Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Trying to plan next years trip. Thinking Pin Parasol or Les Genets - anyone any feedback on Les Genets? I know plenty of people rate Pin Parasol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If you find nothing through the booking websites then check Accor and hotel b b websites as sometimes they only sell rooms off their own website

Hotel b & b almost always have proper family rooms, the Accor group has family rooms in ibis or ibis budget, rooms for 2 adults 2 kids in Novotel and often offers a second room for 50% off deal when booking direct

As mentioned above, booking 2 rooms might need to be done but ibis budget or hotel b b can be dirt cheap if you’re lucky and as cheap as a family room if it were available

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Deeman83

Has anyone sailed in October to France? (Halloween)

I am assuming there is a much higher risk of rough seas and storms. They tend to sail anyway and baton down the hatches, send passengers to the cabins?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭danfrancisco83

We want to park the car near the train station in Les Sables d'Olonne and get a train to Nantes for a day trip or maybe stay overnight. Is there any free parking near the train station? There's a car park beside the station that's around €16 a day, which is not bad, but free is better 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The leClerc in Tourlaville, Cherbourg is a good one and is only 10mins from the ferry terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Funny enough the I looked at two Ibis budget hotels and they didn't have any family rooms

Might have just been the short notice

Yeah I suspect incorrect details were also a factor. A lot of the hotels in the area were also glorified guest houses, which is fine but it does tend to mean they work with what they've got

I suppose now that we've a bit more time we can afford to look around a bit more. What happened in the end was we were able to stay in Les Ormes for a bit cheaper than a hotel so we just stayed put

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Atlantis in Nantes is just off the Western arc of the ring-road and has it all.

Paridis on the North-Eastern side of the ring is slightly smaller and has good access.

Alma in Rennes has been mentioned a lot here previously, and it's massive altogether.

How would people rate La Garangeoire or Le Pin Parasol for local sightseeing?

We did a few days trips from Les Ormes this year and it worked out really well so we're thinking of doing the same next year

I'm under orders that a maximum of 1 WW2 battle site and 1 cathedral are allowed 😁

Puy du Fou is definitely one place to visit, I'm wondering if there's other options around

The sub pens in St Nazaire aren't technically a WWII "battle site"… so there's that. Also the Passage du Gois is an interesting way to drive out to Noirmoutier island…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Have travelled Rosslare to Cherbourg a few times in October. Mostly it's grand though obviously a bit bumpier than in summer but nothing excessive to worry about.

The only really bad experience we had was on Stena Horizon when the bar and restaurant had to close at about 8pm due to it being unsafe to move around. Everyone just headed back to their cabins. The very rough seas lasted til around midnight. Arrived safely on time in Cherbourg to a beautiful autumn morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Auchan on the outskirts of Cherbourg is worth a visit.

https://www.auchan.fr/magasins/hypermarche/auchan-hypermarche-cherbourg/s-55

Well the missus' exact worlds were "war stuff" so I guess the sub pens count 😂

Probably on the more interesting side of things for the kids so would definitely be worth checking out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well there's always the "peace-keeping sub" on the opposite side of the harbour in that case.

Has Camping Club MS Les Brunelles been mentioned here at all? Just looking at it this afternoon as a potential option for next year and the pool complex looks huge

As far as I can recall, there's a dearth of proper cathedrals over that side of France, so she needs to be honest and let you feast on WWII while you famine on cathedrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Before I start I must preface this that it was our first time on a ferry to France so I don't really have anything to compare it to and we did not have a pet.

Anyway, got Stena Line from Roslare to Cherbourg in early June.

Went out on the Vision came back on the Horizon.

The cool thing about the Vision was that it had multiple decks with a balcony at the rear (stern) of each, which were nice to just stand on and look out at the sea.

The one on our deck was for pets also so a good few people were out there with their dogs.

There was also as of sun deck with a bar and seating, a lovely place to watch the sunset, actually I sat out there until beyond midnight sipping for bottles of Italian beer which were two for the price of one.

There were at least two restaurants, one with table service the other a carvery type place.

I only got a few bowls of chips in the carvery one, the kids brought pot noodles with them and that was plenty.

There was a room with video games but half of them were out of order.

There was also a big soft play area for smaller kids.

We could not book a 6 berth cabin so the six of us squeezed into a small four berth, it was not ideal but worked out.

There was also a spa.

The Horizon on the way back was a smaller ship, but the six berth cabin we got was huge, it could have been an eight berth and still had more room than the four berth on the Vision.

There was one carvery type restaurant and we found it decent value.

There was also a cinema.

Overall it had much less "bells and whistles" than the Vision but was still a very pleasant and adequate ship.

The staff on both ships were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am currently lying on a sunbed in that pool complex as I type this!

Great site, and quality of everything is excellent. Feels fresh and new.

The pool complex in particular is very impressive, plus not too far from a reasonable beach.

Very French, with few Irish/English around the place, although that may be different earlier in the season. Kids Clubs, mini discos, shows etc entirely through French with no translation which I guess would put some people off.

Let me know if any particular queries.

This thread never fails to deliver 😍

What are the pitches like? They look quite cramped compared to other sites.

Is there a games room on the site?

What's the shop on site like? The one in Bonne Anse Plage was the best we've experienced to date

Is it walking distance to the nearest town for a nice bakery or is it a cycle and the last question, are there many cycle ways and/or cycle paths in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭idontknowdoyou

We stayed there last year - last week June first week July there's were a lot of Irish. Pool area big and clean, very well kept, but you wouldn't swing a cat inbetween the mobiles. They are very close together.

Just to mention big spread out pool areas can be a bit of a pain if you have smaller kids who you need to stay with. I must have did the lazy river 100s of times over the 2 weeks with our youngest. We went to Bonne Anse Plage this year which has a much smaller single pool but it was great as I could sit and watch kids as they werent splitting up going to different areas, sometimes simple can be better.

Pitches are tight alright. We're quite lucky as our pitch faces onto a road and our deck overlooks it so we feel like we've plenty of space, but the one behind us is pretty close to ours and there are two more behind that. Not sure if they let you pick a pitch number when booking.

No games room, but shop is good enough. Average from my experience of sites. Decent bakery in it. Campsite restaurant is reasonable too

Not much around the site in terms of shops/restaurants, certainly not within walking distance, but probably could cycle to one.

Very good cycling paths, with a nice forested area beside the site with good walking/cycling/running trails that bring you to the beach. It appears to be part of a larger Vendee cycling network.

• Advertisement

Based on the reg plates around the site I'd say it's currently about 80% French with the remainder evenly split between Irish, English, Belgian and Dutch.

We stayed in Bonne Anse Plage this year and would rate it as being so much better than Les Brunelles (its the only place so far we've rebooked) , in terms of location Bonnes Anse Plage is much much better. There's not much around Les Brunelles. Cycle paths also not as good as those around La Palmyre.

That's very useful. We were also in Bonne Anse so good to get that perspective.

Also thanks to @Peckham for the very useful feedback. Much appreciated 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sorry, no idea. My only experience is that we drove into Les Sables d'Olonne yesterday afternoon and parking was not easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Deeman83

Saint Gilles de Croix de Ville is worth a visit, lovely seaside town with marina, nice restaurants, market, ice cream etc. Kids loved the hired self drive electric boat trips up the canal beside the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭flyer_query

Any recommendation for a camping site 1hour south of La Rochelle? Have 3 young kids who like mixing with other Irish kids (kids camps in English and at their young age they struggle to communicate with non English speakers) so a site popular with Irish would be preferred.

We were originally thinking Sequoia Parc (Sandaya) but from reviews mosquitos seem to be mentioned a lot.

Post edited by flyer_query on

I'd suggest looking around the town of La Palmyre. It's beautiful. We stayed on siblu site and can't recommend them enough. Great to deal with.

We stayed in Bonne Anse Plage (a few Irish were there when we were there) and would recommend (but kids club and entertainment mainly in french).

We passed an MS campsite La Cote Sauvage but it seemed more remote (right beside the beach but futher away from the town). Siblu also have Les Charmettes campsite in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Any opinions on Le Bois Dormant? Just got a price off Siblu for next year & it seems extremely good value for a high spec mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We stayed at La Garangeoire two years ago. We visited Le Grand Defi (twice) - super fun for all the family. Tree climbing, zip lines, paintball etc. Only 5 minutes drive from the campsite.

Advertisement