Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

UK journalist Ian Dunt posted this on X last week which sums up Musk:

"Elon Musk: No-one has ever spent so much money making sure everyone knows they're a total c**t."

I love that this was posted on Musk's own platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Presumably he hasn't been formally diagnosed? Even though he controls most of his companies, I assume he'd get the boot if it was ever shown

I'm sure he thinks he's a manic depressive, and certainly he could be based on some of his actions

But, he's still a gobshite. If you cured the depression then he'd be a mentally balanced gobshite instead

I guess what I'm saying is that his issues, real or imagined, don't explain his behaviour. I believe he's lucid enough to know and understand the consequences of his actions and still believes it's a good idea

I do agree he isn't fit to run his various companies anymore. Partly I think he sees himself losing relevance and his last few stunts are some way to put himself back in the limelight

EDIT: Slight clarification regarding consequences, I suppose I should say Elon thinks he knows what the consequences of his actions are and thinks he's smart enough to have thought of everything

Obviously reality has on occasion played out slightly differently to what he likely intended.

One recent example I can think of was him tweeting about how great carbon taxes are to his new right wing buddies

I assume in his mind they would accept his rational argument and immediately start calling for them to be implemented

Needless to say it didn't quite go that way 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hot off the heels of Trump's "interview" with Musk where he basically outlined that his aims and goals align pretty perfectly with Project 2025.... STOP SAYING I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PROJECT 2025 OR IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beat me by a minute, this is how I expect Trump to feel in September. I obviously thought of it first, it was me I thought it the biggest, I posted before you. In fact, I am the postiest poster. I am the poster who said it first, ask anyone, they'll tell you, I posted before anyone else. Not like Lyin' Loafing Oaf. I don't like that Lyin' Loafing. It's really sad, it's very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They could have come out and said nobody involved in the drafting or endorsing of Project 2025 will have any role in the campaign or prospective administration… instead it is just more weasel words.

And sure you couldn't trust them to go back on that. The risk is too great.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All the purveyors of it will do if Trump won the election is rename it "Trump '25" and Trump will push it forward like it's the greatest thing to have ever existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Project 2025 is obviously sinking their campaign, so it's time to double down and make them squeal even louder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lets deal the race card:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

People do not stay in cities long term for many reasons - cost is only one of many. It also isnt a blue state phenomenon, it is the case for the majority, if not all, western countries.

Your anecdotes are great, one of my own is that it costs me $2.90 in NYC to commute one way to work each way - I would suspect the expense for those commuting in WV is far, far higher given their lack of public transport and reliance on cars. Everywhere has different costs - pros and cons.

The difference when it comes to poverty is that in blue states there are far more and stronger safety nets for those who find themselves in poverty, to help them immediately and to assist them to get out of poverty.

The majority of the red states do not provide similar levels of support, at times even refusing additional federal assistance that would cost them nothing.

The support residence in red states tends to be significantly funded by blue states. Red states for the most part are the welfare queens they consistently complain about. How they are ever seen as more fiscally responsible is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

surely its a bit over the top how much damage trump can do if elected? the sky didnt fall in the last time did it? harris surely cant win it after being non existant te last few years as vice president. would it not be a massive election shock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's on the nose and maximum fear, but it would also tie into what people have been saying Trump ought to be doing if he wants to stay competitive in the race which is to hammer the message about the border and the economy. The above would probably work for him if he posted it on Musk's Twitter. Trump being Trump, he just cannot do that, choosing instead to bitch and moan about stuff that is at best tangential to his campaign. People like Stephen Miller must privately be tearing out the little bit of hair which remains.

Last time round there were still people like Pence who stood by the Constitution and their proper role. Note how few of Trumps former senior officials want anything to do with him. Pence signed off the legit election results despite threats from Trump and his mob.

Last time round Trump wasnt going about claiming presidential immunity for rape and trying to steal an election.

Next time round Trump will have stooges yesmen and placemen for the MAGA agenda. No more people like Pence. He will weapinise the IRS and Justice dept without regard for evidence or due process.

Surely a not unpopular Democrat like Harris can win against Trump? A Trump who offers nothing except unhinged rants and hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

surely its a bit over the top how much damage trump can do if elected? the sky didnt fall in the last time did it?

There's a reasonable argument there

harris surely cant win it…would it not be a massive election shock?

There, not so much…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would harris be any use as a president bar ticking the obvious boxs for the left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's a tired talking point that Harris is the 'left' candidate. I'd say she has elements to appeal to the left, centre and right who are tired of Trump. Those three groups could be grouped as 'left' the MAGA definition, but I don't take the MAGA definition seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In 2016 he was surprised, disorganised, had an internal damage limitation team working against his worst impulses, floundered around, especially with Covid, vaguely tried to enact policy, even the insurrection was a bumbling ad-hoc mess.

This time is different, he won't make those same mistakes again, on the contrary he is entirely focused on using office for revenge and retribution. Believes he has full immunity from the courts. Anything is on the table.

Harris is currently ahead according to the aggregate of polls and bookies, but the battleground states are what counts and of course anything could happen in the next 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,171 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭advisemerite

Tim Walz is facing fresh criticism for praising Asad Zaman back in 2018 after Zaman celebrated a terrorist attack. This won't sit well with Americans. Harris has come out and said that is the only time Walz has been seen in Public with Asad Zaman. Despite Walz appearing in Public at least twice with Azad Zaman.

Apparently, K. Harris has a nearly 3 point lead on Trump, which I wouldn't believe for a second. The article also states that seven battle ground states are more volatile for Harris. That is where I believe the Election will be lost for her. Don't believe the polls they had Hillary winning back in 2016 and we all know how that went for the former first lady.

Edited for not quoting.

• Advertisement

Wait until Harris has a sit down interview or a debate. Although the debate has been agreed to. She is very reluctant as of August 12 to do a sit down interview. Tim Walz is like a gift to the Trump campaign. He will help Kamala lose her Presidential bid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

like the boxes “competent” and “sane”?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is that worse or better than Trump siding with Putin over the US security services?

Is it better or worse than Trump saying he intends to turn the US into a dictatorship?

He said himself that VP are irrelevant, so not sure why you think Walz is a problem

I wouldn't 'believe' the polls are either as they are 1) a sample, 2)a point in time, and 3) have a margin of error.

But what is clear is the momentum. The polls, all the polls, are moving in Harris direction.

Based on the current trend and situation Harris will win this election. Trump has a few cards to play, most involve him stopping being himself and letting the grown ups make the decisions, but almost every card comes with massive risks.

He can try to talk policy, but as POTUS he failed to deliver anything other than a massive tax cut for the rich.

He can't talk about jobs as he just congratulationed Musk on axing people just for wanting to strike.

He can try to talk tough guy US protector, but his arse licking of Putin is a major issue. He failed badly with the Covid crisis which doesn't bode well for any future crisis.

In almost every area that Trump can look to attack his own performance paints a really poor picture of him. That's why the attack line on Bidens age worked so well. It didn't require any thought from his side and he couldn't ever lose.

That is all changed now. Hence the flailing around and hiding in Mar-a-lago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is considered to be a mental illness - and the hardest one to treat because of the levels of denial.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump celebrated that he'd the tallest building in Manhatten when the twin towers fell on 9/11, how does that sit with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Field east

if Biden stayed in the race the Demos would be handing the presidency to Trump. I do not think that I have to explain why. Now if KH wins the position it will not be because of her capabilities, etc, etc, IT WILL be because of Trumps behaviour/carryon /etc/etc. in other words he will be handing it to her on a plate. IMO , dhe say to do little or nothing to win it while avoiding any ‘banana slips’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

While I think Trump has every chance of winning I think there are a few important caveats when looking to back to 2016 for guidance.

Hillary never had the kind of crowds and support that Harris has now (maybe I’m wrong) and the latter has none of the political baggage that Hilary was weighed down with.

More importantly there’s definitely a kind of fatigue now both with Trump due to his age and with the public. He’s older and slower and the public are just more weary of the same old lines. There was a subversive element to Trump in 2016. Many saw him as a maverick, an outsider in 2016. 8 years later the party has become defined by him.

He could very likely win in November but not for all the reasons he did in 2016.

• Advertisement

Who is K. Harris?

Bizarre.

Why cant you bring yourself to use the actual name?

You dont use T. Walz or D. Trump.

Whst conspiracy theory dog whistle is this?

This is the best dirt you have to sling?

There is no substance to any of this

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/13/politics/asad-zaman-tim-walz-hamas/index.html

You want to start doing a list of all the things Trump and Vance have done that wont sit well with Americans?

Advertisement