Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

The right hand turn from Burgh Quay to O'Connell Bridge will really need to be looked at carefully after implementation. Westmoreland St to OCS North is a pain as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Our signage system just feels completely inadequate here, I tend to think it should be instead indicating where cars can go, because that's much easier to figure out when you're driving along. And the signage should be much further in advance of the actual bus gate.

As-is I foresee a significant amount of people just ignoring these new bus gates most of the time, and being able to successfully claim ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The signage game isjust bonkers in Dublin. There's still poles on south William street that just say M50 and an arrow.

If you're relying on that to get to the m50 from SWS you're screwed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Just looking at the Burgh quay proposal, they're relying on a bit of road hatching to prevent motorists in the right turning lane not to travel straight. That is most certainly going to be abused! I think there are bollards proposed as part of the cycling scheme so these should be installed straight away to prevent that happening.

It's overly complex. So much effort just to keep car dominance. That right turn from Burgh Quay to ocs is currently abused by queue skippers who fly down the right turning lane and merge left mid junction, the right turn lane is hardly used at all by people actually turning right

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's going to be interesting alright. The fact that it's only from 7am to 7pm will lead to a bit of wriggle room too.

Fun times.

A car diversion onto jervis St 24hrs would be a far simpler set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It looks like there's bollards at the front of that hatching? If that is the case, I assume that outside the 7-7 hours, cars are expected to use the bus lane to ontinue straight into Aston Quay. Still wildly inadequate, mind you!

How long do people reckon it'll take for an upgrade to a proper solution? How long did college green take to go from a theoretical ban at peak hour to a theoretical ban 24hrs? Also there are other measures in the cc traffic plan.

Oh you're right. Hard to see with the resolution. I guess they'll just remove the boards when the cycle scheme gets up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw a few Guinness lorries in convoy yesterday going up Sheriff street from the docks, wonder if they're now going up the NCR and cutting back out at Ushers quay and up Christchurch into Thomas st.?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've also blue been able to find any information when I want to the website...!

Tbf, it is slightly annoying that it's labelled "2023" on the website. A rename to "Traffic Restrictions Aug 2024" on their front page would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's probably been a quicker route anyway for a good while now

Interesting that the programme for 2024 calls for a left turn ban from westland row to pearse St and a start on the gardiner St public realm scheme. There hasn't been much talk of them and we're coming to the end of Q3.

ThereThere's also supposed to be work on College Green plaza next year and for that to happen we'll need to reroute buses in advance of the busconnects rollout which has stalled this year.

I thought I read somewhere recently hat the Westland Row stuff was put back because it was more complicated apparently. I'll see if I can dig it out

I saw a Guinness lorry this morning at the Bachelors Walk bus gate stopped in the yellow box blocking buses from getting to the right lane to turn onto O'Connell Bridge. This is exactly the reason why this plan needs to be implemented.

Sounds like more fudge and half measures. Placating the motor lobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There's nothing worse than "complicated". 🤷

• Advertisement

Barcelona is building their high speed rail tunnel under the Sagrada Familia but in Dublin a left turn ban is 'complicated'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

sorry if discussed before but does this mean practically every bus time table that goes through the quays needs to be re-done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A proper solution? An integrated underground network is decades away.

In the meantime, I'd predict that the car restrictions on the quays will simply be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I would doubt that very much. The running time may have to tweaked, though. If that doesn't happen and buses make it to Bachelors Walk quicker than normal, they will still be made to sit at the stop until their scheduled departure time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I noticed recently a change in the traffic lights for eastbound buses along the North Quays at Capel Street Bridge. There is now a bus lane filter light, which gives traffic in that lane several seconds of a jump ahead of general traffic.

It may not amount to much initially, but it's something.

I meant a proper solution to restricting cars, not a metro

We have solutions to restricting cars, there's no will power in Dublin City Council to implement these more fully. Hence even this watered down approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Running times, i.e. the stop-by-stop timetables for each departure on routes across the network are reviewed and adjusted every so often as a matter of course (particularly when schools are on summer holidays), but Dublin Bus doesn't officially tell passengers (unlike GoAhead).

Looking at a sample of routes on BusTimes ( https://bustimes.org/operators/dublin-bus ) and comparing the timetables for Monday 19th August and Monday 26th August, I can see that revised timetables with longer running times are being implemented across the Dublin Bus network with effect from Monday 26th August, which recognise the increased traffic levels that occur across the city with the return of schools. They would have been reduced back in June across all routes. Morning peak journeys in particular get the brunt of it.

To be fair, a change in running times is actually a timetable change, as it changes the intermediate stop times along a route and should be considered as such. It can have an impact on people on lower frequency routes, and they ought to be announcing it more clearly, something like this:

"With effect from Monday August 26th, with the return of schools, revised timetables will be implemented across all routes. These changes will not affect departure times from termini, but will see times change at most intermediate stops along each route in order to maintain the punctuality and reliability of services."

Specifically on the infrastructure change on the Quays, I'd expect a change of running times for routes operating east/west along the Quays will happen at some point later in the Autumn that reflects the improved traffic flow through the area, but you'd have to wait four to six weeks, or indeed longer until after the return of the colleges to get a proper assessment of what the impact of the changes are.

As Streetlight says, in the meantime buses will probably be waiting their time either side of O'Connell Bridge until their scheduled times from the stops there.

I wouldn't be expecting to see completely new timetables with revised departure times anytime soon, as we just won't know what the impact of the changes will be for some months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Is introducing these restrictions on the week the schools return not going to give the usual suspects additional ammunition?

Traffic is noticeably worse on that week anyway. This'll now be blamed on the restrictions. Seems like an avoidable mistake.

They'll complain about traffic either way. The first few days of the Capel St change got a load of ridiculous coverage about gridlocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Would have made a lot more sense to start the quay changes this week alright, so they can be bedded in before next week when little Sorcha and Oisin absolutely must be dropped directly at the schoolgates in the Qashqai!

I'm just back from a work trip to Copenhagen and it was truly depressing going from the well-designed, implemented, and connected public transport there to the absolute mess that is Dublin. I could get from CPH airport to Copenhagen city centre in 20 mins via the driverless, 24/7 metro there. It took me over an hour in a taxi and 40+ odd quid for the same journey in Dublin. Rounded off by the driver getting in a huff when I went to pay by card!

I see they've done some new line markings on Bachelors Walk and the south of O'Connell Bridge already.

Forgot this is actually happening on the Sunday not Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thomas St? Guinness trucks would be heading for Victoria Quay surely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We get a real look into the future this weekend with College Green closed off.

Buses on circuitous diversions this evening differnt to the guide on the app, people waiting at stops that won't be served, asking others if they know anything or have the app, tourists trying to stop southbound buses on Westmoreland St trying to go north.

Post edited by dfx- on

But When it's permanent there'll be proper stops and no confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I'm probably missing something obvious (I'm not a regular city center driver) but I cannot figure out how a private car can get from the port / IFSC to Heuston if it cannot proceed straight on O'Connell Bridge and cannot make a left turn from Westmoreland St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

IFSC, head for Sherriff Street, left into Portland Row onto the NCR. Only thing is that route will be used by a lot more people.

And the hope would be people would decide getting the Luas or public transport would be better for that route.

• Advertisement

Obviously very early days and lots of bedding in to do, but so far a good few private cars are just crossing the bridges.

Did see one driver in the left hand lane on Bachelor's Walk continue on and then turned right onto O'Connell Bridge crossing two lanes. But maybe in that case there's more going on with that driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Nice balanced piece here from the Irish Times. Better than that, actually it's quite positive about the changes and supportive of the reasons behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I heard on the radio they said loading bays wouldn't be affected, does that mean I can still drive onto burgh key to use the loading bays along it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not overly up to date with the changes but allowing left turn onto O'Connell Street?

That can already be very congested with bus traffic and any disruption to Luas services by something blocking a yellow box and casuing a tram to miss a sequence.

How is this expected to cope with car traffic or is the hope there will be minimal car traffic?

The only reason that left turn is still there for private traffic is because of Arnotts Car Park. It's very irritating.

And yes, I suspect O'Connell St North is going to suffer a bit. Cars from both sides of the quays can access it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was aware of the car park left turn but does the current changes allow any car's turn left now or just those parking?

Oh it allows all cars to turn left. So you now have cars allowed onto O'Connell St North from Bachelors Quay, Burgh Quay and Westmoreland St.

It's already busy enough with the cycle lane and Luas, so going to be interesting enough once these changes bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

From what I can see, North King St and Queen St near Smithfield is going to get a lot busier with people leaving the N1 to cross Mellow St bridge to get to the quays and continue west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I foresee bedlam at the top of O’Connell Street turning left onto Parnell St. with the Luas that’s heading for Broombridge as the yellow. Ices May be filled with irritated drivers. It’s already chockablock at times, but now?

Parnell st is a nightmare. Only solution is a car ban from Princes St northwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement