Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house in a MUD - common areas

• 13-08-2024 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

We are currently selling our house. It was built 2006. Very small estate less than 45 houses.

The roads and paths are taken in charge by the council. The lights and water services are under council charge.

the small green common areas haven’t been transferred to the management company. It’s a long process. we had difficulty finding the owner of the common areas etc. it’s also cost prohibitive.

many houses have already been bought and sold here without issue.

is this a problem our buyers could pull out over? They have raised this as a concern.

My solicitor won’t respond to my query unfortunately.

Personally I don’t see the big deal so maybe I’m missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is a big deal as the costs you mention may eventually have to be paid in part by the new owners. What have the OMC said about it? Your solicitor will need information from the OMC in relation to common areas and your membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Luckylow10

we are getting the information from the OMC about the current status but i do know the transfer process started about 4 years ago trying to track down the owner.

I do have hope that it’s not a big issue though as there have been many house sales already.

I was told the costs are to just formalise the transfer of the areas , but realistically the common areas are for the use and upkeep of the residents OMC so it’s just administrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Soc_Alt

If it's not the OMC owning the green area it's the developer. The names of the developer will be with the council. The OMC sould have a solicitor to chase this up.

You’re spot on, but the last update I had was that the OMC solicitor’s couldnt locate the developer.

I’ll have a further conversation about this with my management agents. 👍🏼

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The many sales could of been cash sales. A bank won't give out a mortgage if the OMC isn't functioning and yours doesn't look like it is.

• Advertisement

Many of the house sales were mortgaged.

I think the OMC is functioning very well, other than the uncertainty of the transfer of common areas which I will ascertain further clarity soon.

From further research this seems to be a very common issue with MUDS across the country, lot of developers when AWOL after the property bubble burst in 2008/2009

Ive stopped worrying about this now, we shall see what happens.

Advertisement