Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Shed - Is 6 gauge galvanized strong enough for outside

• 12-08-2024 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi

Looking at a metal shed. Is 6 gauge galvanized durable (25 years +) and strong enough if bikes or 8 x 4 sheeting was leaning against it? would it dent easy?

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭monseiur

Standard galvanized corrugated sheeting is fairly easy dented. Best to clad the shed internally with 18mm plywood or OSB board, it will also help eliminate condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP 6 or16 gauge? 6 is a little heavy probably not quite thick enough to make an armored car but not far off. 16 gauge is about 1.5mm and good enough for the job.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭allycavs

Hi Its 6 gauge which is about 4-4.9mm depending on which site on google I check. I don't know if thats strong or would dent and bend easily?

I dont want to have to worry about condensation. If I have to add ply id prefer to just get wooden shed in first place. I thought enough air would get into shed to keep condensation at bay

You'll have to show me someone in Ireland that sells 6 gauge galvanized steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You'll be dripping in condensation if u don't go above and beyond about it.

• Advertisement

Hi Why is that? Maybe I misunderstood but 6 gauge is still only 4mm?

https://www.custompartnet.com/sheet-metal-gauge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

4mm thick steel is insanely heavy, have you ever handled a sheet of any type of cladding before?

Hi guys - no never lifted steel claading that i can remember. Thanks for all advice. I DM details to The Continental Op so not to publicly name supplier. thanks for advice and he identified its as 16 gauge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

16G is fine. That's the same thickness as a steel wheelbarrow which is used to hump concrete blocks and stone around.

In any case, for the most part strength comes from shape, not thickness. That's why steel sheds have ribs.

I identified it as not 6 gauge ;-) 16 gauge would be an obvious possibility but some of the cheapest sheds are made out of 0.6mm thickness sheets so thats another strong possibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement