Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotten Tomatoes' Rating for Superhero films !!!!

• 13-08-2024 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Rotten Tomatoes etc can give strange ratings …. that's for sure !! …. !!! …. no better examples than some Marvel films …. just take a look ….

All Marvel MCU Movies, Ranked by Tomatometer | Rotten Tomatoes

I agree with them on the first Iron Man …. quite simply one of the best movies of its kind …. there are some I have not seen …. but then there are Spiderman Homecoming …. Spiderman No Way Home and …. Spiderman Far From Home …. all rated v highly …. I thought they were among the worst junk I ever watched and not a patch on the original Spiderman films ….. defo not deserving of sharing company with Iron Man near the top of RTs Marvel ratings …. and def not deserving of being higher up than the IM sequels or the original Spiderman films ….

I recently watched Morbius …. had postponed it due to it being connected to modern Spiderman films ….. I noticed it has a v low rating on RT and so on …. yet I can say I really enjoyed this film …. Morbius is taut, gritty, everything that SM NWH/FFM/Homecoming is not …. I also postponed the 2 Venom films for same reason …. will give them a go next weekend …..

I would also add …. The Flash and the Shazam! films from Marvel's main rival DC as being awful …. but this is at least recognised ….. they have the exact same feel as those latterday Spiderman films yet they are recognised for being poor fare …. but Black Adam did not deserve its low rating ….. much better than its cousin Shazam! by a 1000 miles …..

Why do RT rate things the way they do ??? How do them come up with their ratings ?? …. I am beginning to believe that the poorer the rating RT give the better the film will be … when it comes to modern films anyway !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the rating is not a specific statement of quality level, it’s simply the percentage of critics that think something is worth a watch. If a movie gets a thousand 6/10’s from film critics, its result will be 100%, because they all reckoned on balance it was worth watching.

With that in mind, it’s grand as a system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, you basically have to check the top critics or ones you trust to make a proper judgement call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Kurooi

To state the obvious, those are scores are an average of critic scores, rather than those of the audience.

And critics don't represent the average person. Actually they represent a small privileged section of society. I certainly don't see the value of their opinion on action flicks, they're cheap simple entertainment, mass appeal. I'd very much care about the audience score instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very good. I always go on the audience score, not the critics score. I have a look at rotten tomatoes, metacritic and amazon, to get an idea of what the overall flavour for a movie is like. And then make a call on whether or not I watch it based on the comments and ratings. e.g. if it's Friday night, and having a few beers, and I'm reading up on a movie that has got decent scores but I see comments like "slow-burner" or "slow-moving". I'll give it a miss for my Friday night easy going watching, but note it to watch at a different time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Yeah I think critics have some value in analyzing more complex art. I took more pleasure out of watching Wes Anderson movies having a critic analyze and bring to attention the camera angles and colour palettes. They have a time and a place.

But marvel movies? Are they spelling out to me the message behind HULK SMASH? The intricacy of generic power fantasies? The appeal of mindless violence? What a waste of time. I'd exactly much rather have a rando tell me "it's good" and I'll trust them more than any of this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Interesting what many said …. about critics …. yeah they are from a small minority …. and you bet they would've vested interests to boot …. I go for the audience score too but even those are flawed at time …. take Spiderman no way home with its 98% aujdience v 93% critics score ….. I thought it was useless …. I would actually gladly watch Batman and Robin, Superman III and Superman Quest for Peace before it and they'd not be favourites of mine by any stretch of the imagination …. there's similar scores for the other Spiderman home trilogy …. to me they represent among the worst superhero films I ever saw …. Batman and Robin plus those 2 later CR Superman films get a lot of slack …. and are more enjoyable even though bad …. plus the likes of that Shazam! film 2 are as bad as those Home films but get a lot of hate ….

Morbius was better …. much better …. than all them Home Spideman trilogy put together …. I'm sure Venom will be too ….. will know the weekend ….. almost anything would be better than them Home trilogy films …. apart from Chuck Norris films, Mrs Brown Da Movee and Fifty Shades of Grey that is …. they'd be in the next rung after that drivel though …. certainly nowhere near 90+% …..

this thread sorta just sounds like you just really hate those Spider-Man movies rather than having anything to do with Rotten Tomatoes…

Most critics aren’t approaching blockbusters from the perspective of art and message, they’ll for the most part tailor their approach to the film they’re reviewing. An artsy film gets an artsy emotive response, while a big smashy movie gets a response based on entertainment.

The good film critics are really there to ask and answer; Does this film achieve what it set out to do? Whether that’s to provoke thought and inspire, or just to keep you entertained, or wow’ed, or make you laugh for 90 minutes.

(Weird, neither of those posts quotes the people I was trying to respond to)

I dislike them …. not hate them …. hate is something I would reserve for Fifty Shades and v few others …..

• Advertisement

Another issue that bugs me about some of these films is the killing off of main characters …. Avengers: Endgame kills off Iron Man …. Marvel's best character …. This become trend …. at first prob considered edgy and unpredictable but now just cliched and actually ruins franchises …. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Iron Man, even James Bond all unnecessarily killed off …. any film that ends up doing that will fall down in my estimation …. it is prob why we are not seeing any new Star Wars …. that last one Rise of Skywalker was poor because not many main orig chars left alive !!!

Advertisement