Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

The change in red card rules around head contact is all to do with player welfare. The real question should be whether 20 minute red cards has a negative impact on player welfare. If it doesn't, then I have no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Argentina beat NZ in NZ...

A huge result....the lack of interest on boards is telling.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

We're too busy focusing on the Olympics. Rugby has taken a backseat 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

Hope to anyone that thinks England have improved dramatically after the summer will be given a reality check after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ruggaman

and Ireland losing to that team aswell England in 6N?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is that the thing with the breakdancing, skateboarding for teenage girls and 3 v 3 basketball?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And Snyman pulled put of what should have been his first ever meaningful international start 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

This pos was seig heiling at the Belfast race riot a couple of weeks ago. Full Ulster kit on him. Jaysus.

https://m.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/boxes-of-religious-pamphlets-found-in-loyalists-home-aimed-at-stirring-up-hatred/a204800212.html

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Cateym

Regarding concussion, I'm a teacher and I'd a 17 year old in front of me one Monday morning acting very oddly. On inquiry, he told me he'd had a bang to the head in a match the day before. I asked if he'd been checked out by a doctor, he hadn't and had played on despite the coach knowing. I spoke to year head who rang home. He was taken to hospital where concussion was confirmed. He told me later, he has no recollection of anything that was covered in any class for about a fortnight after. This is a rugby club in Cork.

ETA, this was in Spring 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

That is extremely poor and I’d be very upset as a parent if I heard of that happening in any club my kids were involved with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Extremely poor on the part of the coaches of the team if they indeed saw/knew the kid had taken a knock.

Nothing , absolutely nothing is worth taking any kind of risk with a players health.

I'd be making a phone call to the Munster branch about the incident, just not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Lots of changes to SA starting team to face Australia again this weekend. Not sure why both Libbok and Pollard are on the bench though.

Springbok team:

15 Aphelele Fassi, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Lukhanyo Am, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 9 Morne van den Berg, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Marco van Staden, 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Salmaan Moerat (captain), 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Jan-Hendrik Wessels

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Handre Pollard

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That really is saying to Australia that SA just don't rate them at all.

6/7 of that starting team wouldn't be within a mile of the squad if they were playing Ireland, France or NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭FtD v2

I'm a big fan of Morne van den Berg at 9. Think he could emerge as a Springbok 9 in time (even though Grant Williams has looked really good of late too).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Is Jean Kleyn available for selection and if not, is it because of the injury he had towards the end of last season, contractual obligations with Munster or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Only slightly different from the team who played Portugal last month, says it all. But never know with Australia. They did pick up 3 injuries last week though.

Could still be because of this. Not that im sure he would be picked if he was fit.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jean-kleyns-season-ending-injury-worse-than-thought/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No Contractual obligations with munster could stop him from playing or being involved with national team.

Didn't kleyn have surgery after that injury so mightnt be back from that

A tournament that is already too long, contested by too many poor teams, who get absolutely demolished by Tier1 nations, is now going to add more games and more appallingly bad teams, to give us a Round of 16 where no surprises will happen.

Rugby World Cup to expand to 24 teams for 2027

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/08/13/rugby-world-cup-to-expand-to-24-teams-for-2027/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Won't it be the same length of a tournament as it goes from 4 group games to 3. And you still need to play 7 games to win it.

This will get serious from the quarter final on. Which is there same as the current tournament with a few exceptions.

Correct you are. At least we should finally see Ireland win a knock out game of rugby at a world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Worst of all a 6 group tournament with all that "best 3rd" shte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Awful stuff. Complete lack of jeopardy in the group stages. With four of six "best 3rd placed teams" into the Round of 16, the odds of seeing a meaningful loss are more or less zero. Teams will know that every game is not a "must win" in the Group Stages which has a huge potential to really reduce the quality of games.

The other countries needed this. To improve. Now if the 6 nations and rugby championship sides could play others more to help improve them if would be great

If never seen this actually come true. Hurling is forever changing structures to help weaker teams and it just leads to pastings.

URC and 6 Nations really haven't brought Italy on all that much either. And no amount of participation has made the smaller soccer nations competitive.

Nothing I have seen suggests these hammerings increase spectator participation either.

Will there be many more hammerings? Currently the top 8 in the world hammer two teams in the group. In this new format the top two teams in their group will hammer two teams.

So your saying we used have 2 hammerings over 4 groups so 8 hammerings. Now its 2x6 so 12. Added to that a round of 16 in a sport that doesn't have 16 high quality teams so probably a few walkover knockout games too.

But the much more important part is you are bringing in a wonky, generally unpopular system just to "grow" smaller teams but I see no evidence across sport that playing the bigger teams brings you on.

As usual with these expansions I don't see it being about anything more than money.

So what do we do then? Keep things closed shop and just hope other sides improve by being outside the top sides? We need to expand the sport and to do that the rugby championship and 6 nations need to play others more

Maybe this is happening already I don't know but games development officers paid for by World Rugby in schools and academies in these nations would be way more beneficial.

Again I have never seen any evidence in any sport that tournament expansion brings teams on.

Also and this isn't just for rugby but why do pro sports "have to grow" ?

Just thinking here as a cycling fan for instance I think most people were happier when the sport was concentrated around the heartlands rather than forcing meaningless races around the world. What's wrong with just having a high quality tournament for the places that really care.

Also in the UK they haven't even managed to grow the sport outside of it's traditional base so good luck with Spain and Portugal.

I don't think this grows the sport either. I think the smaller teams need more than a tournament every 4 years.

But i also don't really see a downside. You give more players the chance to play in a world cup. The groups weren't a very big risk in the current format for bigger teams and as long as you see the round of 16 as just a replacement of an old group game then the whole thing starts at the quarter final stage, which is the same as now.

I mostly just fuking hate 6 group tournaments. Seeing as the Euros were so desperate to expand I'de rather they went straight from 16 to 32 but rugby doesn't have that option. The new Champions League and new soccer World Cup formats are widely regarded as an absolute joke too.

More and more we are seeing tidy or tight tournaments ruined with American style cross conferences and "Swiss system" leagues all in the name of expansion (money) and I'm sick of it.

Cant think of a single tournament left that is just a simple format a 50% (or close) cut per round and with roughly similar teams.

• Advertisement

Namibia have been at every World Cup since 1999 and have come last in their Group all but once (when they came 4th due not have the worst points difference). Have they improved at all in 25 years? Not an iota. The idea that teams that haven't been good enough to qualify for the World Cup to date will suddenly get noticeably better by being in a WC is fanciful at best and deluded at worst.

A team that racks up a cricket score against a minnow team is getting no benefit from that run-out. And the team that gets a cricket score put on them also gets no benefit.

The reality is that there are good and bad teams in every sport and that's just how it is.

I don't even see how this generates more money.

The extra 4 teams and the extra games they create aren't going to add any material value to the competition.

Advertisers and Broadcasters aren't exactly going to think "I'll definitely spend more money now because Hong Kong and Chile are involved".

They'd be better running two parallel tournaments of 16 each giving all teams meaningful games throughout.

That's just not true that the groups weren't a big risk in the current format.

At the last World Cup Japan (12th ranked), Scotland (5th), Italy (13th), Australia (9th) all got dumped out in the Group stage.

And Namibia aren't helped outside of the world cup anywhere near enough. They don't get enough games even against a third string Irish side or anyone else

They need a side in currie cup or at least some form of south Africans domestic competition. Same with Kenya and any other southern African sides.

Of Course there is good and bad sides in any sport but rugby all too often keeps the top table a closed shop and doesn't do anywhere near enough to widen the pool of nations ar top table

If you see the round of 16 as a replacement for a group game then the only one there that will really change is Scotland. And that was just a fluke of the draw.

In the old format they were gone after 4 games. In the new format they will be gone after 4 games. And the real tournament starts at the quarter final stage.

More game is more times that TV companies can sell advertising and stadiums can sell advertising. Also in most groups 3 of 4 qualify so it will maybe add eyeballs to the mid range nations.

It's less relevant in smaller sports like rugby but it's still the reason. That's what "growing the game" means.

I think we essentially agree with the nub of the issue which is that smaller nations aren't getting better but putting them (or teams who are worse than them) in a World Cup won't help them. If anything, they don't have to find as hard in smaller games to get into the World Cup as the bar for qualification will be lower.

If it hasn't changed in 25 years (taking Namibia as an example), its certainly not going to change in the next 25 years. A lot of these smaller countries don't have the player base, national infrastructures, local infrastructures etc. to ever compete so the concept of 'giving them games against bigger teams' won't change a thing.

But that's inherently farcical that the 'real tournament starts at the quarter-final stage' and you're pretty much acknowledging that the changes just make the group stage utterly pointless.

I'm not saying the changes make the group stage utterly pointless. Im saying the group stage is already pointless. IMO there is no real risk of the better teams not making the quarter final in the current format and hence the group games arent very important. Yes, you got great games between NZ/France and Ireland/SA, but that was for top spot which will still apply in the new format.

A team like Scotland might get knocked out by a fluke of the draw but that chance was fixed by changing when the draw is done so the seedings are more accurate.

I enjoy watching rugby but there are an awful lot of games i didn't watch in the last world cup. No one can look at the France/ NZ group at the last tournament and tell me the group stage was important.

The fact is there are only between 8 and 10 decent teams in world rugby. So making any format competitive before the quarter final is almost impossible.

• Advertisement

Your being a bit facetious by just bringing up Scotland all the time. Australia missed out last time, Argentina before that and England in 2015.

And it's not a "fluke of the draw" it's a direct result of having 20 teams as the optimal number. It creates a group of death or 2 while also not making the tournament too elite.

I bring up Scotland as they were ranked 5th. Australia were ranked 9th so shouldn't have made the quarter final based on ranking. It was a fluke of the draw. Having the 1st, 2nd and 5th ranked teams in one group was highly unusual.

5 team groups is not optimum. It gives you a group of death possibility but since one team has to sit out the last round then you have a lot of dead rubbers.

In a 4 team group every game will mean something essentially. Even in a group where 3rd wont get out of the group, then 3rd versus 4th will be for automatic qualification for the next world cup. Now in the groups 4th versus 5th means nothing essentially.

I don't like the proposed format. But I don't think it will mean a lot more hammerings, or an easier route to the quarter final for the bigger teams.

Agree - 2 parallel 16 team tournaments-

Top 8 qualify for the next Top Tier comp and the remaining 24 play off to qualify.

Top 8 from that go in to the World Cup and the other 16 go into the World "challenge cup" or whatever you want to call it.

Both tournaments held at the same time in the same country.

Lower tier countries get regular competitive games against much higher ranked countries through the qualification process and then get a "world championship" to play in that they can have multiple competitive games to aim at.

And we get two much tighter more competitive tournaments to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Some of the groups were meaningless but generally at least 1 if not 2 were very much not. Now they all will be.

I can't say I'm a fan, but I'm wiling to give it a shot to see how it looks. It does give the lower ranked teams something to aim for at least, in terms of qualification for the knock outs. But the tier 1 teams are just going to use the group stages as warm ups now.

Though it is worth noting that the tournament will actually shorten in total time as there will be no need for a "down" week for sides in the pool stages anymore so they save a week versus France.

But you're agreeing then that its more games for the sake of more games. It won't add more top clashes, it'll add more 71-3 type wins (a la New Zealand v Namibia) - what is the point of that?

And its clearly not pointless. As Breezy said, there's been a relatively big name dumped out of the Group every year. How exciting was Pool C this year with Fiji's qualification coming down to the last game. A Round of 16 would just mean that Australia would have had another change at progressing and Fiji's Group Stage win would have been irrelevant. Its ludicrous to say that it wasn't important.

I'm looking at the current group system and comparing it with the new group and round of 16 system. Australia would qualify as 3rd in the group and would probably face off against Ireland/SA/NZ or France. That sounds like an absolutely fantastic game in a knock out round. Fijis group game win wouldn't be irrelevant as it would get them seeded higher in the round of 16 and a higher chance of progression to the quarter final.

If you look at qualifying for knock out rugby then yes the new system is far easier. If you look at it as qualifying for the quarter finals then there isn't much of a difference. Except there are less dead rubbers in the group.

You will never get rid of the hammerings. The world of rugby is too imbalanced for that.

• Advertisement

Why should Australia get another crack at it? Who cares if it would be a good game. They had their chance and blew it.

That sounds like GAA levels of "participation medal" stuff.

Ranked 5th but got well beaten by Ireland and South Africa. Take the rankings with a major pinch of salt.

So the current system is Australia played 4 games and got knocked out after losing to Fiji. In the new system then Australia play 4 games and highly likely get knocked out by losing to France in the round of 16. I don't honestly see much difference.

Why should Australia get another crack at it?

The final was played between two teams who lost in their groups. Why did they get another crack at it?

I don't think we do agree.you have to start with the world cup and then build in the other 46 months of the world cup cycle to help do things that in time will see them improve.

Continuing Example of Namibia they would improve if they got more games against sides from the top tier. If they rarely play these sides in november or june/July then how can they improve at a world cup? Same with any other side outside of the 6 nations and rugby championship

These nations don't have playing base in some cases or infrastructure and the top sides don't do enough to help that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement