Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Tippman24

I have to disagree to some extent about the comments made about the GAA being a problem for athletics. New Zealand won atotal of 20 medals and is a superpower of Rugby Union and also is competirive in Cricket. The population is less than Ireland so the GAA argument needs to be re-visited. I think it is more a case that people may find many of the sports as non-interesting. I will usually watch the European and World athletics championships and the stadiums only srem.to be half full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭amacca

At the time there was doubt about what happened...but I have read a number of articles saying it was offered...one in relation to the US team possibly taking a dim view of it if China came top in the medals table...this was on Saturday at some stage...I assumed they were accurate

Tbh though I could have jumped the gun...its not always easy to sort the speculative clickbait from the trustworthy these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness to hurling it produced one hell of an advert for the sport during the all ireland final this year....it was an excellent game/spectacle...

A lot more than stick fighting...and very skillful...

And that's from someone who couldn't give much of a shite about GAA most of the time ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RTE? I also watched it on RTE, heard the commentators saying that, and went "WTF are they talking about?". There was nothing on screen to suggest that, they apparently decided that was the case based off their interpretation of body language. McEwen has explicitly said it was Kerr who asked first: https://archive.is/gYw4Z:

"He said it first, and I agreed to it,” McEwen said

"“At the end of the day, he wanted to jumpoff,” McEwen said

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,818 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How many sports does the local rugby or soccer pitch cater for ?

I love this auld shte that it's everyone pulling together harmoniously except for the GAA.

Imagine a world without GAA

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Tippman24

In the immediate aftermath of the Atlanta Olympics, the UK Government were not too happy about the fact that the Country had one Gold Medal to show for its efforts. Their National Lottery was intoduced to increase funding for Olympic Sports. However for the 2000 Olympics, the main consideration was to increase the medal count.Cycliing and Rowing wwre the 2 sports targeted for medals. I temember in the cycling the UK cyclist lapped the german cyclist in the individual pursuit. I believe it was the first it ever happened in.a cycling final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's no point complaining about GAA anyway as it's going to be around forever and is actually brilliant for Ireland, particular rural areas where there's literally nothing else.

The key is to expose kids to as many sports as possible and see what they enjoy and are talented in. GAA doesn't impede that. Loads of people in Kerry play multiple sports and that's possibly the most GAA obsessed county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The GAA hoovers up most of the sport playing youth in this country at the critical age. I have nothing against GAA they are fantastic sports to watch and play but they are hardly original or unique just a variation of other field sports. They should be made to pay their own way more and open up their facilities and share with other sports. The problem is GAA are too precious about their own sports..the priority should be getting young people playing as many sports as possible. Hurling in the olympics would be fun though we'd get the gold medal each time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you've been following the thread you have seen me say many times that I don't watch RTE unless there's an Irish person in a competition that's not covered elsewhere.

It was either BBC or Eurosport that I was watching, not sure which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

In the uk I’d guess that per capita there is an equal portion of the population playing their top three traditional sports (ie sawker, rugger and that ‘bat and ball’ game) as there is here in Ireland with our top 4 ( ie gaa, sawker rugby) and it doesn’t seem to have impacted their Olympic performances over the last number of years…with out looking at the stats I think since Sydney 2000 they have been increasing their medal count no end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭jackboy

It also has to be asked why do we want extra olympic medals and why should we spend more money to get them? If we won twice as many Olympic medals why would that be so great and would the public really care.

If it's for the health of the population then sharing the extra money between all.sports organisation's would have the same impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Field east

amongst many other reasons why we should support potentially elite athletes,- the ‘feel good factor ‘ when they do well on a international scale metalling at the Olympics creates the ‘ holy grail’ Crazyfor THOUSANTS of youngsters to aim towards. There was a seven year old at the airport at the Team Ireland welcoming party interviewed . She came to see the women’s relay team as she thought they were great , that she can also run

Fast and hope to be as good as them some day or words to that effect.

DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?

No. In reality the Olympians inspire a tiny number of children compared to the likes of the GAA, soccer and rugby. It's once in 4 years wheres the GAA and other team sports are ialways on so it would be better to pump extra funding into that if the aim is to 'inspire'.

Why are you not calling on all the rugby and soccer clubs to open up their facilities ?

I don't remember seeing anyone playing other sports in my local rugby club and I wouldn't call athletics, rowing or hockey very inclusionary round my way either. With the exception of rugby in Limerick all the other sports seem happy enough in their little upper middle class bubbles and are certainly not about "getting as many young people to play sport"

I think people want greater investment in sports in general. GAA and Rugby are already very well run so it's more about the other sports like soccer and all the Olympic sports.

This has enormous benefits for society.

The great thing about Olympic medals is that it inspires millions of people to take up sport or even just continue playing sport or to train harder, this in turn will bring more Olympic medals, so it's a virtuous cycle.

I can guarantee numbers in boxing gyms and athletics clubs will increase this year as a result of these Olympics.

So it's about building on the success.

I don't think we're in a terrible place now so we don't need to start from scratch.

I think most towns in Ireland have boxing, athletics, swim clubs etc..So although there's huge room for improvement, we still have something to build on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Plus, we have the money to do it and to invest. The economy is booming and we are not in recession. If ever there was a time to try and massively improve the profile and practice of sport across the country, now would be the time to do it. It's a good sign that all of the political parties seem to recognise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

Nah. It's nonsense the amount of vitriol and jealousy thrown at the GAA. Most of it has no basis in reality or is based on a reality from over 50 years ago.

Anyone think we don't have bigger athletics participation because the GAA won't turn itself into a charity building facilities for other sports is just wrong.

6 clubs in my general area. 2 rugby, 3 soccer and 1 GAA. If it's all so harmonious outside the GAA why am I not seeing athletics in Thomond. Why are Balla spending loads of government money on new exclusive facilities when they could share with Moyross, Thomond, Shannon or Caherdavin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Will be interesting to read commentary on the UK's efforts this time and maybe there is something to learn for us in terms of sustaining support. They seem to have hit a wall in gold and overall achievement.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can point to why this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

I don’t think it’s jealousy at all. The GAA have always been incredibly insular and I think most rational people recognise that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nobody is asking GAA to turn itself into a charity. But the GAA is very happy to take government funding for those facilities, that should come with strings attached about access to those facilities for other sports.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think people started copying their methods in high performance and marginal gains etc..

When I was growing up the community games athletics competitions always took place at the local GAA grounds. Not sure if that still happens. GAA club also does loads of 5k runs for fundraising. Loads of non gaa people enjoy those.

Exactly what I said. Attitudes from the 1960's

Most GAA people are in some way multi sports fans the same as every other sports fan in Ireland.

It just requires spending the money well.

Having realistic targets in participation but also in producing elite athletes.

One thing is I'd fund the LOI academies.

Also increase and improve PE in schools.

The number one metric should be participation, but not just kids but all ages. I bet there's loads of adults out there inspired by the Olympics to get back into sport.

The key to producing elite athletes is casting as wide a net as possible and having kids try as many sports as possible. Then when they're older filter them into high performance and elite coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,491 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is the Gaelic Athletic Association and it really makes sense to include them and their vast infrastructure in any forward planning. Would there really be much opposition, I wouldn't imagine so.

So why is government money for soccer or rugby not being asked to come with strings. Why do we not have athletics courses and hockey pitches in the middle of all the greyhound stadiums ?

There is a great team up in Limerick with Greenmount cyclo-cross and the horse racing stadium. That should be forced on every horse racing stadium in Ireland I suppose.

Every sport is happy to take government money for facilities and every sport does exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And it is totally inefficient. Of course every sport is happy to do that, they shouldn't be allowed. This is not about GAA v soccer and rugby.

I'm asking you if that's the wisest use of the government funding, if the aim is to increase sports participation?

Not everybody is into GAA, some prefer other ball sports, some prefer individual events.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Serious cold turkey here in the house yesterday….

Went downstairs after work, we had dinner and sat on the couch afterwards, turned on the TV, and after a quick scan around the channels, turned it back off….

Thats the beauty of the Olympics… it doesn't matter what the sport is, it's all compelling viewing…

and it's also sad too that it'll probably be at least 12 years before we have another Olympics in our region/time zone again….. yeah we'll still see some live events from LA & Brisbane, but the vast majority of everything else will be happening at stupid O'Clock, and RTÉ can't be relied on to provide a comprehensive highlights package…

Even the little TV in my office has probably done more work this summer between the Euro's and Olympics than in the previous 6-7 years or so it's been on the wall!!

Anyway….

what day is it even…….

• Advertisement

I have no problem with the idea that government funding should be for community facilities only.

I have a problem with the GAA being constantly singled out as supposedly being the only sport taking government money for single sport use.

Advertisement