Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts—give way to the right

• 12-08-2024 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

The Rules of the Road say "give way to traffic coming from the right or already on the roundabout".

I find this is somewhat ambiguous. If a vehicle on a junction to your right is approaching but hasn't yet reached their give way lines but you have reached yours, do you have to give way to them or not?

My view is that if you can pass your give way lines before the vehicle to your right can pass theirs, then you are technically on the roundabout and have priority. The circle of the roundabout is the major road and the junctions are minor roads. "Give way to traffic coming from the right" is there because the roundabout is one way and we go clockwise around it.

What say you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If there are more than one cars already waiting to enter the roundabout and there is only space for one, then cars to the right have right of way, if both cars can safely enter the roundabout without impeding each other, then both cars can enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

You give way to traffic to the right that is in or entering the roundabout.

But you also give way to vehicles ahead of you that may be moving lanes in order to exit.

But the biggest stupidity I see on a roundabout is people indicating that they are going ONTO a roundabout - rather than indicating what they plan to do on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

But can a vehicle be defined as "entering" the roundabout if it is still approaching its give way lines?

Lots of people would probably say yes but it's not very clear.

You need to use your judgement. If the other car sees you are stopped at the roundabout and know its their 'right of way' they might keep going instead of slowing down. If you decide 'I'm here first' and enter the roundabout at the last moment, they'll crash into you, and you'll be at fault for not yielding to the car to your right.

The key thing about roundabouts, is there isn't usually a stop sign. Drivers are not expected to stop at the roundabout, see who has priority, and then decide whether to go or yield.

At a roundabout, you need to assess whether you can safely enter a roundabout by looking at any cars already on the roundabout, or any cars to your right who may be about to join.

If there is a car heading towards the roundabout at 50kph from your right, and you're doing 5kph, and if you entering the roundabout would cause the other driver to have to slam on their brakes to avoid you, then you're in the wrong (even if the other driver should have been going slower when entering their side of the roundabout)

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree that you have to be very careful and cautious to avoid any collisions.

I'm just trying to look at it from a purely legal point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you enter the roundabout before someone else enters it then you have the right of way. They are not entitled to speed into the roundabout without considering the someone else may enter the roundabout before they do.

Or more simply, treat the roundabout like a junction. Assume that you're entering from a minor road onto a major road with a yield sign. If there is a car coming from your right, assume they're not going to slow down to let you join the main road. This applies whether they are 'on the roundabout' or 'approaching the roundabout'

the 'give way lines' aren't a thing. Its not a race to get to those lines first so you can suddenly be on the roundabout and then claim priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I would say the situation is different if a car is approaching the roundabout at 80km/h versus 20km/h

In general I take the view that if a car to the right is approaching at speed, they're probably going to try and go around the roundabout at speed

In that case, caution may be the better option. As my driving instructor said to me once "if you have to ask the question of whether you'll make it, then it might be better to just wait"

As for the exact definition of the law, I'll admit I'm not 100% sure. I believe the rule is that you yield to traffic already on the roundabout and theoretically all car would go around the roundabout at the same speed so you won't get in each others way

When theory meets practice however, you sometimes get a car crash

To pose a slightly different question, is it better to be in the right in a car crash, or in the wrong and avoid a crash?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

This is not the correct interpretation. Imagine a roundabout with 5 exits. North, South, East and West, feeding from and into main roads with mostly free flowing traffic that tend to join the roundabout at 50kph when traffic is free flowing, with one minor exit into an industrial estate with a sharp turn onto the roundabout that means traffic joins at 5kph…

The cars from the 5th entrance to the roundabout, the lets call it the 'northeast' entrance, will be arriving slower and will be entering from a very minor road onto a main road, so they should be much more cautious to allow heavier traffic to pass them rather than just getting onto the roundabout first and forcing cars that are already travelling faster to slam on the brakes to match their speed

• Advertisement

Let's say there's a small roundabout with only two cars, both going at the same speed. Car A is approaching from 6'O Clock and car B from 3'O Clock.

Car A gets to the roundabout first and proceeds because he says he has priority since he got there first.

Car B arrives at the roundabout slightly later than car A and proceeds because he assumes car A has to give way to him because he is to the right.

They crash. Who is at fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You cannot ram a car already on the roundabout because you are on their right.

The fundamental concept of roundabouts is that people entering have to give way to those already on the roundabout. Since roundabouts are clockwise, this is where the giving way to the right comes in.

Yes, I agree with you.

Britain has similar rules to us and I was watching stuff on YouTube and most of the people in the comments believed that you should give way to approaching traffic to the right that isn't yet on the roundabout. That's what most driving instructors over there seem to teach. It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It Makes sense allright. if you see a car going fast before it enters the roundabout on your right you should yield if you have not yet entered the roundabout or you could pull out before he enters and you want to risk loosing a leg with that car smashing into your drivers door. You will be in the right tho if it goes to court. You can hop into court then for some compo.

So you agree in principle that first on the roundabout has priority.

Obviously you wouldn't emerge if it might cause a collision, regardless of who has priority.

The rules of the road say you have to yield to drivers approaching the roundabout from the right, even if they're not already on the roundabout.

This argument seems to be boiling down to the definition of 'yield'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yes, it's "yield right of way". In other words, the car from your right has right of way and you shouldn't enter the roundabout unless it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The only actual legislation mentioning rules for roundabouts just says to go clockwise, otherwise regular junction legislation applies. You wouldn't enter a junction if can see you're going to impede someone else's progress, whether they're already in the junction or about to enter it. Likewise if you're going to be out of the way before they get there you can probably go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭creedp

Fully agree with the last point and this is where judgement comes in which a lot of people don't like to apply. They prefer the certainty of a red/green traffic light or even a stop sign as its a black and white decision with no judgement required.

In reality if approaching from 6 o'clock and see a car approaching the 3 o'clock entry you can judge its speed and decide you can safely enter the roundabout without obstructing the car about to enter to your right. Course if it's a BMW you plant the right pedal and get in ahead of him🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Rules of road state "You must yield to traffic coming from the right, but keep moving if the way is clear."

That would include those entering from the right including the dumbass approaching at 80kmh and barging his way through because he could see nothing coming to his right.

That he is driving with care and attention would not give another motorist the right to move onto the roundabout because the dumbass driver should have slowed down.

My guess, if something like this went to court a judge would ask if you were able to prevent an accident and if you were, you'd probably be found at least partially at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

But you're supposed to indicate left when entering the roundabout if you are leaving at the first exit.

So in my hypothetical scenario in post #12 you'd say Car A should give way to Car B even though Car B is not yet on the roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Can you give me the page number where this is stated in the Rules of the Road.

Page 134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Page 134

You must yield to traffic coming from the right or traffic already on the roundabout, but keep moving if the way is clear

as mentioned the question seems to be how far one should interpret "traffic coming from the right" vs "the way is clear"?

cars almost at roundabout?

20m away from roundabout?

etc.

But page 134 doesn't say to give way "even if they're not already on the roundabout."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP. It's no different than pulling out of a side road and turning left. You give way to traffic coming from the right.

The equivalent scenario to the car not having joined the roundabout but travelling at such a speed that they crash in to you would be a car on the main road where you can see them, but would have sufficient time to pull out and get up to speed, were they travelling at a reasonable pace. If they crash in to you, they would have to have been speeding, and would be at fault.

Whether that result would be corroborated by the insurance companies, or a court, would depend on a lot of factors.

Witnesses, skid marks, forensics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you are correct

but what could be meant by "traffic coming from the right" given it mentions "or traffic already on the roundabout"?

it must be traffic coming from the right that is not "traffic already on the roundabout"?

I think that is the question….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ive seen this a lot... I'm waiting to enter a roundabout. Cars are barreling onto it, from the right..nobody letting me on, and cars honking at me to move.

• Advertisement

Eh, yeah it does, not in those exact words, but that's what it says

Advertisement