Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I wonder should the question be 'Do you regret not getting the vaccine". There seems to be a lot of posters who are fully vaxxed and still got Covid. As the unvaxxed are the control group as such having not had any jabs. I wonder have many of them contracted Covid (how many times) and how severe it was? Would you now get the vaccine after your Covid infection? For me unvaxxed it was 3 years ago very mild and never contracted it again to my knowledge. I believe i have sufficient antibodies from that episode so no I wont be getting the Covid jab. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's easy to have regrets when you fail to understand what coukd have happened. The Spanish Flu ( the previous pandemic in 1918/1919) killed approximately 23K people it effected mostly young adults.

The projected death rate if we let it rip was expected to be 50-90k, there was no projections firbthise with longer term effects. A vaccine was the only option to get back to large scale interaction.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What scientific medical evidence do you have to support your specific and individualized claim (“you certainly got the virus but it was just extremely mild in your case”)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Only around 5% of adults in Ireland didn't get vaccinated, and it's likely that a significant portion of them are "against vaccines", so you probably won't get a straight answer in that regard

Anecdotes aside, for the population we have the stats and figures, the survival rate for unvaccinated people who contracted Covid is relatively high (depending on age). That said, unvaccinated people are still 5 to 8 times more likely (depending on age) to be hospitalized as a result of Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One more thing - just because you survived, doesn't mean you didn't suffer mightily with Covid. Medical authorities are kind of bottom-line oriented: if you feel dreadful for weeks and incapable of much of anything, if you didn't end up in a hospital, you won't get counted. So, simply using survival as a metric (though obviously very important) is imo insufficient - hey, I didn't die! I felt like I'd been trampled by donkeys for a few weeks and took forever to get back to my old self, but at least I survived!

And the word is still out about long Covid and the other Covid side effects, they're being researched but will be a long time before we know fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

The worst thing is, COVID did turn out to be relatively mild, but the distrust that the anti-vaxxers fostered has set us up for a very different outcome when the next more serious disease comes around.

Anti-vaxxers are anti-vaxxers despite what some here are claiming they have undermined faith in vaccine programs as a whole.

Post edited by Shoog on

Yes. Very interesting to get any responses. Only the unvaccinated now can tell if the Covid infection is severe or not. For me it was very minor and once off. No long term symptoms. My neighbour is 91 unvaxxed and did not suffer from severe Covid.

• Advertisement

I would be of the opposite persuasion. I believe the bodged roll out and all the mis information/false promises and coercion of the Covid vaccine rollout has done serious damage to further vaccination programs.

As much as you try and force that narrative you are still not correct re anti vaxxers. Someone who did not take the Covid vaccine is not necessarily an anti vaxxer. Myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Note to readers: Anti vax groups will often support their argument with a reference to a neighbour, friend, or cousin to support their dubious claims. These claims are unverifiable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's your choice not to take the vaccine, but it's when you start trying to validate that it falls apart.

If an adult doesn't want to take the jab, okay, but they are simply increasing their risk of hospitalization/death due to Covid (increasing with age). That fact cannot be argued with.

The virus has disproportionately killed anti-vaxxers. People who have developed false ideological beliefs about medical treatment - which in itself is literally dangerous. Each one of those is a life which could have potentially been saved if they had just had the jab.

You are over simplifing. The vast majority of people who died from Covid were elderly with underlying conditions. Only a tiny proportion of deaths/hospitalisations were attributed to healthy younger cohorts.The vast majority of the at risk groups took the vaccine. The under 50's for example without conditions were never at risk and highly unlikely to be hospitalised or die. The only reason to take the vaccine was to prevent transmission/infection. And that turned out to be highly questionable as we now know.

The first strains of Covid 19 were not that mild. Look at the death rate in Italy at the early stages of the outbreak. In March and April 2020 they had 50k excess deaths about 1 per 1k adults and this was with a strict home quarantine from mid March on. Yes when the Omicron strain came along at Christmas 2021 it was a mild version. However at that stage virtually everyone had there first vaccine shot and many had there second.

Slava Ukrainii

I dont think anyone is disputing that bar the inject everyone cohort.

With the significant numbers in hospital and significant waves of Covid among a vaccinated population it is safe to say the vaccination program has been a failure.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0814/1464965-mpox-health-emergency/

And we are off again.

There is no point in trying to debate with people who have no understanding of hiw vaccination works. It similar when debating economic issues with people who can not add 2+2

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all of the time.

95% is a lot of people fooled!

• Advertisement

Just 12 sources on social media are responsible for the majority of anti-vaccine propaganda

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/13/996570855/disinformation-dozen-test-facebooks-twitters-ability-to-curb-vaccine-hoaxes

Turns out it's pretty easy to fool certain people. Unfortunately it's not some harmless conspiracy theory, people die because of this stuff.

No it isn't. It did what it needed to do, cut down on deaths and hospitalisations.

It is safe to say you're making claims that are without foundation, and without merit.

You're contradicting yourself from post to post. If Covid is as mild as you make out, and so many people have been infected or vaccinated already… why would it still be putting significant numbers into hospital? Strains are evolving fast, and there are more seasonal waves than eg flu. This is why it represents such a threat to public health.
    We have real world scientific study after study, cited on this thread, showing that vaccination reduces risk of severe covid, and this is an effect lasting for long periods of time, even against variants.
    Studies you don't engage with, don't challenge.

And of course, the question you're not "just asking" is - what would the numbers be without vaccination?

Indeed. 7 million have already died. And that's with the vast majority of the world's population vaccinated, vaccines that reduced deaths by up to 80% (depending on variant).

Without vaccines it would have been multiples of that 7 million.

It goes without saying that the vaccines were also needed to reduce strain on national health systems pushed to the limit during peaks in the pandemic by reducing hospitalizations. Unvaccinated people unfortunately didn't get that memo and a higher proportion of them ended up in ICU beds - at one point accounting for over three quarters of ICU patients despite only representing a low percentage of the population.

It's amazing that at this stage, and despite everything we know, we still have individuals who persist on denying this through "questioning" and "gut instinct".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ElitesTeam

A pure nonsense post. make up all the numbers you want.

Yes Covid is not as straight forward as an one size fits all. Some persons absolutely should have got the vaccine. The elderly..underlying conditions etc. The not at risk groups..well that should explain itself. I was in a not at risk group and did not get it. I am not an anti vaxxer. Vaccines are great generally. But like all drugs misuse and over use often create more problems then they solve. Medicine is not always right and constantly evolvers changes and learns. Blind faith in medicine without question is a foolish mans game.

Around 7 million people have died as a result of Covid

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/

Vaccines reduce hospitalizations (and deaths) from Covid by up to 80% (depending on age and variant)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56240220

"Based on official reported COVID-19 deaths, we estimated that vaccinations prevented 14·4 million (95% credible interval [Crl] 13·7–15·9) deaths from COVID-19 in 185 countries and territories between Dec 8, 2020, and Dec 8, 2021. This estimate rose to 19·8 million (95% Crl 19·1–20·4) deaths from COVID-19 averted when we used excess deaths as an estimate of the true extent of the pandemic, representing a global reduction of 63% in total deaths (19·8 million of 31·4 million) during the first year of COVID-19 vaccination. In COVAX Advance Market Commitment countries, we estimated that 41% of excess mortality (7·4 million [95% Crl 6·8–7·7] of 17·9 million deaths) was averted. In low-income countries, we estimated that an additional 45% (95% CrI 42–49) of deaths could have been averted had the 20% vaccination coverage target set by COVAX been met by each country, and that an additional 111% (105–118) of deaths could have been averted had the 40% target set by WHO been met by each country by the end of 2021."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00320-6/fulltext

Estimates vary, but the math isn't hard to understand. Vaccines reduce deaths from the virus by up to 80%, billions of doses were delivered, pretty much everyone caught Covid.

There's zero blind faith in medicine. You haven't remotely justified such a contention. Premise rejected as without foundation and in the context of this thread without merit.

It has been explained to you multiple times, with reference to ICU admissions, hospitalizations. It is a numbers game.

Even lower risk people could end up in ICU, end up in hospital. Covid is a highly infectious disease. That translates into numbers putting strain on hospital capacity. The low risk people pull through, but that's ICU beds taken out of operation.
    Without vaccination, those numbers are higher and the system can't cope. Entirely justified to have a public vaccination campaign in that scenario across age groups, not just the highly vulnerable.
    There's no "not at risk" groups. Everybody was at risk, the difference was greater for some than others.

And in the context of the vaccine rollout, during the critical period of opening up in summer 2021 there's abundant evidence, cited on the thread, showing reduction in risk of infection and spread in vaccinated people.
    This also justifies the rollout across age groups in 2021.

You have no real argument because you're completely failing to engage with the real world scientific data which discredits your claims. Whether your position is coming from an anti vax or covid denier agenda, I don't know, but I've seen these discredited arguments before from both sources many times. It is obvious when we see trite one liners about 'medicine' and steadfast refusal to engage with the scientific evidence and the public health arguments.

• Advertisement

» But like all drugs misuse and over use often create more problems then they solve.

We experienced a pandemic, we created a vaccine, it saved a lot of lives. The benefits greatly outweighed any negatives.

» Medicine is not always right and constantly evolvers changes and learns. Blind faith in medicine without question is a foolish mans game.

We aren't expressing blind faith in these vaccines, it's backed up by science, figures and data. Considering how quickly Covid mutates, we did a fairly decent job of it.

Unfortunately there are individuals, who for whatever personal reasons, blindly distrust science and authority. Some manifest this by casting doubt on the vaccines in any way possible. Prior to Covid it was the Measles vaccines, there was a thread here on Boards and they were using all the same tricks ("just asking questions", misreading data, disinfo and straight up lies)

Where are they now? Exactly.

Advertisement