Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hugely increasing the population and not having a plan to maintain services in line with that is not going to work.

And what do you think the 2040 plan was about exactly? It was about just that. It wasn’t just about increasing the population.

An increase in the demand for services, considering that as you suggest, many Irish people are coming out of college or university are leaving because they don’t see themselves being able to buy a home here, etc, would indicate that there will be no increased demand on services, and that they can be maintained. They are already being maintained by attempting to attract immigrants to Ireland to work in the healthcare sector -

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f5335-up-to-1800-doctors-to-benefit-from-changes-to-immigration-rules/

The issues with UHL itself have been an ongoing issue for decades, issues that have nothing to do with an increase in the population, and certainly they have nothing to do with any suggestion that immigrants are as likely to avail of healthcare services or any other public services in Ireland, because quite frankly their participation rates are much lower than what you may wish to refer to as the indigenous population:

Conclusions

Lower use of healthcare by those born outside Ireland and the UK relative to the native Irish population may be due to different approaches to healthcare utilisation or obstacles to healthcare utilisation. The findings suggest that the utilisation of healthcare by immigrants merits continued policy attention to respond to the needs of these key groups in society and facilitate integration.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266662352100043X

UHL has it’s own issues, there was a discussion on them on here quite recently:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

How does any of this relate to your earlier claim that we could simply land planes in Georgian airports and tell people to get out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭amykl_1987

Do you actually think the government have any sort of plan in place for much improved infrastructure by 2040 when they have granted a succession of amnesty to many thousands of asylum seekers who they cannot or will not deport?

Average occupancy in Ireland is 2.6 so for Limerick that means ~40000 new homes in 15 years, in A country with a chronic housing crisis and whose Capital City does not have a rail link to the Airport.

The same government who have given a company, Brogan Capital Ventures, owned by Steelworks Investments a pile of cash to house Asylum seekers.

Steelworks investments haven't filed annual returns with CRO since 2019, have had a receiver appointed in 2020 yet our actual government are signing contracts with this lot.

But yeah, it will all be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This is precisley the problem. Immigrants in tents have expectations - and they have to be provided by government. They're not going to stay in tents for long without consequence.

Yet it is notoriously difficult to get anything done in this country. We have literally had successive FF/FG governments for the past 30 years who have point blankly refused to build houses, refused to deeply invest in other social structures like schools, hospitals and public transport. They can't even build a hospital without it costing €2500m+ and they released a report in 2005 to have the Metro to Dublin airport completed by 2018.

This level of incompetence, uselessness, gombeenism and corruption among FF/FG ain't gonna go away.

Their only solutions will be to throw the taxpayers money at immigrants and tell them to sort their own housing. Give them free medical cards, free social welfare and discriminate positively in their favour and negatively in favour of the Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Regarding the last part regarding lower use if healthcare by people born outside Ireland relative to the native Irish population, I'm not certain that necessarily holds true if people seeking asylum are examined separately from people who immigrate from wealthier nations. There are endemic diseases in many developing countries which are much less common in developed nations that are either expensive to treat (HIV would be the most prominent, which of course requires long term ongoing treatment) or can predispose to later serious illnesses such as cancers (such as tuberculosis or hep B/hep C). Added to this the added costs of interpreters for communicating with patients and the lesser likelihood that asylum seekers will be able to fund even minimum GP costs/Hospital charges that a taxpayer above a fairly low threshold would be on the hook for. To my mind asylum seekers are likely to put a greater strain on the health service than their matched Irish counterpart in age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Scar001

How can a company be awarded government contracts if they haven't filed since 2019?? Surely tax clearance etc. must be up to date??

I think they had a plan, the 2040 plan, which was published before the Ukraine situation and the exponential increase in the numbers of people seeking asylum in Europe, which has somewhat thrown that plan into disarray, and so the current Government needs to come up with a new plan, or a new strategy to promote economic growth and development and increase social mobility among the poorest and most deprived in Irish society.

I couldn’t give a tuppeny fcuk about Brogan Capital Ventures or Steelworks, but if you do, then there is the plan for the State to take ownership and management of the whole process of providing accommodation and services for asylum seekers and refugees in Ireland, so that private sector organisations are not profiting from payments made for services rendered. That too however has been an ongoing issue for decades in relation to the provision of homeless services by giving payments to hotels to accommodate people who are homeless, with ne’er a word about it from the same people who only NOW give a shìt about people who are homeless, because they want to pit those people against immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees.

I don’t imagine it will actually all be grand, I’ve already said that I don’t expect Roderic has all the answers, but between himself, Helen McEntee and Norma Foley in the Education portfolio - they’ve done incredible work. Stephen Donnelly has been unimpressive in his portfolio as Healtj Minister, but the Health portfolio has always been a poison chalice anyway ever since the days of Mary Harney’s disastrous tenure. Overcrowding within the hospital system has become a feature, not a bug:

This week’s figures from the INMO show there is “severe overcrowding” in the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Limerick, which has in excess of 51 patients either on trolleys or on extra beds on corridors.

https://archive.ph/ZHU4h

(Article from 2011, 13 years ago!)

I don’t think it’ll all be grand, but at a national level it’s definitely not nearly as bad as you’re trying to make out, nor do I think any of the immigration policies that have so far been suggested in this thread are ever likely to be considered, let alone implemented. In order for that to happen it would require any of the anti-immigrant one trick pony parties to succeed in getting into Government, and all evidence so far overwhelmingly suggests that the Irish people just don’t want anything to do with them.

Even those protesting against Government policies in relation to the provision of accommodation for asylum seekers and refugees, don’t want anything to do with them:

A spokesperson for a group called No to Dundrum House Hotel IPAS centre said: “We are here at the gates of Dundrum House Hotel, trying desperately to maintain our peaceful protest. We have now had members of outside groups join us, despite us expressly telling them to stay away.

“There are live TikToks being broadcast against our wishes. We have told them to leave. We do not want the trouble they seem intent on causing. We only care about Dundrum House Hotel.”

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/tipperary/news/tense-scenes-in-tipperary-as-first-group-of-international-protection-applicants-arrive-at-dundrum-house-hotel/a1733562700.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Steelworks Investments Limited was set up on Friday the 9th of November 2012. Their current partial address is Meath, and the company status is Normal. The company's current director has been the director of 11 other Irish companies. Steelworks Investments Limited has 2 shareholders. This Irish company shares its Eircode with at least 11 other companies.

The company address is at the Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne.

The company director, according to LinkedIn was previously a Senior Vice President (US job titles are stupid) at both Morgan Stanley and UBS.

2 property developers brought High Court proceedings against the company director in 2022 "over an alleged failure to comply with an agreement to develop lands in Portugal."

He invested in Altada, a high profile start up that went into examinership.

And the most recently filed accounts for Steelworks with the CRO are for the financial year ended 31/12/2017, with the company not having filed an annual return to the CRO in over 4 years.

All of the above found in 5 minutes on Google. Who in government / public service has signed an agreement with this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And yet the great threat of Misinformation, Disinformation, Obfuscation, and blatant Lies, lies with the "Far Right".

So we are told, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭prunudo

As you mentioned on your other post, had there been trouble they'd be running it as headline news, trying to paint everyone as far right, nazi's, fascists or whatever the slur of the moment is.

It is currently relegated way down the list on the rte news app, hidden away in the regional articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Remember lads Sinn Fein are facilitating all this along with your government there is no opposition to whats happening in Dundrum.

Oh give over, I’ve no interest in trolling or any of the rest of that nonsense. The three Ministers I mentioned, I mentioned them precisely because they have done incredible work, whereas the other Minister I mentioned - Donnelly, has not been impressive at all in spite of all the promise he showed as an independent TD. Who do you imagine would have done any better in Government? Gino Kenny, Aodhán Ó Riordan, Mattie McGrath, Michael Healy Rae, Justin Barrett?

Go ahead and throw out a few names there yourself and give us all a good laugh. The fact that I didn’t mention any other current Ministers or members of Government is because they haven’t shown themselves to be at all capable, and that includes Simon Harris who has yet to be actually tested, because currently he’s been able to sit rather pretty and hasn’t demonstrated any real signs of leadership. Micheál Martin appears to be the silent partner in the current coalition Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dh1985

Only one standout minister and that's pascal donoghue. Michael mcgrath was capable before he exited. Coveney not the worst either. The three you name checked are absolute dogshit useless. Add in Catherine Martin and you have a full house. Mcentee the worst of the lot. If the people of meath have any back bone the door she will be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

When the government can step on a small community and there is not one locally elected politician who stands up for them then it is a very sad day for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭csirl

What claim? I never mentioned Georgia.

But, now you mention it. Can you name ANY countries in the world who dont admit their own citizens if they arrive at passport control in their own country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think the only true legitimate free media is local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭prunudo

I thought I read on Tipp FM page that Mattie McGrath had been on site since last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Sorry, I thought you had made that false claim about landing a plane on a runaway and telling people to get out but you did support it.

People who are forcibly deported don't simply show up at passport control.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yup he was

The man has been absolute brilliant for Dundrum and the people of Tipp.

The man will be getting my vote all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭newhouse87

He will go close to topping the poll in tipp next election. Jackie cahill and Alan kelly in particular are having nothing to do with immigration issue. Farmers are only people voting for cahill.

Regarding the last part regarding lower use if healthcare by people born outside Ireland relative to the native Irish population, I'm not certain that necessarily holds true if people seeking asylum are examined separately from people who immigrate from wealthier nations.

Availing of healthcare services is even lower again among asylum seekers than people who immigrate from wealthier nations, and far lower than the Irish population.

There are endemic diseases in many developing countries which are much less common in developed nations that are either expensive to treat (HIV would be the most prominent, which of course requires long term ongoing treatment) or can predispose to later serious illnesses such as cancers (such as tuberculosis or hep B/hep C).

HIV is far more prevalent in the native Irish population than it is among asylum seekers, ditto for the other diseases you mention, and there are diseases among the native population which are far more costly to treat and require long term ongoing treatment. That doesn’t include malnutrition or cardiovascular disease for example.

Added to this the added costs of interpreters for communicating with patients and the lesser likelihood that asylum seekers will be able to fund even minimum GP costs/Hospital charges that a taxpayer above a fairly low threshold would be on the hook for. To my mind asylum seekers are likely to put a greater strain on the health service than their matched Irish counterpart in age.

The cost of providing interpreters would be the same regardless of immigration figures. The lack of interpreters would surely have indicated to you that it is one of the reasons why immigrants who do not speak the language experience discrimination and a lower standard of healthcare which puts them off seeking healthcare in Ireland.

You’re not even comparing like with like when you’re comparing an asylum seekers ability to afford healthcare compared to a taxpayer above a fairly low threshold - neither would be automatically entitled to a medical card, but the low threshold taxpayer will have far less difficulty applying for a medical card than the asylum seeker who isn’t familiar with the language.

I’m not sure what the age thing is about, particularly as you mentioned HIV earlier as one of the most prominent diseases among immigrants from developing regions:

Heterosexuals accounted for 34% of first-time diagnoses in 2022 and the number of first-time diagnoses among heterosexuals is 33% lower than the peak in 2018. Over two thirds of diagnoses among heterosexual females (69%) are in those born in sub-Saharan Africa while the largest proportion of diagnoses among heterosexual males were born in Ireland (50%).

https://www.hpsc.ie/news/newsarchive/2023newsarchive/title-23563-en.html

That’s probably not a can of worms you want to open given the tiny percentage of the population either native or immigrant, living with HIV. Think along the lines of illegal human trafficking for the purposes of prostitution, and you’ll get why I’d rather not touch that one with a forty-foot barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Sorry, I meant elected member of the government.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Coolcormack1979 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Micheál Martin and his opinion on sovereignty.

First Irelands sovereignty. Well he say no.

Then on Ukraine he says yes well will back their sovereignty as a country.

And.

• Advertisement
Advertisement