Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight using protein shakes?

• 14-08-2024 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi,

Long story short, I'm gone seriously overweight the past few years and need some advice on getting rid of 6-8 Stone.

Doctor had me on the Ozempic but it didn't help for anything other than my sugar levels and making me sick/going toilet at an instance so i've had to come off it.

I'm hoping i can go through this without the need for any of that. I've found losing weight very hard and was looking at trying the diet/weight loss protein supplement's with weights. I've recently bought a home gym too so I've been starting to use that.

Does anyone have any help on what's the best protein to be trying for this as I've never tried any before?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd suggest eating well and stopping eating crap would make a near instant change in your weight.

I gave up my habit of drinking coke and eating crisps and sweets and 1.5 stone fell off in a couple of months without ever starving myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As above, diet is the main thing. Cut out sugars as much as you can, along with heavily processed crisps and the like. Eat lots of lean meat like good quality beef, chicken or fish (fresh, not frozen burgers / fish fingers etc). Lots of green vegetables, you can essentially eat as much green veg as you want. In terms of exercise, no point in launching straight into gym work so start walking a couple of KM a day and build from there. Once you shift the first couple of stone, start more strength based work, things like air squats, planking, lunges and step ups. As you get more flexible / stronger then introduce weights into your routine. The first few weeks will be the hardest but well done on accepting that you can't continue this way.💪

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭paddyirish23

Thanks, Yes I know I've to do better there, I'm more struggling with suppressing the appetite since I've come off the ozempic and was hoping one of these protein supplements could help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Protein is just another food source, it is not a magic weight loss drink.

6 - 8 stone is a significant amount of weight to lose but the same principles apply no matter how much you need to lose. Move more, eat less. It really is that simple.

Specifically, you need to work out what your daily calorie requirements are. Work that out here, next use a food tracker such as myfitnesspall and weigh/record everything that passes your lips. Aim to be 500 calories below your maintenance requirements. A daily deficit of 500 calories will result in about 1lb of weight loss per week.

Add exercise to make reaching the 500 calorie deficit easier. Lifting weight is important so that you hold onto the muscle you have, look for a begineers program online and aim to do this 3 days a week. Cardio is less important but hitting 10k steps a day is a great way to supplement the above.

Finally, your diet will need to be tweeked as you start to lose weight and thats where your macros come in (% of protein, carbs and fats) but you can to that later. Do the above for 3 months and you will be at least a stone lighter. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This is all really excellent advice. And just to reiterate to the original poster, it is critical that you track your calorie intake religiously for any of this to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Protein shakes are easy to prep and a good fuel up after a workout, relatively low calorie to practically anything else you might grab. So yeah get yourself some, just regular whey protein, flavour of choice.

You don't need it, it's just protein if you're not working out a lot you don't need it, you could also eat other protein instead like eggs. But they are handy, a very easy habit to build with your exercise and a sort of reward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I've been there but have now maintained my correct weight for a number of years.

It is not easy and you have to alter your whole attitude to food. Here are a few strategies that continue to work for me.

Drink at least 2 litres of water, black tea, coffee, every day. No sugar or sweeteners. If you don't like tap water boil a kettle and cool. Keep in fridge and add lemon, mint, cucumber, whatever. Keep a supply. You can of course use a filter or buy water.

I keep a flask by my bed so I can have a long drink first thing and at least 30 mins before breakfast. It is a good idea if you can have a long drink about 30 mins before any meal. It helps you feel full.

Calculate what you are spending on eating now. All food, junk, sweets, takeaways etc. Use this budget to buy good quality vegetables, fruit and fish and meat. We balk at the cost of vegetables and fruit but think nothing of chocolate and other junk food.

Cut out sweets, flavoured drinks, biscuits, cakes chocolate, take aways. Beware of things like yoghurts and coleslaw or other "healthy" foods. The sugar and fat content would surprise you.

Processed food is addictive. Try to cook from scratch, nothing fancy. I make lots of soups, heavy on the veg and keep in portions in the freezer.

Treat eating as an occasion. Eat at the table, do a proper place setting. If alone concentrate on the meal, no phones or screens, books or other distractions. Use smaller plates and smaller portions. Use a dessert fork so each bite is smaller. Savour each mouthful and be conscious of the flavour and texture. Slow down. Put down your cutlery and pause. If in company chat and enjoy the company but put the cutlery down while talking so there is no mindless eating.

When eating out ask for sauces or dressings to be served on the side. Don't make an issue of it and don't become obsessive. Choose as wisely as you can from the menu and ask for a jug of water for the table. Beware some salads as the dressings can be very oily and full of calories. An odd glass of wine or beer isn't going to be a problem.

Try to keep your house free of junk food. Not easy unless you live alone. Keep a supply of healthy snacks in small portions for those hunger pangs. Eating a whole bag of nuts is as bad as chocolate, calorie wise, so keep portion sized packets at hand. Drink a glass of water or coffee when you feel tempted. Try not to eat late in the evening. Ideally your last meal should be no later than 8pm. We were healthier when we had dinner in the middle of the day and a lighter meal in the evening. But those days are gone.

Walk every day. Even ten minutes. It raises your mood and fresh air is great. Get good rain gear and go out even in the rain. The home gym is a great idea but you also need outdoor activity.

Soon it becomes a habit to eat properly but it is so easy to go back to your bad habits. That's why you need to establish habits which are sustainable for the rest of your life. You will give into temptation sometimes, forgive yourself, forget it and move on. "I'll start again on Monday so it doesn't matter for the weekend" just won't work. Get back to proper eating immediately.

Once you achieve your desired weight it is a struggle to keep to the plan. I got rid of every garment which was now too big. A few days of careless eating and I feel the waistband tighten. When you have nothing bigger to wear you quickly revert to healthy eating.

The good news. I am very healthy and fit. I'm not taking any medicines such as for blood pressure or statins. I love food but eat excellent quality tasty food and relish every meal. My skin and hair are great. I don't think about food all day and wonder what I'll eat next as soon as I've finished a meal or snack. I treat myself to other luxuries or experiences. I never refuse an invitation because I have nothing to wear or because I don't want to be photographed. Oh, and my car is spotless, no sweet wrappings, crisps, smelly takeaways, cans or bottles!!

It is a long road, rejoice in reaching weekly realistic goals and you will enjoy the result.

Advertisement