Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is completely untrue and total misrepresentation.

ORCs is used a term of abuse for the Russian officials, military and mercenary scum conducting illegal war on Ukraine, inflicting warcrimes and atrocities including looting, execution of civilians, rape and the kidnapping of children.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Usually the existing mods will ask for more help. They'll give admin a list of potential candidates, we'll approve or deny each of them and they'll then decide who to approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

To be fair I think the original suggestion suggested that current affairs/politics would be excluded. It was to highlight fun threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't agree with personal abuse.

I've already explained why I don't think it's feasible to monitor thanks.

I have explained.

You haven't explained anything. You weren't asked about its feasibility.

"You don't agree with personal abuse" is a lot way off agreeing that it should be sanctioned by mods.

I think it is obvious now that multiple times you've dodged a straightforward question:

So is thanking such a plainly abusive post being a dick or not? Yes or no?

Your lack of answer speaks for itself and proves that such conduct is being a dick.

• Advertisement

Example 1 - A poster might discuss immigration accommodation, or lack thereof, without being racist

Example 2 - A poster might discuss concerns about puberty blockers without being transphobic

Not everything is black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

For arguments sake,someone could say "the long term effects of puberty blockers aren't properly understood yet because it's a new treatment" and a standard enough reply to that from some would be "transphobic dog whistle".

That type of thing isn't worth allowing in a reasoned debate.

In the soccer forum you can't use phrases like WUM (Wind up merchant) or use snarky nicknames for players or pundits (calling Graeme Souness, Graeme SOURness for example) and warnings are handed out accordingly.

A set of forbidden phrases that do nothing to enrich discussion could be set for CA as well.

Glazers Out!

I said I wasn't engaging with you. That posts was a reply to another user and gave an example of how "offensive" is in the eye of the beholder.

I asked both you and Suvigirl a question - a question on a discussion forum. I didn't use the term pile on and have made it clear I hate it, I don't think several people responding to, or disagreeing with, one poster is a pile up.

I acknowledged I might be wrong when I asked, it turns out I was wrong.

Report my posts or PM a mod if you think I set out to offend or insult you.

You have complained about others piling up on you and of posters being run off threads. Yet you outright dismiss others who feel the same.

That's what my point is - is it one rule for you and another for those who disagree with you. From this thread alone:

And here you mention cliques, but take issue with someone else mentioning a cabal.

Are you right when you see these things but others are wrong when they do? I'm genuinely curious here because you don't seem to see the disconnect here.

I have reported several posts for personal abuse.

I have reported two threads that were started to mock posters, and PMed mods and admins to alert them too. They were 2 posters I regularly disagree with, so I don't only have an issue with personal abuse of posters I agree with (just in case that's suggested). One of those threads referred to a poster as "handicapped".

I have reported a doxxing thread, and PMed mods and admins to alert them.

I have reported a post that made a sexual comment about a young murder victim.

I do not condone personal abuse. I still do not think you can sanction thanks when only 10 will show and it would be a complete time sink.

I'm happy for a mod, cmod or admin to confirm the above if you would like proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Well perhaps the users of the term are using a term they don’t understand.
    It’s surprising to see defenders of clearly hateful dehumanising language.

Post edited by SafeSurfer on

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How about a clearly defined (and adhered to) Dispute Resolution Process developed in parallel with any charter edits.

I think the process from a post being flagged all the way to a person being site banned (and everything in between) could be visually displayed in a single flow chart with the various steps/options involved that lead to action being taken.

This may allow quicker interpretation of the process and an understanding that mod actions are reviewed as part of the escalation process. This can be accompanied in the background with specific instruction for new (and old mods) as to their duties at each level at which they may be involved.

If this was done right it could help with Communication of the process to site users, Consistency among Mod/Admin personnel, Training for New Mods, and hopefully acceptance of end results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is gas. So you consider that posters who 1) ask intelligent questions relating to a thread and 2) take the time to phrase them correctly, are 'soapboxing'!!! Have you got something against the careful & appropriate use of language?

Maybe if it was written as "you ignored the question.. this ref is pure scutter and only the likes of yous will benefit. The fine gaelers are sh*tting their pants now as they don't want to lose another" then that would be acceptable??

And of course, I was quite correct in my analysis, was I not?? Dropped like a hot spud :)

That's a great idea but not how it works in practice?? Look at any thread with a long list of banned posters, I instanced one yesterday with c80 and only a tiny handful will have been lifted.

As an experiment recently, I tried this advice of yours re having a ban lifted. Assuming it was a mistake or over reaction, I politely requested that it be reversed. The response from the moderator involved (after several days) - this was 'taking the piss'!!

If that was someone representing me (either in a paid or voluntary capacity) and they insulted customers like this - I'd either fire or demote them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The DR forum used to have a flowchart detailing how the process worked but that's one small thing lost in the transition to Vanilla.

There isn't really a rigid process. If people keep accruing cards, they get bans which tend to increase in size as they accumulate, culminating in a permanent site ban. I'm not sure what more needs to be added or elucidated there. For all of the problems ailing this place, more legalism isn't a solution.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No I don't accept. You continue the commenting about us , you can continue to engage . I don't want to continue this here , but if you keep bringing it up I will continue to be obliged to defend myself .

You did say you were wrong . Well then don't use me or the other poster to illustrate your points . It wasn't your finest hour , Leg End Reject .

And where does the poster call for the annihilation of all russian citizens?
    That's an idiosyncratic definition of the phrase by one poster, it does not tally with Wikipedia's description of it or its common usage on boards or twitter.
    So you can find posters calling for the annihilation of the invading Russian forces, and those involved with the prosecution of the war… so that they cannot inflict more damage and war crimes on Ukraine.
    And you can find posters using the term ORCs, in the main referring to those same Russian forces… sometimes with a wider meaning, of Russians engaged in heinous, brutish nationalistic \ pro Putin \ anti Ukraine conduct.
    But that's a million miles away from your original claim.

So where are these "hundreds if not thousands" of posts?

They don't exist.

It's surprising to see posters more concerned about the language used describing them, than the actual vile acts Russian forces are engaged in isn't it?

This is the actual act they are referring to:

Russia: 87-year old survivor of Stalin and World War 2 was assaulted by 'ordinary Russians' in downtown Moscow because he said Wagnerites are murderers.

Calling the people who did this ORCs is what bothers you?

Can people not be wrong in an assumption or ask a question on a forum now?

I've explained why I mentioned it again , just report my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm not getting into a back and forth with you.

I have already explained what I believe will help boards.ie continue.

I have seen posters being run off threads by groups/ cliques and new people getting short shrift and not coming back. That is my opinion on a feedback thread.

One person who accused people of pile on here because 4 people responded to them then decided to put what came up on screen as a billboard size poster of a Mod's comments from another thread here with the words……I dont want to get the boot in, but…and immediately proceeds to get the boot in.

I also think you should re-read some of your own comments on this thread.

• Administrators Posts: 14,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Goldengirl and @Leg End Reject that's enough. This thread is not the place to argue your points with each other.

Move on now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Reminder to all...

Feedback!

I don't want a back and forth either, just an answer to explain how you differentiate between what you feel is a pile on and a clique, and what others see as a pile on and cabal.

I've been asked to clarify many times in this thread so no double standard is in play.

Being vehemently against hate speech against those you like but being in favour of hate speech against those you hate shows how much you miss the point of having a policy of not tolerating any hate speech or dehumanising language on Boards.ie at all.
    If you look at the dictionary definition of a certain derogatory word beginning with k which has been used by some to describe certain members of Irish society, one finds no reference to its abusive connotations. That a dictionary or Wikipedia doesn’t allude to the meaning hateful people use the term for is no defence against hate speech.

In the first instance it is not hate speech.

Your earlier claims have been discredited now you get even further away with that with vague talk of dehumanising language. Goalposts shifted and still a miss.

There is no more defence needed against false claims of hate speech than that.

People are reacting with strong language to absolutely vile conduct by Russian forces. The hateful people are the ones carrying out those acts and those who support them publicly or tacitly. I could legimiately call them far worse but thst would involve profanity. Orcs will suffice.

In the second instance, in the context of this thread, site is a graveyard, the notion that the few people who claim to be bothered by Russians engaged in vile conduct being called orcs are a factor doesnt stand up to scrutiny.

Much like suggesting someone is a dick who condones personal insults if you don't agree with them.

The dichotomy on display here is staggering.

Maybe it’s best to leave mods and site admins to determine what constitutes hate speech rather than arguing that some peoples are deserving of hate.
    Surely intelligent and eloquent posters such as yourself can articulate your outrage at clearly vile acts without resorting to hateful, dehumanising terms that only serve to reflect poorly on the user of such terms.
    If hate speech is to be allowed against all those who perpetuate vile acts, as you seem to suggest, then this site would become a very hateful place indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s derogatory language and should therefore be banned in all cases. There is no justification for letting posters celebrate casualties as long as they are on Russian side either. That thread is probably the most toxic one on the site and it’s amazing what is allowed to be posted there.

Yes the dichotomy on display here is staggering. Posters using harsher language and expressing more concern about Russians carrying out vile acts in Ukraine being called orcs than they ever displayed in discussing the vile acts themselves.

You agreed that personal insults falls under being a dick.

You were completely unable to offer any coherent explanation as to why thanking such an insult is not "being a dick". If you recall, you tried to ignore the question multiple times as you couldn't offer any credible response. Which proves the point, it is being a dick.

It is derogatory language against Russian invaders. It is not derogatory language against posters on this site. There is not and never has been a general rule against using derogatory language to express your opinions against those responsible for vile acts.

• Advertisement

Ah you were the one implying there was hate speech in your opening post. And then when your claims were challenged, you fall back to, the mods should decide. Read your first post back to yourself then in light of that. Strange that you allow yourself to express such opinions but when others express contrary opinions you try to delegitimize it.

You were asked to support your claims and you were unable to. The posts you cited proved no such thing as your originally claimed. You had to shift the goalposts and water down your claim to the vague 'dehumanising language', a definition you could drive a bus through.

So your premise falls at the first fence.

What I actually said was:

People are reacting with strong language to absolutely vile conduct by Russian forces.

Which you attempted to twist into me somehow supporting 'hate speech' on boards. A claim without merit and without foundation.

I think what reflects poorly on posters is when instead of unreservedly condemning and expressing their disapproval of vile acts by Russians invaders - whether in emotional language like orcs, or more 'eloquently' - is those who instead resort to weasel words and equivocations and semantic games and whataboutery to avoid doing so. That is toxic. It is not honest. It is not sincere.

It is those kind of actions which drive people away from the site when left to run amok. To re-iterate, the notion that some posters calling Russian invaders carrying out atrocities orcs is somehow a factor in the 'decline' of boards as per this thread topic strikes me as entirely without substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

My apologies Legend, I hadn't read through the thread and assumed you were advocating for banning some topics entirely, which seemed a bit drastic, even with my bad experiences.

If only your examples could be honoured without posters instantaneously being labeled racist, homophobic, et al ….but experience proves differently. Black and white is all many see - when any opinion differs (even mildly) from their own (or from group-think), they dig in their heals to discredit, intimidate or humiliate…. For me, it's not worth the battle to post much, given the hostile environment.

I'm not getting into another back and forth but maybe find a post with personal abuse that I've thanked before throwing the dick accusation.

I've explained why I think thanks shouldn't be moderated, that doesn't mean I condone posts with personal abuse. I've explained that I've reported them, but that's not enough. 🤷‍♀️

No problem, Deja. 🙂

All I'm suggesting is allowing discussion of all topics, whilst disallowing hate speech, but yes, there's no room for grey areas.

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

Reread my posts. There was no implication that you personally had engaged in such conduct. I dont know where you got that idea from. I certainly did not intend to make any such claim against you.

I was speaking of a general scenario, of an example of a post which is plainly personal abuse, has not been edited. The original poster is being a dick.

Whether it is practical or not to moderate the thanks, but to me somebody who thanks that post is plainly being a dick also. It is toxic because it shows wider support for such conduct.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Is there any point discussing moderating the thanks?

It won't happen, not a realistic option currently. Mods can barely keep up with the reported posts.

• Advertisement

Derogatory language and celebration of death and violence needs to be banned collectively for all groups of people, not just for the ones that you side with.

Here are examples of the last page on said thread:

”Not only were the dumb fuks marching but also digging trenches”

“Sounds like them drones need to start dropping rat poison into every stream and lake along the front”

”Just need to poison one to put the fear into them”

It would be good to have a mod or admin confirm the site’s stance on this type of posting.

I made the suggestion. It has been aired for consideration, other posters have expressed their view on it.

I will not bring it up again except to challenge critical comments made about the idea.

This is the definition of derogatory:

showing a critical or disrespectful attitude

Would suit certain quarters alright if derogatory language cant be used against rapists, those who abuse children, murderers etc. Or racists. And i dont mean posters on boards. Those carrying out the acts in the real world.

I can dig out the post in current affairs where you said a woman being beaten by their partner was of no real concern to you - the actual violence inflicted on her. Remarkable here the claim that you are concerned by language used on boards about Russian soldiers.

You are deflecting and getting personal now. Surely you agree that comments such as the ones I quoted above should not be allowed to stand on a discussion board? These comments would be banned swiftly if made against other nations so why make an exception for one country?

“I'm feeling very upbeat about Ukraine's jaunt into Mordor”. Comments like this make it clear that criticism of Russians is not confined to their army alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Deal with the posters who gaslight everyone in a thread.

This thread is full of racism, islamophobes, transphobia, hate-mongering or whatever other buzzword.

When asked to provide examples you get told to read the thread or no response.

The intent of these posts is to purely gaslight other posters into a reaction as it serves no other purpose.

If you see racism etc report the posts or highlight the posts you are talking about instead of a blanket statement.

Cutting out that behaviour will certainly reduce the amount of arguing in threads.

• Advertisement

Im not getting 'personal'. My reply relates to the content of your public posts on boards and contradictions therein.

The comments referred to are being made not about posters on boards, not about Irish public figures... they are not being made about a race, religion, gender.

They are being made against Russian military and those supporting that war effort. An illegal war of atrocity.

Im sure there are also criticisms of Russia's regime and the Russians which defend it and rightly so. However it would be wrong to imply the criticisms and language are on the same level.

Posters should be entitled to use forceful and derogatory language towards those carrying out vile acts.

It is up to mods to determine if the language crosses the line in specific cases. If you return to the thread you will see that other posters have engaged with the wisdom of some of the remarks you have highlighted, which seems a good example of a discussion board in action.

But to re-iterate the notion such language is a factor in the 'decline' of boards doesnt stand up to scrutiny. The thread is one of the most active on CA and there is always the Politics forum for those who wish to discuss matters with less forceful language.

I think its not realistic . But could it not be included in a community mission statement to try to reduce such behaviour generally .

Thanking sxxx posting and values even if you don't really fully subscribe to it just because a poster you generally agree with posts it, is bringing us all down here . That and thanking threadbans are such negative and nasty scoring and think we are all guilty at some point .

Another thing to think about ..whats the list looking like now ?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Feedback? It's simple - as far as the ordinary poster is concerned little or nothing has changed since the original thread that begat this one. One moderator in CA retired and otherwise it's been 'service' as normal.

As regards threads that deal with current affairs, culture, economy and politics etc., the site needs a root & branch examination of the parameters that posters should stay in. These should be made clear with examples. If they are too regressive, people will choose to leave. Too lax and it may cause problems. There's a balance to be struck that should generally air on the side of free speech, without endangering the site.

The present moderators and admins of these forums should be moved out to other parts of the site. New moderators/ admins should be set up that are knowledgeable on the matters raised and who apply warnings & sanctions in an impartial way to all sides of a debate, where posters clearly infringe the above parameters. There should be clear explanation of why a certain post contravened the parameters.

Thread bans should have some threshold where they expire for longer standing and valuable posters.

Some of above will increase workload on moderators. This is why light touch and clear impartial moderation is important, to reduce the level of interactions.

You are trying to deflect. I am not in a habit of name calling and prefer to discuss topics and cases on a factual basis.

“Posters should be entitled to use forceful and derogatory language towards those carrying out vile acts.”

And this is where I disagree. Everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes a “vile act” and it is impossible to reinforce if boundaries are not clear. Many complaints and feedback suggestions on this thread stem from people feeling that rules are not clear and enforced inconsistently. This is something that can be clarified via an updated forum charter as suggested earlier.

Indeed .

Should deal with those who make claims they cannot back up with hateful language and who erupt when somebody asks them to explain why they think that stance is ok

Sure may as well just let people say whatever they want and don't reply on thread , just report ?

Would cut out a lot of arguing alright .Probably divide a thread by half, some by three quarters ..great idea /p

Then the whinging about posters' reporting begins and the long repeated DRP about how they were unfairly threadbanned and mod bias etc . But thats ok because those threads are becoming such a major feature and an entertaining facet of the site now, nearly should have their own forum .

Any suggestions for a name for that new disappointed railing posters forum , folks ?

Seriously , do you really think people should be allowed say whatever they like unchallenged ? Whats the point of that ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's not nice when people thank an abusive post, I've been there in the past and it's not nice to see a list of posters who thanked it but I don't think it's a realistic idea either to sanction everyone that thanked it.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say here.

My point was clear and I have no idea what this is to do with my post.

If you want to suggest other scenarios where people should be sanctioned feel free to do so, their is no need to quote my post.

I added in the relevant bit there after you had read it , sorry about that .

"Seriously , do you really think people should be allowed say whatever they like unchallenged ? Whats the point of that ?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It makes no sense. If 40 people thank an abusive post, how would this even work when you can only see a small fraction of those that thanked it?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No I said they should be reported to a mod or the poster called out by whoever is making the accusation.

Saying a thread is full of something and not backing it up is nothing but gaslighting the whole thread.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I want people to say what they want unchallenged.

I want people doing such things called out for it or reported and sanctioned by a mod.

Making a blanket statement and not backing it up is not challenging anyone, it just annoys everyone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement