Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electoral systems discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭rock22

Your last three are not problems that, in any sense, need to be solved.

Your second point relates only to transfer of votes exceeding the quota. How inaccurate is our present system? What proportion of votes are transferred from a surplus? I think recounts show that this 'problem' only rarely comes into play.

Your first 'problem' could be valid, if there was were some reason why time for a traditional count was not available. The end of the world perhaps. Otherwise, in setting the the dates of the vote, the count and the date for the Dáil to reconvene, the time for the count is more than adequately factored in.

I still think you are suggesting solutions for a problem that , for the most part, does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Another advantage is that the subtle randomness that exists in our current system of counting could be eliminated.

For example, when we do transfers, the number of ballots transferred to each lower preference is done on a pro-rata basis but the actual ballots transferred are effectively chosen randomly (whatever was on top of the pile).

When the candidates that those votes transfer to are eliminated those same transferred ballots are examined again and they transfer again to further candidates.

So you could have 2 ballots.

The first has preferences

• A - 1
    • B - 2
    • C - 3
    • D - 4

The second ballot has

• A - 1
    • B - 2
    • C - 4
    • D - 3

Imagine candidate A exceeds the quota on the first count. Both of those ballots will be examined and the fact that they both have B as their second preference will count toward the total number of transfers to B. However only 1 of these may actually be in the parcel of ballots transferred to candidate B.

Now imagine candidate B gets eliminated. Well candidate C or D getting that ballot is going to depend on which of those ballots were transferred from A → B, which itself is determined randomly under our current system.

If however the ballots were scanned then a computer could store all of that transfer information and calculate in a precise manner who all those voters who went #1 A, #2 B, collectively wanted as their third choice in an accurate manner.

It could also do fractional transfers - since most of the pro-rata calculations don't result in whole numbers.

@Brussels Sprout "Another advantage is that the subtle randomness that exists in our current system of counting could be eliminated."

No, not another advantage, that was problem 2 of Sam Russel post.

"It could also do fractional transfers - since most of the pro-rata calculations don't result in whole numbers."

Then it wouldn't be 'single transferable vote' would it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Single Transferable Vote can be implemented by proportional single votes being transferred in proportion to the intentions of the voter, as required by the quota, and not divided by happenstance as to whether a particular vote was selected above a similar one that was not.

Any computer based counting would have to be based on fractional votes so that all votes are counted equally, and not subject to the vagaries of chance selection.

That's not what the single in STV means.

The Northern Ireland Assembly uses PR-STV with fractional transfers.

Perhaps. But my reading of the Irish Electoract act , is that it is a single transferable vote

Quote from Act

"…the poll shall be taken according to the principle of proportional representation, each elector having one transferable vote.

(2) In this section “transferable vote” means a vote which is—

(a) capable of being given so as to indicate the voter's preference for the candidates in order, and

(b) capable of being transferred to the next choice when the vote is not required to give a prior choice the necessary quota of votes, or when, owing to the deficiency in the number of the votes given for a prior choice, that choice is excluded from the list of candidates."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But that is not the way the Senate voting takes place - fractional votes are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Different legislation applies (Seanad Electoral (Panel Members) Act, 1947) and for counting purposes each vote is multiplied by 1000.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.electoralcommission.ie/media-release/national-election-and-democracy-study-neds-from-june-elections-provides-valuable-insights-into-irelands-voters-and-democracy/

• 32% of online respondents agreed that the length of the ballot paper impacted how they voted ……
    • Of newly registered voters in the online survey, 29% of those were prompted to register by either social media, TV or radio ads …

Thanks to Gavan Reilly tweet about the report.

Wasn't there complaints about MNW ballot?

Certainly in my local polling station, the arrangements were very different from normal, and it certainly interfered with my voting.

There were extra booths placed in the centre of the small room which reduced privacy. Plus it was crowded when normally there were few there with a large group of women in burqas who appeared to be students on a sightseeing tour.

The length of the ballot paper also was very difficult to handle given the small size of the shelf used as a working place to mark the ballot. I did not attempt to read down the list of no-hopers merely voting 1,2,3 I had already decided on and left it at that.

Not a satisfactory way to conduct an election.

But only 9% 'strongly agreed' that the length of the ballot paper impacted how they voted ……(23% responded they were 'somewhat impacted' . What does that mean? I was somewhat impacted because I had to read a longer list. But I managed to do just that )

The problem was worse in Dublin, with the shorter list, than in MNW with the longest list.

The problem was worse in the ABC social class.

The extra booths were probably a consequence of the ridiculously long ballot paper - people were taking much longer to vote than before.

Not sure what the relevance of burquas is, perhaps you can explain?

For the EU elections in particular, the barrier to entry is ridiculously low. Constituencies with electorates of over a million and only a very small deposit or endorsement from a few dozen voters required. Candidates need to have genuine commitment to the process and skin in the game. It was said at the time that some student union elections were harder to secure a nomination for than the European Parliament elections, which is completely daft.

It appears some were not interested in being elected or campaigning at all but just (ab)using the nomination and election process to get their propaganda piece into hundreds of thousands of homes at extremely low cost. There was one religious nutcase in Dublin in particular whose leaflet, distributed at taxpayer expense, was Virgin Mary this, Fatima that. It occurred to me that he had no interest in actually being elected at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We should bring back deposits - they still exist but you don't have to pay them if you get enough signatures; that should be dumped.

I did see at least two council candidates in Kildare went the deposit route (and lost them) as this was specifically mentioned on the results sheets!

The need for extra booths could only have been anticipated because they were there for the whole day, so were not the result of experience.

The point of the burqas was that the group of about 20 young women were clearly not there to vote and were noticeable because of their dress, being dressed in black from head to toe. There were hanging about aimlessly, like they were waiting to be brought to their table.

The room was not large enough to hold that many people, and their presence was not helpful because it made the room overcrowded. Anyone not there to vote should have been hunted if they were not there to vote.

Now, I just think the whole atmosphere was not satifactory, and should have been controlled better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I disagree with this - money shouldn't be a barrier to running. But 60 signatures to be nominated when the average quota was 100k is ridiculously low.

Taking my own constituencies, the quota for Ireland South was 114,761. Cork South Central in the last GE was 11,429. Cork City South East in the most recent locals had a quota of 2,238.

The number of signatures you need for locals is 15 (or €100 deposit). The number for general is 30 (or €500). The number for Euros is 60 (or €1,800).

So the local limit is half the Dáil limit (when it's ~1/5 of the size). And the Euro is twice that of the Dáil but it's a constituency that is 10 times bigger.

Everybody who ran for the Euros in South got more than 600 votes, but I wonder how many of them would have managed to get 600 declarations of support in advance?

No credible campaign can be run without money and the deposit is less (probably much less) than the cost of the "free" leaflet dropped into every home it gets you. That's an abuse of the system and needs to be stopped.

Scrap the cap!

^^ For a European Parliament election in particular.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

If anyone still wanting e-voting?

The nation’s best hackers found vulnerabilities in voting machines — but no time to fix them

Organizers and participants at the DEF CON Voting Village found cyber vulnerabilities in everything from voting machines to e-poll books, but there is no time before the November elections to fully implement their findings.

LAS VEGAS — Some of the best hackers in the world gathered in Las Vegas over the weekend to try to break into voting machines that will be used in this year’s election — all with an eye to helping officials identify and fix vulnerabilities.

The problem? Their findings will likely come too late to make any fixes before Nov. 5.

If the US with the resources they have can't fix the machine's, what hope would Ireland have to do so?

The idea that Ireland would ever agree to eVoting by machine is hopelessly outside the sentiment of the debacle of the last time that was tried. Probably for living memory.

All that is proposed if the e counting be used where the existing ballots would be scanned, verified, and then a certified software system would crunch the data tables to come up with a verifiable result. It would always possible to revert to the coming system.

It could be checked at all stages, and the data tables (anonymised) could be poured over by the various interested departments of any Irish university to come up with startling discoveries of public intentions. Those tables could be the basis of many PhD theses over the time before the next election, and perhaps much longer.

• Advertisement

Ah yes remember when the "certified software system to crunch the data tables" turned out to be an unsupported version of Microsoft Access?

We have an extremely open, transparent, and most importantly trustworthy voting and counting system - we have nothing whatsoever to gain from changing that and a great deal to potentially lose.

Scrap the cap!

Well, there is some truth in that until the scale of the EU elections are taken into consideration.

If there are30 candidates the ballot paper is too big.

It is too big for the voter. It is too big for the ballot box. It cannot be mixed for randomization, It is too big for the counting and even the tallymen.

It is just to big.

So either restrict the number of candidates, or go for electronic counting.

The barrier to entry for the EU elections (number of signatures from voters) was lower than some student union elections. That is just farcical so the answer is pretty obvious.

Candidates who see the electoral process as a bit of a laugh or (especially with the leaflet into everyone's home) a means of promoting whatever crackpot agenda consumes their life will be no loss to the democratic process.

Scrap the cap!

I really can't understand why discussion on this is still on going

The ballot paper was not too big for the voter.

The ballot paper went into the ballot box without a problem

It was counted just fine.

We declared our successful elected MEPs before some other countries

I have hear no voter

in my age group, over sixties, complain about it or even talk about it except as a passing comment

The last thing this country needs is people interfering in our electoral system because it is one of the best anywhere in the world and I , and many of my generation, treat any ideas to 'improve it' with great suspicion

A good third of those candidates really shouldn't have been there.

In Dublin 9 candidates of 23 received less than 1% of first preferences

In South, 7 of 23, in Midlands-NW 10 of 27 (one of them didn't even get 0.1%)

Scrap the cap!

So one third of candidates got less than 1% of first preferences.

Surely that proves beyond reasonable doubt that the bar is too low for candidates to get on the ballot. That alone would make the counting process easier and more manageable. So the number of candidate would be approx 14 to 16, reducing the size of the paper and easier to decide who to vote for in order of preference.

How is it democratic to have 27 candidates to choose from?

How is it democratic to have 27 candidates to choose from?

How is it not democratic to have 27 candidates to choose from?

So how many candidates should there be? 27, or 57, or 2,700?

Clearly, there has to be a limit of some sort. A candidate needs to get more than 1% of first preference, but maybe 5% of a quota would be a better figure, and a hefty deposit to lose.

It should be more than an ego trip or a popularity contest.

The most efficient would be if you could limit it to just one candidate. Count would be so quick. And eventually you could get rid of ridiculous elections and counts altogether.

You lose your deposit, if you paid one; and fail to get election expenses with less than 25% of a quota.

I wouldn't be happy with the limit being that high if we introduced compulsory deposits, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So only wealthy people get to run for election?

Ballot papers are anonymised anyway, so there is nothing to be done to anonymise the vote. The problem is that a voter could effectively choose a unique pattern of preferences, and then use that pattern to identify their individual vote in the mix. This opens up the system to vote selling and duress voting.

The 25% relates to the total votes acquired before elimination which is fair enough.

But with less than 5% of a quota for first preferences should get the candidate eliminated (after initial surpluses are distributed). It is important that elections are taken seriously and not treated as a platform for ego trips, or pushing wacky political agendas with no real popular support.

You're not a fan of the Monster Raving Loony Party then I take it?

Never seen them on a ballot in my life.

Certainly not a fan of Raving Loony types in any shape, and joke candidates do not appeal to me in any way. In a STV-PR environment, they have no place.

A single vote identified by voting pattern is a sign of a bought vote - is this some kind of conspiracy being proposed?

Who would be bothered either buying or selling a vote? And for what purpose?

Just nonsense.

joke candidates do not appeal to me in any way. In a STV-PR environment, they have no place.

That makes absolutely no sense. The beauty of our voting system is that people can give their first preference to an outside candidate and still have that vote transfer so that it can play a critical role in the final shake up.

In a First Past the Post system candidates like that syphon votes away from the competitive candidates but that's not the case in our system.

In a FPTP system, joke candidates are a 'none of the above' vote. In other words, a spoilt vote - not party A or party B or party C - but a 'Up yours' vote.

In STV, why bother? The vote is never 'none of the above' because surely there are some worth a vote.

delete

delete

Who would be bothered buying a vote?

Someone who wants to influence the outcome of the election.

And for what purpose?

To influence the outcome of the election.

Who would be bothered selling a vote?

Someone who wants money.

There are serious protections built into the current system to prevent vote selling or duress voting. That's why you can't sign your vote or write on your vote or draw a symbol or logo on your vote. You can't do anything to identify your vote, because if you can identify your vote, you can sell your vote - or you can be put under duress by a family member or an employer or someone in your community.

Eliminating such protections would be very dangerous.

• Advertisement

How many cases have there been over the last 50 years of personation, vote buying, or vote selling?

There was a case of a well known politician's agent voting twice.

I think that is about it - one.

Seriously?

The current system prevents vote selling buying by design, and you don't see the obvious connection between that design and the absence of vote selling convictions?

They could have given them a No.1 but in the case of a lot of candidates they didn't, not even getting 1%, and in one EP candidate's case, not even 0.1%.

These candidates are not helping the democratic process, they're hindering it and in some cases using the platform of the election to push extremist racist and/or religious agendas which would not otherwise gain such publicity due to their nature and unpopularity.

Extremists getting a leaflet into hundreds of thousands of homes at the expense of a tiny depost, or just a few signatures, is an abuse.

Scrap the cap!

Exactly - millions of voters in FPTP in the UK are disenfranchised because they live in a 'safe' seat for a party they abhor, so they might as well make a protest vote out of it.

This thinking then fed into the Brexit vote… not everyone who voted Leave wanted to leave.

Scrap the cap!

It does, but some want a large expansion of postal voting, which removes those protections.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But, by definition, it has to be a unique pattern of preferences, so you could only use this to identify one bought vote. To win the election corruptly, you're going to need to buy more than one vote — a lot more — and you'll need a different unique pattern of preferences for each vote that you wish to buy.

Actually spotting all of those in a manual count is impossible. At no point are all the preferences on a ballot paper examined together; in each count the scrutioneer is only looking to identify the effective preference and put the ballot paper in the correct pile; the 27 preferences below it are not relevant and the ballot paper just isn't displayed for long enough for an election observer to note and record all the preferences.

(Of course, if you had an electronic counting system, then all the preferences on the ballot paper would be scanned and recorded together, so if you had access to this system, you could identify all the ballots with unique preference patterns. So, if this argument carries any weight at all, it's an argument against automated counting systems.)

• Advertisement

That's exactly my argument - against any system that releases voting details for research purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you're not the corrupt politician who has bought the vote, even if you spot the unique pattern and even if you conclude that the most likely explanation for this pattern is that the vote was bought, you'll have no way of identifying who cast the vote. Only people actually involved in the corrupt transaction can know that.

The whole point about voting is that, while your identity is secret, your vote is public — it has to be, or it can't have any effect on the outcome of the election, which would defeat the whole point of voting.

The first preference on every ballot paper will be counted and the numbers published, and your first preference, or mine, will be reflected in the numbers published. The second preference on many ballot papers will be counted and reflected in the published numbers — exactly how many depend on how the count unfolds. And so on — every preference you write down may be counted and the result published. If you vote for no-hope candidate A, who is eliminated on the first count, and then transfer to no-hoper B, eliminated on a later count, and then no-hoper C, eliminated still later, everyone will know the number of ballot papers who gave thei first four preferences to A, B, C, someone else, in that order, and yours will be one of those papers.

In short, every preference you write on the ballot paper is potentially knowable to the world; some at least of them will be actually known. The only thing that isn't knowable is that you are the person who cast this particular vote.

Given all that, I'm not sure that making data from ballot papers avialable for research or scrutiny violates any fundamental principle. The only thing that's secret about your vote is your identity; nothing else. In particular, the details of how the vote was cast are not secret at all.

We need not be concerned that, even if you have ordered your preferences in a unique way, that you can be identified. Your vote can be identified as unique, but it can't be identified as your vote unless you make it known to someone that that is how you cast your vote, in which case the person who has disclosed your identity as the voter who cast this ballot is you.

That final point I'll agree with. I'm not sure exactly which election campaigns it applies to but it certainly did to the recent European elections where every candidate got to send a similar card in the post for free it seems. I got one from an absolute conspiracy theorist candidate and a few others from anti-immigrant candidates.

That's easily resolved though by no longer having the state pay for those cards - as opposed to restricting people from running for office in the first place.

Huh? Why would there be more likely to be a worthy candidate in a PRSTV election than a FPTP election?

If you want to send an "Up yours" message in a PR-STV election you can do so in exactly the same way. You simply give your number "1" or even an "X" to a "joke" candidate in exactly the same way as an FPTV vote and leave all of the other boxes empty.

That's the problem though. In creating a system that facilitates a voter to disclose their vote to a third party, you create a system that facilitates vote selling and duress voting.

While you can't identify who specifically cast a vote, the fact that a VERY specific vote was cast with a VERY specific pattern of preferences does confirm that specific vote has been cast - as instructed or as bought and paid for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement