Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mention was made on RTE that Musk spoke on one specific topic [government efficiency] four times in their conversation to which Trump eventually replied that Musk would fit the appointment of the person in charge of that commission; or words to that effect.

Either that is a quid pro quo to Musk for having him on the show or merely a political promise not worth the breath used to speak it. It appears that Trump does have a pair and that he felt them being delicately squeezed live on air.

Edit: the Trump plan to get rid of the Dept of Education, is that part of the great next year plan he denies has anything to do with him, that he disavows all knowledge of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,851 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wow - trump's communication team certainly are pleasant..

It's Cheung's third Trump campaign so he's sticking to his [political strategist] colours.

His eyesight must be failing too, as the names are right at the bottom.....

More a touch of Trump-ism as his boss cant even spell Harris, he probably confuses Walz's name with the border wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Funnily enough getting rid of the department of education is from project 2025 which Trump claims he has nothing to do with. Although those recently released videos from the Trump leak were primers for project 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's more that they want the name of the specific campaign staff member who wrote or posted it on behalf of the campaign. I'm sure it's just for academic purposes, and not at all to post the name publicly so Trump supporters can direct hate mail and threats to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Economics101

I hope this link doesn't fall foul of the Washington Post paywall. Jennifer Rublin calls out the MSM on the way they have left Trump off the hook by failing to question him properly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/08/12/media-questions-debate/?utm_campaign=wp_follow_jennifer_rubin&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl-jenniferrubin&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3eaf8f3%2F66b9f8551bb5c9519ed2e35f%2F650d8c40a2b063305b571056%2F6%2F23%2F66b9f8551bb5c9519ed2e35f&commentID=c7054352-f05e-4b57-a1f8-be9b52543e6d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭corkie

Are posters looking for me to post a controversial opinion on the Musk's Billed 'Conversation' and not that it was an interview. I don't have such an opinion.

And there is nothing controversial in the MSM reporting of it, for me to poke at. It was an event that happened. And I posted about it while the events were happening.

This is a tweet, that kind of rings true to me, and might clarify my opinion.

Since you've linked to your own social media and aren't willing to state anything, is it safe to assume your view aligns with this retweet? It's pretty disingenuous to dump headlines with no comment.

Ah nvm, you clarified. It's the conspiracy theory crowd you're favouring.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Double standards, probably caused by the wish from the media to have a closer race... Which means ratings!

We saw it with Biden. Multiple editorials calling for him to step down.

With trump, statements are sanitised, or headlines slanted. No calls for him to step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Well if that's supposed to imply that you' re an advocate of free speech why not speak freely and give your views here, instead of just linking to external websites and pimping your own twitter account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Honestly, they don't help themselves by blatantly lying all the time, I'd pity someone who thinks that is some sort of journalistic or press freedom going on. It's all for the purpose of self-aggrandisement.

I'm pretty sure if social media was around when Henry Ford was pushing the protocols of Zion, people would be arguing that he's the one true free speech advocate.

Coincidentally Betty DeVos, a former SecEd under Trump [who resigned over the Jan 6th event] said at an election rally for Michigan Republican Senate hopeful Mike Rogers on Aug 5th told The Detroit News that she would return to the job if asked but that she didn't think Trump would ask her. She added that she was open to the idea 'only if it was with the goal of phasing out the Department of Education as we tried to do through budgetary process in the first administration.' [in 2020].

'Also getting a commitment to passing a major education freedom bill in the form of a tax credit mechanism at the Department of Treasury,' DeVos added. 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

We also have the double standard of the fact that none of the outlets that were sent all the "hacked" info from the Trump campaign have released a word of it - They've said they have it and described the topics covered (Vance vetting doc etc.) but haven't re-produced a single line of it.

Clinton was hacked by the Russians in 2016 and they went to town on it , covering every line of every document/email in minute detail endlessly for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭scottser

It literally says 'Harris/Walz' at the bottom.

@Sigma101 I suppose you could call me an advocate for free speech (not hate speech), I still believe online free speech is an illusion. Governed by the platform and codes of conduct.

While Thierry Breton’s ‘Trump’ letter crossed the line with Elon Musk, X is now fairly regarded as an agent of civil unrest in Europe
    EU Commissioner Thierry Breton shouldn’t have warned Elon Musk about a future interview with Donald Trump. But he’s right to single out X as an outlier for content that helps fan the flames of riots across Europe

Like I said already, waiting to hear the reaction from Thierry Breton and our politicians. Musk was wrong to interfere in UK affairs. Also said I believe that I didn't care for Trump or Musk.

This is CA and not politics forum. People tend to post one liners her and get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eh, as remembered by Trumpers the media was also cautious to dump that information online too, except Trumpers described it as a “cover up” by the media that they wouldn’t uncritically republish the contents of an uncertain laptop allegedly obtained by Rudy Giuliani through a blind computer repairman in Delaware

That Twitter account that you're citing is a classic "Irish patriot" is actively engaging in hate speech so I think your idea of free speech is pretty extreme.… Equally Musk and Trump are very much so advocates for hate speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Roger Stone's emails hacked too, now there's some stories they could tell

Calendar invites for swingers parties? 😂

That remark on unions is likely to cause Trump proper issues. Basically admits to not really giving a **** about the working class. It's basically campaigning gold for Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭storker

That is the problem and my concern, who defines 'Hate Speech' and then gets to regulate and censor content based on it? https://www.un.org/en/hate-speech/understanding-hate-speech/what-is-hate-speech ~ Coimisiún na Meán defines illegal content as:- <quoted here>

I don't want to drag this thread further into a discussion about it, more suitable on 'X' thread? (now active again for a small while).

I'm glad the Musk & Trump conversation didn't get controversial last night, and give Thierry Breton more ammunition to enforce the Draconian laws against 'X' and Social Media.

Trump has an opportunity to turn the whole ship around.

All he needs to do is listen to cogent advice and be disciplined, stay on message.

However, he is 78 years old narcissist, who will only listen to "yes" men and is imploding slowly.

3 months to go.

Everytime he opens his mouth, things get worse.

The Daily had a pod entitled "inside the three worst weeks of Trump's campaign".

All I could think of was...

I suppose you could call me an advocate for free speech (not hate speech)

What was your definition of hate speech when you said this

I mean was anyone really expecting a 78 year old man who has been the same horrible person his entire life to suddenly become the next Abe Lincoln because someone confirmed his siege mentality for him?

Getting shot at and/or facing serious legal and financial consequences might change someone, or at least convince them to appear changed for a mere three months...

Not for an old man with ASPD or something

https://comorbidityguidelines.org.au/what-are-the-different-types-of-personality-disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder-apsd

The main feature of ASPD (previously known as ‘psychopathy’ or ‘sociopathy’) is a pattern of personality traits that involves the disregard of other people’s feelings or rights. People with ASPD may behave in ways that are considered deceitful or manipulative to get their own way (e.g., behaving in a very charming way in order to obtain something, and then indifferently once they have it [168]). The main characteristics of ASPD are described in Table 18.

Main characteristics of ASPD

Difficulty following rules or conforming to social norms with respect to lawful behaviour. People with ASPD may repeatedly be involved in behaviours that are grounds for arrest (e.g., destroying property, harassing others, stealing, or pursuing illegal occupations).

Behaving deceptively or manipulatively. People with ASPD may be deceptive or manipulative in order to get their own way (e.g., to obtain money, sex, or power).

A tendency for impulsive behaviour due to a failure to plan ahead. Decisions may be made on the spur of the moment, without forethought, and without consideration of the consequences for themselves or others. This may lead to sudden changes of jobs, residences, or relationships.

Irritability and aggression. A person with ASPD may be repeatedly involved in physical fights or assaults and may be aggressive towards other people.

Disregard for their own or other’s safety. For example, recurrent speeding, driving while intoxicated, multiple accidents, or high-risk sex.

Consistent and extreme irresponsibility. For example, irresponsible work behaviour, such as long periods of unemployment despite several job opportunities, abandonment of jobs without a plan for getting another, or repeated unexplained absences from work. Financial irresponsibility may include acts such as defaulting on debts and failing to provide child support.

The absence of remorse for the consequences of their actions. People with ASPD tend to provide superficial excuses for having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from someone. They may blame the victims of their actions for being foolish, helpless, or deserving their fate. People with ASPD may have difficulty showing empathy towards other people or remorse for their behaviour and may instead focus on self-interests.

• Advertisement

Use the term loosely to refer to what Coimisiún na Meán defines illegal content. If the UN doesn't define it, your hardly expect me to do so? I was preemptive to try avoid someone raising a counter argument for free speech in general which may include extremes.

However, to date there is no universal definition of hate speech under international human rights law. The concept is still under discussion, especially in relation to freedom of opinion and expression, non-discrimination and equality.

Advertisement