Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What are people’s opinions on Yisroel Dovid Weiss?
    I was watching him there on aljazeera and he made some very good points about how Zionism is driving antisemitism.
    Quite interesting if anyone saw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

There's nothing new about this. Some of the biggest proponents of Zionism are massive antisemites. Take John Hagee and CUFI. Putting up the funds to expand Israeli settlements all with the hope that it triggers the second coming of Jesus so he comes back to convert or barbeque the Jews. They've made it sufficiently obscure that most can't differentiate the two and any criticism of Israel is deemed antisemitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well any guy that's saying 'zionism' is driving 'anti semitism is going to be very popular in Ireland . He ll get invited on Matt Cooper and do the rounds. Anything that helps Ireland cover its arse is gonna be hugely popular

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

He has a point though, does he not?
    Zionism seems to be the militant wing of Judaism but he’s saying there are many Jews who don’t want Zionism.
    He saying Zionism is basically giving Judaism a bad name and driving antisemitism- which makes a lot of sense tbh.

Also would it not be a fair statement to say I support the Jews of Israel but I don’t support the zionists, likewise I support the Palestinians of Palestine but I don’t support hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭thereiver

I saw on sky news Israel expects an attack in the next 7 days probably from iran and hezbollah .

hezbollah have 1000s of missiles and an unlimited supply of missiles from iran. one thing about tech it gets more powerful every year.iran is working on drones that carry more explosives and have a long range.

if iran launch,es a missile or sends them to hezbollah to be launched doe,s it make much difference?

Israel has no wish to get into a full scale war with the hezbollah

https://news.sky.com/story/hezbollah-and-iran-poised-to-attack-israel-this-week-as-region-on-brink-of-dangerous-escalation-13196134

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭thereiver

it would be logical for israel to try and get a ceasefire asap before the situation escalates into chaos or into total war .the problem is bibi does not want to have a ceasefire ,he wants to declare total victory for political reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭engineerws

Crooke says the opposite. He says Israel wants a war and wants the USA to fight it for them and this is their best opportunity to get the USA to fight the war for them.

https://www.youtube.com/live/0_kCS6Cy0dw?si=P4QZ8sUDGoKBrLqb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tel Aviv got hit

Edit : they missed, hit the sea and other landed in Gaza.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's funny how France and others urge Iran to de-escalate but not a word about Israel doing so. Israel and their enablers really have the mentality of a domestic abuser- look what you made do…!

They're always right and can inflict maximum harm with out ever accepting any culpability. We see this play out in this thread with some of the apologist too. It's a tragedy when Israelis are forced to leave their homes but not a word of sympathy when Palestinians are forced from their homes. I am sure it's anti semitism to point this out, though. Just as any criticism of Putin's Russia is really a mask for hatred of all Russian people.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Right wing zionism is the problem. As I've mentioned before, I believe that israel has a right to exist. I believe that it has a right to security. I'm 100% anti settlements. However the far right zionists want everyone to conflate opposition to the settlements with antisemitism. So according to them I'm an antisemite.

Zionism should be a broad church. There should be room for varying beliefs about what israel should be whilst at the same time being united in the singular belief that israel should exist.

Unfortunately the far right in zionism increases antisemitism. The same way militant Muslims increase Islamophobia, militant judaism increases antisemitism. The same kind of idiot who believes that militant islamists are representative of all muslims will believe that militant settlers are representative of all jewish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Balagan1

No it didn't! But hey if you champion that website then it's straight from Hamas and of course they never tell an untruth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They missed it seems

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/2-long-range-gaza-rockets-land-off-tel-aviv-coast-hamas-claims-responsibility/

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,937 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is shocking.

I've seen posts today where a father was presented with an 18kg bag of body parts to bury in place of his son, other footage of a man supporting (unfortunately for him, still alive) a guy into a medical centre with both his arms in bits.

Pretty horrific **** OP have been at the past few days.

Ben Givir causing trouble again:

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/2024/08/13/us-calls-far-right-israeli-minister-s-prayer-at-al-aqsa-unacceptable-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,036 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But but but Hamas were hiding behind their little crib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I see that Ilhan Omar won her primary last night (56-43). Interestingly, AIPAC and other pro-Israel lobby groups did not target her in the same manner that they successfully targeting other squad members Jamal Bowman and Cori Bush. Given that Omar only won her last primary by a whisker and that she has been one of the strongest and consistent critics of Israel in the House I found it perplexing that they didn't go after her.

Here's an excerpt from a Guardian article about that:

In the wake of the 7 October attacks, and as Israel escalated its retaliatory war, Omar was among the first in Congress to call for a ceasefire. She has spoken out in support of the university encampments in solidarity with Gaza. Her daughter was suspended from Barnard College for taking part.

These together would seem to make Omar a natural target of pro-Israel groups, but Samuels, a former Minneapolis city councilman has not drawn support from Aipac or its affiliated Super Pac, United Democracy Project. In contrast, UDP dropped more than $20m to unseat Bowman and Bush.

The lobby groups have not said why they have not gotten involved in the Minnesota primary – but it is possible that Omar just did not provide them the fodder.

Despite Aipac’s single-issue focus on Israel, its messaging against other Squad members has not focused on the issue.

During Bowman’s race, his opponent George Latimer focused on Bowman’s vote against Joe Biden’s landmark infrastructure bill that numerous progressive lawmakers withheld support from in an attempt to build leverage to secure other progressive provisions. The idea that Bowman and Bush, who also voted against the infrastructure bill, had not played ball with Democrats became a centerpiece of Latimer’s campaign against Bowman and Wesley Bell’s against Bush.

In her primary campaign, meanwhile, Omar has emphasized the money that she has been able to direct to her district and even featured Joe Biden in an ad. “Congresswoman Omar, I wanna thank you for being here – you never stop working to level the playing field,” Biden says in the ad.

Additionally, Mark Mellman, the director of Democratic Majority for Israel – a pro-Israel group that also weighed in against Bush and Bowman – has cited the “vulnerability” of a candidate as a key factor informing whether the group gets involved in a race. Omar is popular in her district; internal campaign polling recently found her leading Samuels 60% to 33%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Suppose I am not saying anything that is not very obvious, but US democracy is in right state with these "superPACs" (generally, not just the pro Israel one mentioned above).

The USs ultra rich individuals, giant MNCs, [possibly] even foreign oligarchs, despots, and autocrats all seem to get a strong spoke in it via their wealth, above the heads of an ordinary US voter of average income who really just gets a ballot!

They badly need to get most of this money taken out of their politics, think it could solve many of the problems they have.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/14/israeli-forces-in-gaza

The Israeli apologists here must be digusted by this seeing as they abhor the use of human shields as a principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He doesn't want to declare total victory either: that would mean the resumption of normal business, elections, and his criminal prosecution.

One, lonely, upside thing about the Israeli legal system is the statute of limitations is minimum 10-20 years depending on the severity of the crime … he can't keep this up that long surely.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-netanyahu-corruption-trial-courts-4e18ed8f34e65707bd47e37696da4705

Then again some of the crimes he is on trial for literally span decades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Benjamin_Netanyahu

Today:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ag-to-high-court-clear-public-interest-in-wrapping-up-netanyahu-trial-quickly/

''The most moral army in the world.'' Total rabble.

He will get immunity somehow . His political obituary has been written before yet he always comes back

He is a political cockroach.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's obvious why Omar wasn't ousted. She's too hard to move. Even a big big influx of money might not have shifted her. There's a really strong far left and East African vote in her area. She's terrible, a real disaster of a politician. She'd have gotten on well with 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' types in Ireland and the UK. When she's re elected she ll have less of the squad around her...which is good.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭engineerws

I remember living in the UK and thinking corbyn was a crackpot. I watched him in parliament and was really surprised that he seemed excellent and I was impressed with his policies.

The labour flies show how the ousting of Corbyn was used to silence debate on Gaza.

Another 20 billion to Israel.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/blinken-approves-sale-israel-military-equipment-worth-over-20-bln-2024-08-13/

I wonder if it goes back into AIPAC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭circadian

This is still ongoing and is the preferred mechanism for the Starmer faction to oust anyone that doesn't toe the line.

Yes indeed. Even after WW2 there were people who refused to see anything wrong with the actions of their Fuhrer.

This is so salient!

The one thing this "conflict" has completely opened my eyes to although I empathized with the Palastinians long before October of last year is how Western hegemony is rotten to the core. As we're allied with the West we like to see ourselves on the right side. We may have even turned a blind eye to it cause of the comfort it affords us but nothing has shattered this illusion more than the enablement of what's unfolding in Gaza.

The complicity of media framing stories in ways to suit their backers; Israelis are butchered/slaughtered/murdered by Hamas whilst Gazans are killed/have died by some unseen unspoken force, is the most apparent example of this.

We don't live in democracies, we live in societies where a handful of power elites dictate the direction of our society. No-one summed this up better than Noah Chomsky back in 2014.

Post edited by Spudmonkey on

Corbyn's biggest crime is that he is pro-people and anti-war. That doesn't suit the status quo. If anything, it's a little dangerous to have someone like that around in case his positions start to resonate with the general populace.

Post edited by Spudmonkey on

• Advertisement

Well the people of Islington gave their answer to that. I

Advertisement