Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Financial Rules Discussion - including Man City Charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It would be difficult to get a practising lawyer to stake their reputation on giving an opinion like that tbh. They are slippery creatures by their very nature so to tie them down to an opinion they aren't being paid for wouldn't be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

borson on talksport says he doesnt think city can win the case (the new one).

i've not watched all of this as i find him hard to listen to, and there is no one asking him very tough questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Stefan is a Man City fan who used to work for Man City iirc.

I remember him from twitter a year or so ago before he sold out and went down the Talksport route. Horrible crowd they are. But his viewpoints on Man City seems to have changed. He used to infer that Man City were very clearly in trouble and would outline why whereas now his tweets don't seem to be. Not heavy handed, and at the same time there is more troll-y undertone to his tweets on the actual football when it comes to Man City's rivals, IMO.

Someone might have had a word with him, as he became more prominent on Twitter and in the media. It happens.

Post edited by Fitz* on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He's always very forgiving towards City, it's a little bit of a difficult listen with him, he's too close to that club to give an honest appraisal.

He may not work for them any more but I doubt that Abu Dhabi crowd are people you spend years working with only to go and offer criticism when they're in the middle of a legal and PR battle like this one.

Whatever about the likes Gary Neville having a go at the Glazers mismanagement of United, a group of people who are known for incompetence and disinterest as opposed to the reputation of gulf States and how they deal with dissent.

I've always felt it's a bit of a waste of time having people from the Man City circle interviewed on these topics, like with everything you're better off with dispassionate impartial commentary, all of which is now almost universally negative towards City and with good reason.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ya I don't think he can be taken seriously regarding anything to do with City, he's clearly a fan and rarely criticises them in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

More up to date info from the times today.

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/football/article/man-city-hearing-charges-premier-league-apt-rules-sqbqsj6wc

BTW lads the English times is free this weekend no paywall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It seems like whoever gets promoted will have a large say in this cos there still ain't a 14 majority willing to vote against city.

Aston Villa and Crystal Palace abstained, with Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Fulham, Luton, West Ham United and Wolverhampton Wanderers forming a 12-club majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

City might offer to loan the promoted clubs a few players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I read something the other day that said the Villa owners were moving all their loot to the UAE so it's not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Yeah Villa’s majority owner moved his money to Abu Dhabi so he isn’t going to vote against City in anything

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I can absolutely see a breakaway league happening.

Personally, I'd love to see all the state clubs f*cked out, and they can form their own "super-elite" league. Honestly, wouldn't bother me one bit.

I wonder what would happen though if the current (what is it, 12 that are vocally against City?) clubs voted to refuse to take part in the PL if the APT rules are found to be illegal. There's no chance any club will be able to compete against the state clubs, so what's the point? There's no level playing field there at all.

As someone else said, if the ATP rules fall, what's to stop City suing the PL to allow them to use unlimited substitutes as all the players have work contracts and the PL rules are officially preventing those workers from working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Southampton have an arrangement with Man City for getting young players. Romeo Lavia, Gavin Bazunu, Shea Charles, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Samuel Edozie and Juan Larios have all moved in the last couple of years.

It's highly unlikely that they would want to jeopardise that relationship.

It is interesting times. Who knows what will happen with a breakaway. Superleague is back on the agenda with the Spanish court ruling lately. Do City, Newcastle, Chelsea and Villa (I'm guessing these 4 are together) all go with Real, Barcelona and maybe the Italians and PSG to set up their own SL? How would UEFA respond? Which side would the broadcasters take? The American sponsors/ ME owners could throw money at these clubs if they're happy to play an overseas match. The Pl could be over as we know it if all the cash ends up with the potential breakaway or they completely make fools of themselves and they end up with nothing and the PL wins. Either way it's a shitfight that will probably be decided in a lawyers office in 10 or 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Dan Steely

Is the tribunal tomorrow a one day thing?

If the likes of City, Chelsea, Villa & Newcastle want to push for their own financial rules, what could happen is that in retaliation some of the more traditionally established clubs then push for a removal of the communal TV revenue model, and grow themselves with direct streaming services while others will falter.

2 wrongs to varying degrees really, and shouldn't be allowed. But self serving clubs will try and push these through into the PL without caring about what is best for fairness as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Agreed but titles should be redistributed.

Otherwise cheating wins.

Congratulations to Jose and Ole on their PL titles 😉

Scrap the cap!

Football's governing bodies have chosen to be taken for absolute fools, and as they sow so shall they reap.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I'm only quoting what's being reported by several media outlets. I can't link now but a quick search will show it up.

No, they don't.

MCFC can and should be expelled from the Premier League. Now, whether any league below the PL will accept them or not is certainly not the PL's problem.

Scrap the cap!

Any breakaway that doesn't also exclude NCFC would make no sense at all.

Scrap the cap!

It is the PLs problem there's a tribunal happening in a few hours. The lawyers will be fighting this battle. As much as we don't like it City aren't going anywhere.

Questions to be answered about how they got a taxpayer and ratepayer funded stadium on the cheap, too.

Scrap the cap!

You beat me to it.

Whatever about the legal outcome, all of MCFC's "trophies" are as valid as Armstrong's "wins".

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Ineos supposedly now open to a full sale of Nice. I don't think there was ever a strategy in place for them to create a group of clubs like the City group, they had the opportunity to buy a stake in United appear somewhat out of the blue. Nice should have a different owner to any other club competing in UEFA competitions, hopefully Ineos do the right thing and make a break from it now.

Glazers Out!

Villa hinting they might join City now in the courts. At the very least they are clearly on Citys side.

https://www.espn.com.sg/soccer/story/_/id/40325886/aston-villa-owner-sue-premier-league-spending-rules

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

slightly misleading as city want rid of the Associated Party Transaction rules (APT), which are designed to regulate clubs signing sponsorship deals with companies linked to their owners.

Meanwhile I think a lot think that the PSR rules in their current form aren’t ideal and I guess that is why it seems this might be the final season before they bring in something different like the proposed anchored salary cap system. I’ve definitely heard this sentiment (from the anrt linked above) echoed from fans of many different teams.

“Some of the rules have actually resulted in cementing the status quo more than creating upward mobility and fluidity in the sport.“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kinda have to laugh at this, one good season and they want the rules changed to benefits themselves.

It is very arrogant alright. We all know what billionares are like though, they are used to getting their own way and never accept the word no.

• Advertisement

Yes I am a biased Villa fan but

I think they would have liked the rules changed even if they didn't have such a good season.

Do you disagree with what they are actually saying I.E that the PSR rules are not ideal and in many ways make it harder to compete with the already established big boys. I thought that was a pretty commonly held belief and that most people thought that a better system than the current rules should be sought.

Isn't that the whole reason for the talk of salray caps and anchoring etc.

But yeah arrogant upstarts trying to mix it up with the big boys should know their place I suppose.

I don't like PCR or the way FFP is constructed by basically forming a cartel but taking the PL to court is a step too far. I've said here before if a club wants to spend it should be allowed to. I do feel sorry for fans who have lost out to the likes of City by I put all the blame on the greedy PL by allowing clubs to be state owned and it's biting them on the ass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

No, Billionaires should not be allowed to load a bunch of money into a football club to buy all the players around them.
    That kind of crazy market inflation has serious knock-on effects on the rest of football. For clubs trying to compete, for fans etc..

Landing a club with a bunch of high-value, long-term contracts on players they could never hope to afford should their billionaire decide to switch their attention elsewhere is not good for clubs.
    It will cost the league and local communities in England some of their clubs.

Just because Man City's owners aren't walking away doesn't mean we make it a free-for-all all for everyone. And actually City are a good example - should something change with their owners, a falling out with UK gov or something similar then what exactly happens to Man City? Because Man City cannot legitimately generate the funds they have been posting these last few years (not yet at least).

If UAE pull their funding, their sponsorship deals, their creative accounting then Man City as a football club is screwed. They would be gone. Their fans will lose everything and the UAE will walk away free.

If someone wants to take over a club and grow it over 5/10/20/30 years and make sure that club is being run in a way that is sustainable without their money being pumped in then that is excellent and should absolutely be allowed. But it does need to be regulated to insure this is actually happening.

The anchored salary cap is the best idea I have heard so far. It forces clubs to be well run if they want to get to the top and will punish those who are not. It will mean clubs who make mistakes cannot then just spend their way out of trouble. They need long-term plans.

We need to stop the idea that the only way to the top of the league is to become the asset of a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I agree, the PSR rules only benefit the Big 6 , ring fencing the chances for the rest to ever realistically compete - Everton, Forest, Leicester have been penalised along with now Newcastle, Villa, Wolves and any other mid ranking teams that wants to show ambition to join elite, they end up selling ther best. Needs to re-written to encourage comptition at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The main issue I have with the current rules is that there's a set threshold based on filed financial figures and specific date windows, but no standardisation on punishments or timing of punishments

Last season was absolutely ludicrous where they were changing the league table multiple times during the season because of different teams with different points deductions and different appeals

If you're strict on the timeframe of the financial figures then be strict on the mapping of points deductions to threshold breach %, and apply them all to offending teams uniformly at the same point with a set date for completion of appeal and any points adjustments - and to me this should all be at the very start of the season

There's a huge difference to getting a points deduction in December with a transfer window upcoming in Jan, and a points deduction in February or March where you might be suddenly pulled into a relegation battle you weren't prepared for and no opportunity to react in the transfer market

Start with properly defining punishments, then decide the date on which to apply for all offenders. That's a really good start.

Overall I agree that there has to be some sort of overhaul, but whatever the replacement rules are, I still think the appropriate punishment will be to have a points deduction meaning you have to sort out the timing of them regardless

Perhaps I've missed it but nowhere in that article does anything Nassef Sawiris said hint at Villa taking legal action despite the articles headline mentioning legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Just spend what you earn, it’s not that difficult of a concept to understand. Clubs have had over a hundred years to build themselves to where they are now. No shortcuts.

As for this “Red Cartel” nonsense that people are coming out with. How’s that working out? 1 league title between Liverpool, United and Arsenal in the last 10 years.

I agree they should be allowed to spend. I've no skin in the PL game but I do see the frustration from fans. People will argue City didn't "earn" their money it was thrown at them by fiddling the books and it's hard to disagree. I do believe PSR, FFP is seriously flawed and is to keep the top dogs at the head of the table but I think fans should be directing their anger at the PL not city. A blind man could've seen this happening whenthey gave government's permission to buy clubs. They then shat themselves and tried these new financial rules when it was too late. Typical barn door horse has bolted stuff.

Post edited by Pauliedragon on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Has there being any updates on where their lawsuit against the PL is at? was the court case last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Started last Monday and was expected to last two weeks, which would conclude tomorrow. There has been nothing leaked or officially announced to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How close are Man Utd to breaching PSR regulations?

I see that they've posted a loss of £72m for 2023-2024, so far, with 3 more months to go in the season accounts. IIRC there was another big loss of a similar figure a year or two ago aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can't imagine we have failed PSR - in June we bid for Brantwaite (maybe that was posturing and knew it would be rejected) but also, importantly, did not sell any players and did not push to sell any players on the cheap or do some nice PSR swaps. I have to imagine if there was any real danger, there would have been some movement. Technically we also agreed a fee for Ashworth, but United could argue that should be considered in the July period.

The other argument could be that United believe there are large costs they can exempt from the PSR calcs (the 30m paid to Raine for the sale process, for example) and that is why they are comfortable - but then the PL could disagree with them on that. Part of Everton's breach was down to a disagreement on how certain stadium related costs would be handled.

and then also part of Chelsea's breach, and the reason why they got off, was one of those extra-curricular sales of the stadium to themselves. Which was ridiculous.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a massive rush to sell players, but then Greenwood is being sold so maybe his sale is covering the limit. Maybe that security of knowing that sale will go through is easing any PSR breach fears. If there was more public knowledge of Man Utd being close to a PSR breach, then they would be in a weak position in the transfer market and so you would want to avoid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think (but not certain) any sales now would be part of the 24/25 accounts, so not part of the PSR breaches (potentially) that we could be docked for. That is why there was a flurry of activity the week up to June 30 - and United agreeing a deal with newcastle for Ashworth on June 30th.

I have read that the June 30th thing isn't actually real though, and it is more so that accounts have to be presented between June and July, and a club would have to argue why some sales or costs are included or excluded based on dates… but it sure did seem June 30th was a cut off for a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Any word or updates on the City case anywhere?

The hearing took 18 months to come about and it'll be 2 years since they were charged before a verdict. Then what happens assuming they get punished willl be multiple appeals. This case will probably drag on for god knows how many years.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Plenty of time for them to keep hoovering up Premier League titles.

They should be found guilty and chucked into the lower leagues but they'll end up getting out of it on appeal on some technicality or other and keep dominating football.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement