Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Francis, you have 70k posts on this site. I’d say the beyond silly thinking your opinion is of any import would apply to you more than almost anyone else on this site.

People watch James Corden, listen to Nathan Carter, and find Mrs Browns Boys funny. Popularity isn’t any barometer of quality. Callan’s Kicks is absolutely terrible. It’s hackneyed, the writing is terrible and Callan is a very very poor mimic with no sense of comic timing. It’s lowest common denominator comedy. An insult to satire.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,587 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You need to learn what is a subjective opinion and what is an objective opinion.

You will never be able to objectively divine what people find funny and why. It's as time honoured a truism as any truism out there.

Mario Rosenstock doesn't do it for me…am I haunting threads giving my subjective opinion on him like a jilted teenage lover…no, I'm not.
    Callan doesn't do it for you but he does for many many people. Get over it, you'll be happier.

I see Oliver had to take time off for surgery for skin cancer. Wish him the very best. Great outcomes for skin cancer treatments these days.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Tow

Plenty of well wishers, but I don't think Noel is too happy.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Do you believe the lies you are typing doc? You don't wish him anything but failure since he took over from your mate Tubs. You were celebrating when numbers were down.

Disgusting as usual, from the biggest wum on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You can wish someone well with their health and not enjoy their light entertainment radio show…

Wow, have that particular poster on ignore as he follows me around from thread to thread like a beggar looking for change.
    Disgraceful thing to say. As you say, one may not be a fan of his show (I’ve absolutely no great opinion on his morning slot tbh; it’s Callans Kicks that I think is about as funny as seeing your family cat dead on the road), but wish him the very very best in his recovery from cancer.

Disgraceful post tbh. Nasty. Needs a good moral recalibration.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct Bobby, a nasty element infiltrating some threads here lately……smell of paint off some of them.

Had some disappointed Galway folks in the house this morning so had the radio on over breakfast. Great to hear Callan back after his health scare. They had an interesting piece about a young man with skin cancer. It wasn’t that bad to be honest.

Reformed character.

If anyone was listening to Callan this morning and the remark he made about H McEntee, I know if I was a minister

however I was performing if some grifter getting taxpayers money said that about me I would move heaven and earth to have the fuuhker kicked out of the number.

Lad has form here, said so himself….Kevin……maybe you need to move on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Someone would want to sit Callan down and break the news to him that he just isn’t a funny man.

Reformed character.

He was talking about the technical problems with Trumps X interview and said

'it was glitching like Helen McEntee when she was asked about immigration from the north, riots or anything really'.

Someone would want to sit you down and explain that comedy is subjective, you not finding him funny is immaterial, many do and pay for the pleasure others will pay for Mario or Mrs Brown. More power to them.

It was the way it was said really

3.18 into the show.

I’d run that lad out of the organisation if I was that or any minister.

Cheap shot.

Would you tolerate the US embassy calling to demand his head because of the way he took shots at Trump, Harris, Vance, Biden? Or when he takes shots at a host of public figures and politicians routinely, should Kevin be putting the ads in de papers?

The 'We want a national broadcaster but only if we can control what is said' days are long gone or certainly should be. A minister cannot 'run' anyone out of an organisation just because they got lampooned. If he defamed her there are avenues of redress open to her.

Francie…. please don't post idiot responses all your life.

I deliberately did not go party political in my post…. I merely outlined what I would do…. Ill say it again what I would do if someone like Callan came up with that remark.

But of course ,as expected you jumped in with the size 12s and played the whataboutery card.

Read the fokkhing post dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"If he defamed her there are avenues of redress open to her."

Sinn Fein could advise.

Anyone who has been defamed could. Like anyone else she (Helen) has a right to redress if defamed.
    Seems some, if they were a minister, want to have firing rights just because they got lampooned which is truly chilling.

Not even Helen is that thin skinned I’d imagine.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

Incorrect again, my friend, never mentioned "want to have firing rights'" said would "move heaven and earth to have the fuhhker kicked out".

That means going through the correct lines to ensure the fhukker is gotten out or stunted in every way legally possible.

Just a PERSONAL opinion.

There is also the issue of 'context' in what are Callans 'riding instructions' for this show?

I never heard Tubridy "lampoon' our politicians, does this guy have different parameters?

All those points are important Francis, best read every word before you try to get over the big 70k.

Top lad.

• Advertisement

What has what Tubridy did got to do with anything.

Radio and TV hosts around the world have the same style - lampooning current events before getting into the meat of the show - Callan is in that genre not Tubridy's saccharine one. You either need a thicker skin or to get out more.

Hmm "lampooning current events" Context, Francis.. how does this morph into lampooning individuals?

What are the parameters for the show Francis, that's most important, does it give the presenter the power to

indulge his or her personal views on taxpayer funded media?

Uhmmm could be a bit more to this than you realised Francis , but nothing new there, sez you.

How would these 'parameters' read Brendan?

From reading what you get outraged about, to satisfy you, they would need a line saying 'lampoon anyone you want but a government politician'.

Bit like PBH grilling any politician apart from Mary Lou then, Francis.

Reformed character.

Callan presents a light entertainment show not a CA one. I have zero issues with competent CA presenters grilling any politician.

Have to say, that was a fascinating well done interview about Mangan.

The man from Monaghan must be doing something right.

Oliver Callan remains the third most popular weekday show on Irish radio and 2FM has shown strong gains following recent upheavals at the station, according to the latest round of Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) figures.

The new figures represent the first six months of Callan's stewardship of the RTÉ Radio 1 9am slot since he took over from Ryan Tubridy and his morning show now has 336,000 listeners each day, which is a rise of 6,000 book on book.

Well done to the lad. Have only caught it a few times when my parents are staying. They enjoy it. He’s pretty good at the human interest stories I must say. It’s the terrible impressions that I’d find hard to listen to on a regular basis. Needs to give that up tbh.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Well done???

You obviously don't mean that bull. You predicted he would lose listeners. You predicted he wouldn't be as good as Tubs. The horrible things you've said about Callan, under your previous docs username, were not kind.

I'm delighted when the person being a wum gets proved wrong.

• Advertisement

Might be doing a good impression of being a radio presenter? Beats his other impressions in that case.

Reformed character.

Advertisement