Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Power back on in North east Galway. Was off since midnight.👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭glightning

Just catching up on the thread. Some brill pics from last night :-)

Well it seems the west has done very well storm wise over the past few years. They had a really good run of storms last year was it? Or maybe the one before?

Meanwhile, the east and Ulster seem to be well below the historical average. Here in Ulster for example, I've noted that most storms are to the west of Lough Neagh in recent years. And it feels long time since we've had a good batch of storms move south to north up the east side of Ireland.

I'm living in hope that with the zonal pattern we've been seeing for a while now that another similar opportunity might arise over the next few weeks. Or perhaps a short plume event in September. Wishful thinking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Poking the camera out the window during the heavy rain in the early hours of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

This part of Ulster did well. North west Donegal had a multi hour stationary thunderstorm back in May as well. Last summer probably had the most thunder I’ve experienced during a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful starry night

15⁰Meathh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That was probably me yeah. I seen a second drone capturing the summer festival fireworks but got a strike over Lambay with mine after recording them fireworks too then proceeded to Tower Bay to get a decent composition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Unfortunately had the DSLR pointing out the wrong window when this happened last night:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭pureza

The lightning bolt causing the damage usually isn't at the transformer itself

The lightning can hit a pole several km's away

The surge then travels along the line untill it hits a transformer or a fuse

The fuse tripping cuts the power immediately to everyone above it on the line but the surge could still be travelling to the next transformer and burn it out

The tripped fuse will stop the next bolt going any further and doing more damage

The ESB have done a brilliant job of putting them on,they look like long springs at the top of some poles and make a sound like a gunshot when they trip

Often during bad storms,power is pro actively cut by the ESB on lines or tripped at a sub stations untill a storm is over to prevent damage

This blacks out a wider area untill the storm passes and saves ESB crews a lot of repair work

That was very close - if not a direct hit. Within a few hundred feet at most. When I was in Florida in July we had close strikes, and even ones that were less than 1/4 mile away had a slight delay. Yours is almost instantaneous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

It lit up the sky much further away. I’m near Doolin. I could just see the reflection of the clouds though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Many years ago I worked in telephone exchange in Enniskillen, when a storm would happen we placed bets to see which location would be the first to trip a buzz bar in the exchange when a pole was struck great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Was sitting in the living room with the light off enjoying the flashes far away. Before that strike happened it got really, really dark outside, it looked like the led bulb in the room had a slight glow and honest to god I could feel a slight staticy feeling running through my legs, then that blast happened, was incredibly loud. Could have sworn I saw a line hit the transformer outside but doubt it was that close...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Could have been no more than one street away at most given the instant thunder

Pretty good lightshow in the distance in Bremen, Germany at the moment if you catch it quick :-

https://www.youtube.com/live/rlj8zl6dr48?si=FV-loXHYGolnM7sL

Germany does well when it comes to big summer storms. Benefits of continental climate.

Another better quality view here. Storm seems to be approaching the city as there was no lightning visible on this one 15 minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_n-YOrULDA

Denmark putting on a hell of a light show now too :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g-9Lb-tIrA

Groningen, NL in the middle of a light show :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQTQ-MnYQ08&list=PL6b88W2TR3Xq2gvxye7Y1UnNATXxKXRpx&index=8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record sferics detected by the LEELA Lightning Detector and Blitzortung for the 11-12Aug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Needmoretea

It looks like everyone but the south East and East got a real blast and loads of lightning! I was just wondering was it expected or predicted by met Éireann? I dont want to have a go at them and derail the thread, but was it a surprise? Going by the comments and pictures, it was insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Positive lightning strike out the back the other night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭typhoony

It was worth the wait but a quiet summer overall for convection and looks like the last for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭typhoony

Well looks like a failed prediction on my part as an active front is approaching the west this morning could well produce a few thunderstorms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I presume we’ll see a continuation of pattern we’ve had all summer today - heavy rain and some thunderstorms in western areas, the front will weaken and disintegrate as it approaches the Dublin area giving the usual mm or two there. I’d love to be wrong and get 25mm+ but unlikely, not seeing a pattern change yet.
    PS. the front seems to splitting in half already in the Clare area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at the current radar and a few of the forecast models, I can't foresee thunderstorms per se today. A few spots might experience some thundery rain....... The kind of weather where there's a spell of very heavy or torrential rain and a couple/not many lightning strikes and/or a few rumbles or cracks of thunder and then it's just plain rain again after a couple of minutes. That's textbook thundery rain to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME said last night heaviest of the rain would be in the South looking at the radar the worst seems to be in the North West at present, we had torrential rain in Galway for around half hour very dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just saw a flash of lighting on the outskirts of Ennis.

Or maybe I was imagining things

Parameters there for some activity later with some embedded storms along the cold front moving on to the Western coasts tonight and maybe a couple overnight crossing the Northern half of the country. Possibly isolated with a low chance but enough MUCAPE at a few hundred j/kg , upper shear, lower shear, decent lapse rates along the coasts, cold upper pool and upper trough all aiding instability. Heavy convective showers moving into the W, NW and some moving across the country some bit. W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

Does anyone believe there's any truth to this for the midlands tonight?

Advertisement