Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kneecap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fassbender is a big get for their film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Just saw the trailer online. I cant understand that northern accent, and i cant understand the irish.

I'll wait until its on general release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just seen it too. I had mistakenly assumed it wasn't going to be film for me, but it looks great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really liked it. It's quite accessible for people who don't speak the language though it is a bit annoying how much I needed the subtitles. Great atmosphere at the cinema here in London.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm very glad this exists alongside An Cailín Ciúin. While that film was a perfectly crafted wonder of a film that proved there's an exciting future for Irish film, this is the brash, in-your-face, and almost certainly very popular alternate viewpoint the language needed just as badly. The film sticks pretty rigidly to its 'getting the band together' genre formula, but it's the sheer cheeky attitude that elevates it. Crude, drug-fuelled, unapologetically political, and - crucially - very, very funny. There's one joke involving a certain political figure that had me full-on belly laughing.

A damn good time, and hopefully it's the massive hit it deserves to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I heard the lads on with Pat Kenny this morning and they sound great craic and the film itself sounds look good crack too. I'm imagining a sort of cross between Derry Girls and Snatch through the medium of Irish.

I'll definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Went to see it last night

Brilliant!!! Defo recommend!

I wonder how much of it is true and how much is embellished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not my cup if tea. Surely coming to with a decent name for the film should not have been hard instead of that stupid name. I will wait a few years and watch it on RTE whenever it gets there. No way I way would pay €2 never mind more to see that in a cinema sorry. It should have been a straight to T.V film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Putting aside the very bizarre suggestion it should've been a 'straight to TV film' (because you don't want to go to the cinema to see it?), Kneecap is a great band and film name. Both a cheeky reference to the band's deep Belfast roots and an Irish-language pun. Suitably in-your-face given the nature of the trio's music and attitude. No notes IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s something very forced and sort of safe about Kneecap. Performative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The name, their names, the balaclava, the constant need to be edgy. There’s something so forced about it all. There’s a whiff of middle-class art student about them.

I disagree. Makes perfect sense for a rap troupe from West Belfast to behave in that manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭4Ad

Really enjoyed it, bit corny at times.I took my 18 year old niece from London,she was in stitches...

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

"Kneecap is a great band and film name. Both a cheeky reference to the band's deep Belfast roots 

and

an Irish-language pun. Suitably in-your-face given the nature of the trio's music and attitude. No notes IMO."

I disagree. Think it's a terrible name and have no interest in the band of the same name or this. Besides to many proper good films in the cinema to go see this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Newbie20

If you’ve no interest in seeing it (which is perfectly fine), I don’t really get why are you bothering with several comments here saying that you’ve no interest in seeing it?

Anyway, I went to see it tonight and really enjoyed it. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭iniscealtra

Really enjoyed it. Quite like the fact that you have no idea what’s fact or fiction. Didn’t expect Fastbender’s part to be so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And then makes comments like this, without having seen it….

I agree. Like they are trying too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've heard it's brilliant. Can't wait to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Every time I see the balaclava guy putting up a middle finger to the cameras, I think: 'Holy ****, that's cool'. They're like an Irish Pussy Riot, but 'rebelling' against nothing in particular, other than being born 30 years too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just back. Thought it was brilliant

"Oh sorry never watched it, should have been straight to TV, the balaclava I'm so offended"

It's a band, their job is to entertain and to entertain the demographic that earns them the most money.

Just like every other band, movie star etc…

Some sad cnuts in here trying to bring ithem down.

No acting skills at all and they nailed it.

From nothing to the Oscars. Hope they win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

The amount of Irish people that queue up to piss on each others success never ceases to amaze me.

Lots of begrudgers.

It's usually people not happy with their own life etc, and can't stand others having success. Their loss.

Fantastic to see Kneecap having success. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It is possible to dislike something/someone for reasons other than begrudgery.

Absolutely.

Point stands though, lots of people are begrudgers though. It's an Irish (and British) trait.

Americans are the complete opposite. Saying that, they are very OTT 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

How can someone comment on the quality of a movie without having even seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thought it was a lot of fun. Quite formulaic storytelling and the emotional end of it probably could have been punchier, but it's funny and the use of music is really strong, and of course, the language elements are all handled really well. I enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

That's one of the most quintessential things about Ireland.

We love love beating down fellow Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Do we? Irish people hate Saoirse Ronan, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Michael Fassbender, Katie Taylor, Niall Horan, Kellie Harrington, etc etc etc? The only worldwide famous Irish person that we find divisive is probably Conor McGregor, which is more to do with his tweets than his fighting. The cliche you're talking about is not reality, it's just a cliche people like to repeat.

The whole point of Kneecap is to provoke a reaction. You have a lad wearing a tricolour balaclava. People will have an opinion on that. And we can all be happy if Irish people are doing well but also think their act is 'not for me'/'a bit try-hard'. I think their act is a bit of a grift but best of luck to them as I'm sure plenty, especially Irish-Americans, will lap it up.

Advertisement