Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

1727374757678»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

If you don't bother putting the screw that keeps it in place on, you could do as Kerbdog said but if you're putting pressure on the tip itz possible it could rotate against the component you're soldering.

I have a second handle for my KSGER T12 that has no lock in screw, and you can easily pull the tip straight out. Or I can just switch handles by unscrewing the connector that goes into the soldering station and pop the other one in.

Found another seller on AliExpress that ships the FNIRSI from Spain. It's a little more expensive but at least you're not waiting 4 weeks for it. I'll post up a link and some accessories after I'm paralysed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mine doesn't have a screw, it's a nut that goes around the tip/retainer and locks onto the handle. Grand iron though...

Its the nut I meant, was going to say screwy thing originally! 🤣

Went with this seller that ships from France, had a higher seller rating than the one that shipped from Spain:

Just went for the base model. The carrying case won me over more than the Alientek iron.

Ordered some extra tips from here, a chisel tip and a large horshoe tip:

Also ordered this silicone usb type c cable that's especially for soldering irons just incase it touches off the iron :

There's a funny stress test video of it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, I have a soldering iron with that type nut and then push on tips - that is indeed a pain in the arse awaiting on it to cool down. TS100/101 or the Pinecil is so much handier with the simple push in tips

+1 to the silicone USB-C cable, gives more ease of movement while soldering which might be slightly restricted with a normal USB-C PSU cable

Just spotted these LED light boxes for various arcade games on AliExpress.

If the photos are not processed in any way,.I think they look fabulous:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

They look very similar to the popular 3D printed light boxes. Although the one you linked has good colour gradients which is a step above they usual flat colour 3D printing. I wonder are they also using 2D printed artwork or layering the colour using Hueforge.

Hueforge is excellent by the way and well worth checking out if you have a multicolour printer.

https://makerworld.com/en/search/models?keyword=lightbox+led

Picked this up for less than 10euro for my Pinecil soldering iron, perfect - no more risk of it slipping off the desk and burning things/me. Would also suit the TS100/TS101

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Thanks for posting this dude, i was only looking at soldering stands and ordered the one you posted. I have 2 soldering stands but some of the irons don't fit securely in them, the ksger t12 tips are too long and the tip touches against the inner front of the stand, which isnt good for the tip.

I like how that your one has a cylinder which completely covers the iron down from the nut.

I was looking at this double stand too, but i prefer to use brass wool instead of sponges so opted for your one instead.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006253917679.html

@Doge let us know what the new iron is like will you, I may just grab one if it's any good...or maybe two (be super handy for having different tips to hand)

Hopefully it meets your needs, on tip and touching the stand - the one I got has an tube which the iron rests in, it most likely will be resting against that

• Advertisement

The soldering iron came today. The tracking number provided didn't work and it was delivered with Fastway - just something to be aware of with the seller. It came with a fine conical tip instead of the knife / diagonal shaped tip in the pic. EEVBLOG on YouTube advises not to use conical tips but I guess they might come in handy for really small joints.

Bottom line, despite the superior tip technology I think I will use it as a portable iron. The buttons are nice and clicky but a little fiddly using the menu sysrem. I prefer the dedicated encoder and push button on my Ksger T12 station which I can use with my other hand. The ksger has a tip profile menu where you can calibrate the temperature per tip, the fnirsi only has a global temperature calibration.

the 3 temperature presets are handy though and it's a matter of one button press to cycle thorough them. 300, 330 and 360 are the defaults. so if 3 presets are all you need them go for it. I just prefer to have one hand on the iron and one hand on the station, as that's what I'm used to.

I couldn't seem to turn it off also. Theres a stand by and sleep function which will reduce it to a temperature you can set. Only way I could turn it off completely is to unplug the usb C cable.

It does heat up faster than everything I've seen beforE, almost makes the ksger seem slow even though that's quick too! had it hooked upto a 100W USB C charger with a USB C cable which has an led digit display embedded in the connector and it did indeed use the full 100 watts on power on.

It probably won't go over 40W after that though.

It felt nice in the hand although a little chunky.

if you're short deskspace and don't change temperature often then it's worth getting, if not then go for the ksger. There's mini versions of those stations too. Hope this helps.

Would you believe the t12 tip is so long that it leans up against the duratool stand too! But at least it's metal and not some plastic composite material like on my old stand.

Great write up @Doge much appreciated.

I was also going to recommend this Jakemy JMY-02 plus electric precision screwdriver I have but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and is discontinued. Old video of the standard model:

the plus model just comes with more bits and a magnetizer / demagnetizer which is to really handy for magnetizing your bits. It has a torque setting from one to eight. You can get another model that just has a 4 torque settings too but I love the better range of selectable torque on my model, there's no detents either between the numbers, unlike the 4 torque settings in the jm-y05 . It really speeds up opening laptops and phones and I haven't stripped any screws with it.Only charged it up when I received it and the battery I'd still going despite owning it to months.

Some the of the YouTube videos are funny where they are butchering it, not setting the torque correctly, not using the correct size bits and using it to put screws in wood or try and unscrew larger screws like the ones in ATX PSUs which it's clearly not designed for!

Here the other model with 4 selectable torque settings if anyone's interested:

https://www.jakemy.com/product/jm-y05/

Post edited by Doge on

Always have the worry that an electric screwdriver, when working on smaller electronics, will just chew up screws.

Completely understandable, you can set the torque so low that it's not an issue, you just need to be careful. Manually turning the screw just to loosen it a bit at the start and then engaging the motor works wonders too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wowza, I see our Weeb Labs friend just listed a monster of a CRT, PVm 2130QM

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-pvm-2130qm-21-600-tvl-retro-gaming-crt-monitor/34534628

Stunning looking screen tbf. I'm sure the market for these screens/prices is quite small here in Ireland, but if it sells then someone's getting a cracker of a screen (and contact with a guy who'll always be able to fix it if it breaks - he's a crt savant.)

Master of the Universe

It is indeed. The Sony QM series is that perfect spot between pro broadcast monitors and consumer sets. Scart sockets in the back so no need to mess about with BNC connectors. Can hook up a pair of speakers directly to them too.

Will be interesting to see what it goes for. Already an offer of 500 which would be unheard of on adverts a few year ago for a CRT. I think there's a bit of a hidden retrogaming collecting scene after kicking off in Ireland in the last while.

Nice little 14inch Trini on adverts for 50e

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Master of the Universe

I've never seen that model before, chonky little thing - really love it.

• Advertisement

If anyone bought the Duratool D03171 solding iron stand for their Pinecil, just found a 3D print model which will aid it fitting snug

Advertisement