Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age is this boiler?

• 13-08-2024 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

any idea of the age of this boiler? And it’s efficiency?

Trying to justify financial decision to upgrade. Just not certain how inefficient this one is, compared to an A rated burner.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

Buggering hell. So the old boiler is 85.3% efficiency, a new one is 90%+. Hardly seems worth upgrading?

Can you tell what nozzle should be fitted to this model from the plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Exp271

The standard efficiency boilers can only reach 85.3% efficiency. A modern high efficiency boiler with a secondary heat exchanger will be far far more efficient than an old G3/5.

If it is a Grant it will have a yellow flame burner and the boiler will have a secondary heat exchanger. You can put your hand over the flue and not get burned whereas I've seen flues on old boilers reached over 100 degrees. A large portion of the heat goes up the flue on the old ones whereas a new one will extract a huge amount of the heat from burning your kerosene and put it into your rads/water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I had one of those in my house originally. Built in 98/99, so yours could be of similar vintage.

To add, I replaced it with a condensing boiler in 2011 and I use a tank of oil less per year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

That would be at the top of the scale and in reality will be a few points below that. That of course is dependent on being properly and regularly serviced.

That's almost 20 years old.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 declan b

burner is manufactured in2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

work it out based on the amount of oil used annually

a new grant vortex will be a hell of a lot more eff than your own boiler

and will probably give you 20% saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I’m currently pricing replacing my grant boiler, in my house since I bought it at 2002, replacing costs with condensing grant boiler is approx €3;500/€3,800 based on quotes I received . Booked in for a service for €150 in two weeks time and see if it lasts another year or so, plumber said he wouldn’t replace until,it goes , no hard sell.
    im using less oil as I replaced windows and doors recently plus solar panels so my bills are less. I know it would be more efficient to replace but I’d better get saving !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭monseiur

Can I ask - if you fit a new boiler costing say €3,800 what, in your estimation, would be the annual saving on oil ? Assuming a saving of say €380 the pay back time would be 10 years. Do some number crunching before parting with your hard earned cash😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Yes , lots to think about, previous oil fills , approx 700 litres across 10 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

And €380 is a lot of oil.
    Unless the old boiler was complete junk, I don’t think you will see that saving in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Reliability of my old boiler (a replacement part nearly every year) was enough to dump it - was 10-11 years old so not ancient but brand reliability was rated poor to what I have now - worth the extra spend on a good make and model in the long run - outside of general servicing no issues

Advertisement