Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston accommodation and roadtrip

• 08-08-2024 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭

Travelling to Boston in September. Looking for recommendations for airbnb accommodation for two people near city centre or easy commute. Plan is to stay 3 to 4 days in Boston or possibly in location neaby with good public transport before hiring a car and travelling on to Niagra Falls or even towards Montreal and on to Toronto. Any tips appreciated!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I been to Boston twice. Nice place. The second time I was there I used it as a base to see New England. I went to Providence, Rhode Island, Portland, Maine, Concord, New Hampshire, Burlington, Vermont and Hartford, Connecticut. Was able to do it all on public transport. Used the likes of Bolt Bus and Megabus. Tickets were very cheap.

If you're going to Canada go see Montreal or Quebec City. I thought they were more interesting than Toronto.

Not sure if the leaves will have started to turn in September when you're there but New England in the Autumn is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Baoithin66

Any tips on accommodation/ Did you stay in Boston or nearby??

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Stayed on Clarendon Street in the Back Bay area he first time. Very near Newbury Street and had goof public transport links. Have also stayed in the Cambridge and Brookline areas at friend's places. Both had good transport links and no trouble getting around. I have no experience with Airbnb in Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP

For excursions definitely go to Montreal or Quebec City over Toronto.

En route you could take a detour along The Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire, really beautiful drive.

I was in Niagara falls about 25 years ago and even though the falls are spectacular and we'll worth a visit the town of Niagara itself I found very "dated".

It seemed to be stuck in the 50s or 60s, a time when it was very popular, a place people went to on holidays before cheap flights to Florida or out west.

I believe the Canadian side is more modern.

Try a day trip to Newport RI also, it's about an hour from Boston, lovely town.

As for accommodation places like Cambridge, Charlestown, Back Bay, Alston, Brighton, North End, South End, South Boston fairly well covered with subway and/or bus and are not too far from the city.

Further out but still on subway/tram lines Quincy, Braintree and Brookline might work

Avoid Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Chelsea and Riveere.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Baoithin66

• Advertisement
Advertisement