Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Olympics boxers Paris 2024

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well it would be an unfortunate precedent to set. That's not a judgment on the rival factions/organisations, just on the principle that you would have one body (the IOC) effectively dictating what other sporting bodies can and cannot have in terms of their governance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's exactly what is going to happen.

Last year the IABA had a chance to vote in favour of joining World Boxing but failed to get the 75% of votes needed by just 5 votes.

There'll be a bit more at stake when they call the next EMG and have another vote as it will deffo mean no more Olympics for IABA boxers and the door will be open then for a new organisation to be formed that will be recognised by the Olympic Council.

Every athlete dreams of representing their country at the Olympics, for the sake of the future of the sport in Ireland it's time for the IABA to see the light and break away from the Russian led IBA.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps a topic for it's own thread but the more explicit threats have started

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/ofi-chief-sarah-keane-says-new-national-body-needed-if-irish-boxing-refuses-to-sever-iba-links/a1211278338.html

The principle of such behaviour is not good. There is enough politics in the sport without outsiders (for want of a better phrase) to the sport deciding they can come in and set up their own rival national body to take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A disgrace…there was a vote held last August, a democratic vote by many many people who have been members of the IABA for years. The vote was to stay aligned to IBA. These bully boy tactics here from OFI (at the behest of the IOC) is very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The OCI are the ones who receive the invite to the Olympic Games though and who officially send a team to the Games. The IABA aren't the ones invited, nor are they 'officially' involved in the Games…..boxers wear the Team Ireland outfits at all times, nothing IABA affiliated. OCI call all the shots and decide who is on their team.

• Advertisement

I know all this. I just disagree with OCI here, or whatever they are called today

Maybe by 2028 World Boxing will have loads and loads affiliated to it, but I doubt it. IBA will likely have the bulk of countries aligned. Maybe they'll just keep asking us to vote. Or, as alluded to, some breakaway Irish body…..which will be a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It wouldn't be entirely fair to say the OFI (used to be OCI, my mistake) are picking on boxing. I was reading an interview with their boss where she says they have had quite a few run ins since Pat Hickey left, with Irish federations and associations over governance issues i.e. federations sacking their CEO at a moment's notice or members infighting with each other.

The IBA / World Boxing thing is serious. It could well result in boxing being eliminated from LA if national associations insist on staying with the IBA. That would surely be a near death blow to global amateur boxing if permanent : the sport has been present at the Olympics since 1904.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It will result in boxing being eliminated from the 2028 Olympics if national associations continue to support the Russian controlled IBA. That would be calamitous for the sport here in Ireland.

I think myself there will be another vote within the IABA and there will be more of a turnout the next time and there will be a landslide victory in favour of amending the constitution.

It wasn't very far off being passed the last time, 75% is a big ask but common sense should prevail and the Olympic dream should be kept alive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement