Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embrace!

• 14-08-2024 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

This is probably more suited to the music forum, but I think it warrants being posted here as their fame is quite unusual.

Generally when a band is big in the UK, it generally transcends to Ireland without exception, the only outlier seems to be Embrace.

They reeled off number 1 album after another in UK, being put on FIFA, and reaching a level of fame with Nature's Law, the English FA were all over them to write Englands world cup song.

They've been endlessly plaugurised by Coldplay for years, but the most curious thing about them, is they are next to unknown in Ireland.

I actually don't think I've ever met a person who did know them. What's the deal there? From their enduring success in the UK, to being complete unknowns in Ireland is surely unusual?

Aside from that, they're one of the best bands of the last 30 years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

But they're not Waylon Jennings so wtf like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

No were far bigger. Lived in the UK for a while, they hit a level very few bands get too. Completely unknown here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

I bet they never even played international test rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smellbag Bagsmell

I wouldn't say they were plagarised by Coldplay, probably their most successful single is a song given to them by Coldplay themselves. I do like both bands but they're both quite generic & "inoffensive" sounding in my opinion, like they write music designed to soundtrack emotional scenes in Gavin & Stacey. Similar to Snow Patrol, Keane, Travis and the like. Nowt wrong with it, I often listen to Coldplay while cleaning the gaff and then listen to Cradle of Filth while dirtying it up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The only think you're right about, or that makes any sense, is that this is more suited to the Music Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I know their hits; Come back to what you know, My weakness, All you good good people.

They definitely had their own sound. Singer had a good voice. Nice melodies. Did they ever tour here? Am pretty sure they must have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I bought there first album The Good Will Out back in 1998, I was living in the US at the time and it was recommended to me by an English person.

They were supposed to play in the city I was living in but it got cancelled and never rescheduled.

I listened to the album a lot, "Now You're Nobody" was my favorite track.

When I returned to Ireland in the early 2000s I don't recall ever hearing of them in either the Irish or UK media.

Where they really that big in the UK ?

Before this thread the last time they popped into my head was when I saw The Good Will Out for sale for a couple of euros in my local Dealz.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I like embrace. Well I liked their early albums, don't know the newer stuff. Seem to have their own little Niche in touring UK and doing OK for themselves. I dont recall seeing them play here for a long long time.

Shed Seven might be similar, think they had a no1 album recently and tour quite a bit but nothing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And out of the two, you'd definitely have more fun listening to Cradle Of Filth. 😀

A quick search finds that they've played here 13 times, and another 6 times up North. I remember avoiding them at Witnness two years running. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

"They reeled off number 1 album after another in the UK." - Debut album, number 1, next two albums, number 8 and 9. Coldplay wrote a song for them (maybe Coldplay plagiarised and gave it back to them?) and that album was number one also, they'd one more number one in 2006 but have had no more number one albums since then (and never any number 1 singles).

They were joined on Fifa by such titan as The Rakes and Nine Black Alps, with their World Cup song performing as well as Ant & Dec's "We're on the Ball".

Probably not known here because mid English "indie" bands are ten a penny.

Hardly The Beatles like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Advertisement