Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I find this only to be the case with the online player from a browser, I have found their apps to be generally all right, but I have stop watching RTÉ in general so it hard to know as I am not a regular user. And for this I would definitely award him a pay rise!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I watch all my TV now via my fire stick because my TV is not capable of picking up RTE the "normal" way. The RTE app refused to install on the firestick. There is very little on RTE at the best of times to attract me. Prime time and the 6pm news generally. During the summer months it is a desolate place. Kin was popular outside of Ireland so I was able to download it(my preferred way to watch things). I will try the app on my Fire tablet, if it works, I will screen mirror it to my TV, but it'd be easier if I could just use the app on the TV itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭flyer_query

RTE / TG4 whinge / value for money post.

RTE have a really expensive broadcasting box at croke park all set up to broadcast the pundits and imo it works very well as we can all see from Sunday Game coverage. I am sure they pay a huge amount of money for this box each year and spent a huge amount designing and kitting it out (location of desk, editing room etc).

Watching the ladies finals last week I couldn't help but notice that its its left hand (TG4) was broadcasting from a different part of the stadium and it turns out that they erected a very large temporary podium at the corner of the Hogan and the Hill, its feckin massive and looks like you could host 100 people on it. Must have cost tens of thousands between hire, health and safety even insurance etc and it doesn't look like a straightforward erection due to its size, angle and being raised and all for two days of match coverage.

Here is the best picture I could get, from what I saw and looking at pictures of that end of the ground this is definitely a temporary structure and not part of the fixed building that is located at the edge of Hill 16.

A few logical questions:

1.Why didn't they use RTE's box, a specially designed box to host TV pundits, even if they paid them rent for it as they are both state broadcasters

- Devils advocate could say maybe Croke Park would object then surely all TG4 would have to do is raise raise a little noise and Croke Park would roll over as it wouldn't be a good look to force two state broadcasters to each piss money away seeing as how much money GAA are getting both direct from tax payer and funneled through TG4 and RTE.

2. Why did they not use another broadcasters box (GAA Go have a box beside RTE).

3. Why did they not just rent a normal corporate box (cork park hold back lots of boxes), stick a table and some lighting in it, nobody would have noticed.

4. Who signed off on what is clearly a massive waste of public money.

5. What was the value proposition of this stupid decision. It didnt enhance viewers enjoyment, it didnt advance ladies football.

6. Why are TG4 management not tightening their belts or at the very least at least try to show some prudence even if just for show.

TG4 gets a lot of credit and seems to have avoided the bad press but stuff like this (pure waste) makes me wonder what skeletons concerning wasted spend is simmering away under the surface at TG4.

TG4 commission their coverage, it is produced by Nemeton an independent producer. Cost would be built into the commission that was awarded to them.

Not that this is an excuse. You are right TG4 do have a few questions to answer, there was a time when TG4 was punching above its weight, now I think it just wants more money to spend on the same kind of programming.

As for TG4 talking to RTÉ and visaversa, it seems to me that they don't.

RTÉ decision to blank RTÉ NEWS broadcasts in NI to me is an example of this. I think a decision in RTÉ was made to blank the coverage, rather then talking to BBC, Discovery and the IOC about the coverage. In the end RTÉ found out that none of their partners had any issue in terms of cost etc etc.

______

Yesterday

@flyer_query

Why are TG4 management not tightening their belts or at the very least at least try to show some prudence even if just for show.

To me this relates to RTÉ also.

no effort by either to pull back on cost but at the same time do some cost neutral changes that the audience would see and appreciate. e.g. just a simple change to the News channels on screen graphics, were the picture would take up the whole screen, logo and time in the top left hand corner, 1 ticker along the bottom of the screen, instead of a gaudy design.

Though such a simple change would cost RTÉ a fortune to implement for some bizarre reason.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just watching rte news, and the anchor handed over to a sports reporter based in Paris....who then started to ask another reporter, in another part of Paris, about the boxing tonight.

Sure why send 1 when 2 can get the trip of a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Tow

They have John Creedon out there playing records. He could just as easily be back in Ireland.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

No real problem with them being there, especially when in previous years RTÉ were sending friends, family and clients to such games. People often talk about the good coverage that RTÉ do, I'd say it could be massively better if RTÉ hadn't being giving people not in the sports department holidays.

Leave John out of this :) but if all he is doing is playing records it seems a bit strange, does he interview any of the athletes?

______

Yesterday

I also like John and thought the purpose was to have people in for interviews, but there were non in the parts I heard.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I dont imagine anything has changed and in fact half of Montrose is over in Paris. Some Business Affairs people who might get some French adverts out of it, a few correspondants, plus sound engineers, and producers, and Vinnie's wife speaks french so she is along in case translation is needed(Despite most Parisians speaking English).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭Allinall

when in previous years RTÉ were sending friends, family and clients to such games.

Do you honestly think anything has changed? If, and its a big if, anyone calls them on it, there will be an excuse stating the tickets were booked before Tubridy-gate and that the RTE of the present day is much more frugal than RTE of days gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Non, they are what the French call les incompetents.

______

Yesterday

So government argument on "Why should I bother paying the TV license when the government will do it for me"

Sure, the €160 a year then that we will have to make up for is still coming from their taxes – so that’s the reason why. I’ve always been struck by this debate here, the idea that if the Exchequer steps in to provide the additional funding, where does that money come from? It comes from the taxpayer, it comes from the taxes that we collect

Lets put it this way, I won't pay the TV licence because I don't think RTÉ are capable at their job. They have 10 people in executive roles who are on over 250k, above the pay of the cabinet. We get to vote the cabinet out if we don't think they are doing a good job, meanwhile we have to pay to get rid of the top people at RTÉ because they didn't do a good job.

Johnny Tax payer saves time by not having to pay the TV licence a method of payment slowly being remove by the government.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/donohoe-confident-tv-licence-compliance-will-improve-1659331.html

I’m confident that as we continue to restore trust in RTÉ – which I’m confident will happen – and as we allocate more funding to An Post to deal with compliance and collection of the television licence, that it will not only recover to where it was in the past, but it will go to a higher level.

Why was the trust lost? And your a fool if you think you can get they 15% who don't normally pay to pay.

______

Yesterday

One would assume they have a record of the people who used to pay it, so why aren't those people getting that Declaration document they used to send out? If they can't track down the people they have a record of, how do they expect to track down and force people like my self who were not registered?

They want to get the peoples trust back? Well sending 138 euros worth of Macroons to advertisers is not a good start. Why is John Creedon in Paris(Though he is one of the better presenters, so I don't mind him so much), Des Cahill makes "some" sense, but who else from RTE is over there? I am sure Des Cahill could do just as good a job from Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭csirl

+1 on too many RTE people in Paris.

Bare in mind that when Eurosport cover live cycling incl. Tour de France, one of their commentators - Robbie McEwan - commentates from his home in Australia! And Sean Kelly from wherever he now lives! Modern technology doesnt require them to be even at the event.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember when McGregor was fighting someone in Las Vegas (think it was Mayweather) RTE had someone outside the building the fight was on doing a short 2 minute segment on it. That was it. All that expense for a 2 minute segment. They could have had them in Dublin and put a picture of it on a green screen behind them. No need to send someone over for it.

George Lee is on circa €180k, for what?

While other correspondents aren't on as much money, you have to question what they do on a day to day basis.

I understand that a news report can take time to gather, and most likely they are on their own for most of that "research gathering" but some of them are only just filing reports.

If there are so few reports why so many correspondents?

perhaps I am not looking at this correctly, but if anyone wants to make even a wild guess.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I't worth noting the Missing in Action George Lee, is so important to RTE, that when he had his midlife crisis and failed at been a politician, RTE indulged him.

If George was working elsewhere he would not have been allowed scurry back with his tail between his knees.

• Advertisement

A Year of "Special Events"

When Noel Curran was DG RTÉ began coining the phrase "Special Events". Since 2016 (The year of his departure and the arrival of Dee Forbes) RTÉ has listed the cost of such special events. It's interesting that according to them there were none in 2017 (which would be largely unusual in any one year). They also coined the financial phrase EBITDA** (before Special Events) in their annual report, I'd wonder why EBITDA is even listed in a public bodies annual reports, this surely is just window dressing for investors of a private business (perhaps accountants out there would explain its requirement in an RTÉ annual report), and if it were a private business how having "EBITDABSE" might be a thing!

Now Those are the things listed as special event, "including", there are more event in each year. For example I assume in 2016 would have also included the brexit ref but then the 2017 UK general election is not included ! Anyone know what RTÉ coverage of the 2017 UK GE was like?

Also I don't see how World Cup Qualifiers could be listed as a special event.

These are waffle figures. With the exception of 2021 when their was an exception to the 4 year return of the Olympics and world cup. These are technically special events but RTÉ know well in advance that they are coming and that they will be covering them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

RTE's olympic coverage has been atrocious.

Bad commentators, constant ad breaks, woeful coverage at diamond park during the Harrington fight .

Whst actually are we paying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭political analyst

Although the reporting of sporting events as main stories on news bulletins is not confined to Ireland, RTÉ has, unlike the BBC, ITV and Sky News, an overlap between ordinary news and sports news because only RTÉ has sports coverage presenters on news bulletins as sportscasters and signing off with reference to the news division of the broadcaster in question, e.g. "Jacqui Hurley, RTÉ News". I think it raises the issue of - and this is strictly hypothetical - what would happen if, for example, Jacqui Hurley went into politics, got elected and then, like George Lee, quit politics and returned to broadcast journalism. Obviously, she wouldn't have to wait 6 months before going back to presenting sports programmes - but would the 6-month rule still apply to being on news bulletins as a sportscaster or as a reporter signing off with reference to RTÉ News?

This is how it should work, if you have decided to run for politics you can take a career break in the run up to the election so to avoid any perceived political interference by RTÉ, once you are elected you resign from your position at RTÉ, if you are unsuccessful you can return after six month. You resign from your position at RTÉ, you are taking up a new job.

You can return to RTÉ on completion of the dail term, not, NOT, when you decide you have decide to return. If any job comes up at RTÉ you may apply for it like everyone else.

I wish anyone in RTÉ good luck in their political careers and please close the door on your way out.

Politics should not give you a career break, its not a career break, its a new job.

______

Yesterday

You'd think otherwise from the RTÉ-twitteraity.

______

Yesterday

That is not how it works in RTE. It is the same as any other public sector Job, the old post has to be left open for their return.

Ruth Buchanan took them to court over this, long before George Lee went to get is free parking for life in the city centre.

Well then Dear George you can get paid a public service wage. Close the door on your way out.

______

Yesterday

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio/2024/08/11/sales-of-tv-licences-in-2024-over-10m-down-on-figure-for-previous-year/

449,456 - Jan to July 2024

499,186  - Jan to July 2023

552,198 - Jan to July 2022

Responding to a query from The Irish Times, a spokesman for the department said: that direct TV licence sales by An Post have been on a downward trajectory for a number of years due in part to changing viewing habits.

I would love to know who the spokesperson is from the department a government spin doctor or the civil servant. Let me put it this way viewing habits haven't change people just don't watch RTÉ as much as you might think :)

But back to the sales of licences.

drop of 53,012 in 2023

drop of 49,730 in 2024

a total drop off of 102,742, that's is 20% of those that paid in 2022.

Yeah they all changed their viewing habits that much in the last 2 years, all the oirechtas TV they've watched on line :)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭political analyst

That's not what my point was about. I was raising a regulatory issue by mentioning the scenario in my post. Read it carefully.

• Advertisement

I did and the strike though is my initial attempt to answer and then I realised that Mr. Lee should not have returned to RTÉ.

RTÉ possible don't have a policy and CnaM/BAI probably don't have a code of practice for such cases. IMO if regardless of who you work for there should be a clear process.

1. It will depend on the election type
    2. Broadcaster must give 6 months notice for Local and Euro elections, with 3 months off air prior to the election
    3. Broadcaster may not run for a political party in the local elections and may only be a independent community candidate and may not support a coalition in the council. If they make any bias political remarks either to the left or the right during this time they must step down. They may not report on any news or sport in that area. (This is more difficult but unlikely that any of the media would ever go into local politics).
    4. By-elections / General Elections, 6 months before the require date e.g. The broadcaster must make their decision before Sept 30 this year for the next general election, and for the number of upcoming by elections following the Euros, they would have had to have notified the broadcaster on the day the MEP was declare elected.
    5. 3 months before the election they must be removed from broadcast, and will be on leave during the month of the election campaign.
    6. If they are not elected they may return to work, but will not return to broadcast for another 3 months
    7. If they are elected they have now resigned from their position at the broadcaster, they do not return unless they apply for a new position. (See 3 for local Councillors)

But I doubt you will find any kind of guidance from any broadcaster on this.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement