attacks were outside the charter.

This is a thread about feedback in general.

Trying to hang peopleis poor form and the majority of people can see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Guess who will be handling the dispute resolution process…

Or should I say, Guess who will be handling the dispute resolution process a few weeks later if you are stubborn enough to keep asking "Can anybody take a look at this?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How are mods recruited? I'm not asking for myself but if there is someone I'd feel might be a good candidate could I pm a mod or cmod or admin mod with that nomination so to speak

Only a clown with no life would go to DRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Good idea . Like the CA sticky but for feedback suggestions .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,394 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Boards just isn't as fun and lighthearted as before. Threads like "describe your first sexual experience with a movie title" and " I think my grinds teacher fancies me" were kind of what first drew me to the site. There's obviously real technical issues like the search function but the site has become far less jovial. When I said a year ago in the Biden thread that he was too old and senile I was met with accusations of defending rape and supporting racism. After the assassination attempt the number of posts openly wishing the assassination was successful and not being warned by Mods was shocking.

It's still good for things like the Olympics and asking questions about non controversial topics but there's lots of people on boards including some Mods who really need to calm the **** down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I haven't read the last 20 pages or so, so bear with me, but here's a crazy thought I just had (at 2:30am).

If the problems in CA are due to lack of moderation / not enough CA mods, then why not give every Boards CMod, and all Mods in the Social and Fun category the right to give on thread warnings in CA for ignoring of basic rules: e.g. racist, transphobic, flame baiting, etc? They've already passed the "mod suitability" process.

It would immediately increase mod presence on CA, and at least some of the crap might get nipped in the butt before it begins.

Such on thread warnings could be flagged to the official CA mods for review, (by the mod issuing the warning using the report function to flag it to them) with a view to the CA mods then issuing point warnings and threadbans, if required.

Now I'm going to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, it's Vanilla..

Also, "most thanked post" is probably going to be something offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The Cmod in question was baiting a poster to ignore mod rules and to post something recently on a thread.

The poster kept saying they couldn't discuss it but he kept on goading.

If the poster listened to the Cmod and got banned, the person who told them to break the rules would be reviewing the ban in dispute resolution.

Dispute resolution is a waste of time for everyone how it currently operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

7 minutes before this you are accusing a poster of soapboxing and their style of posting.

Here you are a few minutes later baiting a poster to come back to cause arguments.

Your post is a deliberate attempt to get a dig in at someone and to drag the thread off topic, it has nothing to do with feedback.

Maybe you should revisit your own posting style before offering advice on other people's.

This is a great example of what mods need to tackle, blatant attempts to cause arguments that end up spamming and ruining threads, tackling these would make things much easier for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

When it comes to HATE SPEECH, none should be tolerated, as used to be the case until fairly recently.
    Calling for the annihilation of ordinary Irish citizens, ordinary Israeli citizens or ordinary Palestinian citizens would rightly be sanctioned as hate speech but in the Ukraine/Russia forum calls for the annihilation of ordinary Russian citizens ORCS, is de jure, There are hundreds if not thousands of instances.
    Either hate speech is tolerated or it isn’t. There can’t be a situation where hate speech is acceptable against certain groups but forbidden against others.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement