Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've seen it written that Fulham are at very advanced stages of negotiations to get Diego Carlos from Villa (who will most likely be replaced by Lutsharel Geertruida). Leaking that they have bid for Anderson is likely to get Villa to agree with their newest bid for Carlos by showing they have other targets but tbh bidding half of what Palace value him at (was also mentioned by Romano who reported it) seems to suggest they aren't really going hard for him.

Speaking of Joao Felix, who was also linked to Villa. Even though I am still not fully sure I want him at Villa because of the risk associated with such a move but I think Chelsea wouldn't be a great move for him either as he would not be a guaranteed starter as Nkunku and potentially Palmer would be filling the role he would want to be playing. Unless they don't want one and are going to look for a more of a false no.9 type role (in which he would still be competing with the likes of Nkunku you would think they need more of a traditional no.9 type striker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Don't think Chelsea themselves know what they want tbh😂 they already have Nkunku, Palmer, Sterling and now Neto along with Jackson and Mudryk. That's not even mentioning Datro Fofana, Broja and Lukaku who are still there and a couple of young Brazilian lads too along with them already signing Dewsbury-Hall.

They have absolutely no need for Felix or Omorodion but this hoarding of players like some sort of new age Andy Warhol is the current legacy Todd Boehly is determined to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought the Gallagher deal was done and dusted, hasn't he been photographed in the Atleti shirt etc?

The two deals are separate. Gallagher is done afaik but Atletico had hoped to recoup some of the money via the Omorodion transfer (and Chelsea had been interested in him after Villa quoted a bit too much for Duran) since they were spending so much on Alvarez. Now you have Mendes offering Chelsea Felix in his stead to try to make up the money Atletico seem to be missing out on.

Maybe the Omorodion deal can be revived but Chelsea have too many players to be going for another AM/no.10 in Felix and he should not go somewhere that is such a mess and where he will have so much competition if he is to get his career back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I know FR's pictures are fake, but apparently he's in Madrid and already training with the Atleti squad, and numerous papers have described the move as "complete"

It's all done bar the official announcement, the deals are separate but Athleti need an outgoing sale to satisfy FFP I believe because of the cost of both Alvarez and Gallagher.

Chelsea look like they'll be rinsed for an extra 10 million euro for Felix now as well😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Gallagher is done… why the f would chelsea go for Felix? Why do they care if Alvarez deal from City could fall through? Surely it would be on At.Madrid and City to work something out rather than Chelsea to supply the funds for At.Madrid to buy from City.

Mendes can certainly have his dodgy moments and moves players to clubs that he is 'in with', even if it is not the best move for the player. All because he will net a hefty paycheck from it. But hey, the player gets their big move so it looks good and he can sell them that vision. It's very dangerous for young players especially.

Remember that Fabio Silva transfer to Wolves at 18 for €40m, and half a season at Porto? €10m of that went directly to Jorge Mendes, who had his hand in Wolves and Porto at the time too. Silva wasn't suited to the PL at all, and was then bounced around random clubs on loan and is up for sale now again.

The biggest transfer fee paid in the world this summer was for a Mendes client - Leny Yoro and once that deal was concluded there was strong links with another Mendes client moving to the same club. Time will tell if that move was the correct one for Yoro at such a young age.

Who called off the Samu transfer? Was it the player himself knowing that it is close to career suicide or was it Chelsea because Mendes told them they could have Felix instead? It stinks of the latter to me, because of the form he has with moving players for his own financial gain. Another Mendes client (Pedro Neto) was just moved to Chelsea this summer.

If Chelsea aren't dodgy as f…ha… and Villa do really want to take Felix on a permanent deal then they should move now as Atletico will no doubt accept less for him than they were quoting previously (though I think Villa probably wanted an initial loan before) as they need to satisfy their FFP needs while Chelsea buying him would be odd as he is a completely different player profile than Omorodion. 

• Advertisement

Who knows. Sure Chelsea's dealings the past few years are akin to letting an 11 year old play football manager😂

Zouma deal held up due to a pre existing knee injury.

That'll be the cat kicking then ..🤣

Seems that Athleti have prioritised signing Alvarez over Gallagher hence all the scrambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

i think its safe to say Samu called off the deal.

If Boehly was presented with a choice of Samu or Felix, I see no scenario where he doesn't say both of them.

I don’t understand why Chelsea or Félix (outside of London being a draw and he was there before) would make this move except out of obligation to Madrid but if it happens it would take away a lot of anxiety I think a lot of Villa fans have felt over that proposed deal. Where we might pivot to for our Diaby replacement I’m not sure though there have been a few links to a couple of young Turkish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Love you throwing Yoro in there like he wasn't one of the most sought after CBs in Europe. Surely Yoro going on a free to Real next summer would have been worth much much more to Mendes

Edited to add that Yoro isn't the biggest transfer in the world this summer. Solanke is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Felix is due to have his own Freakonomics chapter about how much money clubs are willing to spend on a player who looks good at football, rather than actually being good at football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Surprised Chelsea haven’t tried ship Lukaku out as part of that deal with Atleti.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

SSN reporting that Gallagher deal all agreed, but not signed/completed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lukaku's preference seems to be Italy. Linked with Napoli a lot - I'm surprised Chelsea didn't leverage that immediately and go for Osimhen. That's a player who would actually suit Chelsea, as opposed to these millions of number 10s and wingers. Osimhen in front of Nkunku, Palmer, and Neto would have big potential, if they could get them linking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All chelsea had to do was buy osimhen this summer, thats what they are missing.

Yep widely reported Lukaku wants Napoli and Napoli want him to replace Osimhen but for some reason they haven't been able to get a deal over the line. Talk now that Sterling will be the next to be booted out if they get Felix and rumours of Noni Madueke to Newcastle…it's like a merry go round!

Reports that the Saudis are offering Vinícius Jr €350m a year on a five year contact. That would be €1.75b tax free before he turns 30.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Zubimendi turns down Liverpool. Not a good look for the new and returning transfer committee.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The player told Hughes he would join and changed his mind a few days later. There's no fault here with the recruitment team at all.

Liverpool would hope TAA stays with the club so they can't be annoyed that another player wants to stay with his hometown club. They will be annoyed that he went back on his word though rather than just saying no straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

Who's the source that confirmed he gave Liverpool his word that he would join? I hadn't heard that. But I did see it mentioned in the Liverpool thread earlier today that apparently Liverpool had given Zubimendi until Wednesday to decide if he wanted to move.

Both Spanish media (Relevo) who were informed on that side, and Paul Joyce who is the most reliable Liverpool journo going.

The hometown boy had a change of heart and stayed with his hometown club. His loyalty has to be commended really. Liverpool will be expecting their hometown hero to commit his long term future to them this summer too.

He was loyal to his boyhood club. Can't argue with that. I'm not sure was he ever fully committed to a move tbh. He might even get a pay rise to stay if he negotiated well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

So, the first time we hear from this source that Zubimendi had given Liverpool his word is only after reports emerge that he’s rejected the club? I just did a quick search through that journalist’s tweets, and before tonight, the most recent one about the Zubimendi transfer a few days ago said that Hughes was working hard to convince him to join.

Honestly, this feels like a face-saving exercise by the club.

It was previously reported by Spanish media that he told Socidead he was leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair enough if it was only Joyce, as a bit of a Liverpool mouthpiece, but why would others be engaging in Liverpool face saving?

Don’t seem the most complicated situation to unpick going by the reporting throughout… player indicated he was up for move, club refused the move insisting player activate his personal buyout clause and force his way out. Either through not wanting to get into the significant complexities of that, or simply not wanting to be (or be seen as) disloyal to his boyhood hometown club, player changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Does it matter, face saving or not, they haven't got a solution to their gaping hole at 6. It's not as if anyone will care about them winning the face saving league next May. They should have just moved on and said nothing on the affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Maybe they should look at a few clients of Mendes, i believe you said he is great at getting his clients to move clubs.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have dealt with Mendes quite a bit (same as most top clubs because he has many of the top players). Nunez and Jota are two of his clients I think and I'm pretty sure Fabinho was as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Officer999

Wan-Bissaka to West Ham confirmed for £15 million.
    That’s an incredibly low fee for a 26 year proven PL defender

West Ham are going some great business this summer they could do really well under Lopetegui this season.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Into the last year of his contract and had apparently indicated he wasn't going to sign another. Fee sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

He's good at one on ones with strikers. Going forward he's next to useless so he won't be a big loss for United

• Advertisement

Cole Palmer signed a new contract at Chelsea on improved money till 2033.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You'd imagine he's getting a sizeable bump after his performances last year, he'd be stupid not to tbh.

Safety net of 9 years at 6 figures a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Less than £15m in reality as MU had to give him a payoff to accept lower wages at West Ham. But that was still better than losing him for nothing next year and he was, at best, mediocre at United. Plus his not very veiled statement shows United are well rid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Relegation battle incoming. We've been here before and I ain't getting my hopes up.

Chelsea have acted very smartly here getting it done before the start of the season. He only had 8 years remaining on the previous deal.....

Looks like the Gallagher deal is in serious jeopardy despite it being all but confirmed a couple days ago. He's back in London with the Chelsea squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wan Bissaka is a bang average defender. Nowhere near good enough for a top end club. Utd did well to get £15m for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The West Ham praise across the board all seems to do with quantity of signings rather than quality right?

Who is the guy among their signings that the teams in the top 8 would largely want to sign as a starter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement