Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Willow cuttings

• 13-08-2024 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi

What's the best method / time for planting willow cuttings? I'm looking into creating a small willow tunnel for the kids

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Anytime, but late November is normally good. If the area is exposed (wind) then early spring can be a better time. Where are you I'm nr Dungarvan? I grow about 30 different willows if you want some cuttings.

Normally you'd cut this years hardened wood into 30cm long lengths and just push them about 10cm into the ground. If you have enough material then you can use meter long lengths. That said almost any willow cutting will root even inch thick branches.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭jackboy

Does that work for all willow types (including all the wild native ones)?

All willows and most poplars. I've a couple of willows I liked I just started after spotting them growing wild.

The only problem with unpruned wild willows is that you might have more difficulty getting ideal cutting material but even less than ideal bits will still root.

Pre Brexit I got a load from waterwillows.com

Their planting instructions

https://waterwillows.com/planting/willow-planting-instructions/

Also from their site what the OP is aiming for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm based in Mayo so probably too far but thanks for the offer 👍

This is the type of willow growing wild that I'm planning to use

Yeah, ideally it would look something like that

• Advertisement

Those bits in the second picture would be ideal when they harden up a bit in November. You could take them now and root them in pots or even water. The problem then is you have to dig holes to plant them, with cutting its so easy to push them into the ground.

Sound, I'll put a reminder for November, stick them in the ground then and see how they get on. Thanks for your help, much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,830 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You do need a level of damp in the soil. A number of willows had been planted in this garden before I moved here and they are pretty much all gone, went rotten at the roots and base of (fairly large) trunk. Some just fell over, some were pushed over, literally I just leaned on them and they were gone with a small stump of poor roots, and some just died in mid leaf. The garden is very free draining, basically shale with a few inches of good soil. I did try to grow one of those willow structures but the cuttings and rooted trees that I bought just sat there and looked pathetic.

Those bits in the picture if you can get enough of them don't even cut them back just put as long a length as you can cut in the ground. You may find the top part dries up and dies off over winter in which case just cut it off.

Advertisement