Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 24/25

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

According to Brendan Fanning on X (Twitter), deal with Premier Sports is now done. He’s saying nothing about a potential continuing TNT element to the deal.

Now, judgement needs to be reserved pending an official announcement, but this is potentially bad news for Irish fans. If Premier cannot deliver on their eight live URC games each week (it is rare we see all eight live, usually at least one or two will be taped delayed overnight or next day), how will they deliver all 12 EPCR Champions Cup fixtures.

Just looking at week one - at Sat 3:15pm there are two fixtures. Northampton v Castres and Stormers v Toulon. At least one of these won’t get an ROI live broadcast with Premier as sole pay TV rights holders simply because they will be showing their 3pm FA Premier League fixture, which takes precedence over all else. (Lest you think things will be better in January, they have FA Cup 3pms too). UK Premier Sports subscribers have the Premier Player, where no doubt some games will be shown, but this isn’t available in ROI (and can’t be made available because of the Sky wholesale deal that has another year to run).

So get ready for a likely reduction in live coverage of this tournament in ROI. The provinces games (well, Leinster and Munsters anyway) should be safe, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing the kind of blanket coverage we used to going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

This from another sports buff user on Digital Spy -

''There are red button feeds for premier sport Ireland with Sky TV Ireland/Now TV Ireland.

Premier had red button live feeds for wimbledon this summer on Now TV Ireland..

RTE TV will have 1 live game per round.

I say Ulster & Connacht's games will be covered live on premier sport ireland.''

That comment is inaccurate. The bonus streams (the equivalent of red button on satellite) for Wimbledon were not available on Now TV here. All that was available was the linear Premier Sports 1 stream.

Now TV does have what until today was known as “Bonus Streams” for Sky Sports (they will be rebranded “Sky Sports+” from tomorrow) but not for either TNT or Premier. The only platform that has red button for Premier is Sky satellite and it has only ever been used, on very rare occasions, for Premier League and Wimbledon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is there much obstacles in the way to Premier Sport launching a third, or even fourth, sports channel? I know they used to have Freesports which I believe is now gone, perhaps bringing that back might be on the cards

Freesports is gone. It was renamed Viaplay Xtra and survived almost all of the Viaplay era and was only closed after the deal to sell the UK operation back to Premier was done, although the writing had been on the wall for a while. The argument though is that if Premier wanted a third linear channel they might have asked Viaplay not to press ahead with the closure of Viaplay Xtra at that point on the grounds that they had use for it and it was part of the assets they were acquiring.

Still, nothing stoping them from setting up a third channel now, if they think they’ll make money from it that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not sure if games between clubs from SA and France would pull huge viewing numbers so maybe a third channel isn't needed. As long as brit and Irish games don't clash they should be fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

In addition, Premier Sports is planning to create and launch a 24/7 rugby channel at the very heart of which will sit the Investec Champions Cup and EPCR Challenge Cup.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/content/epcr-and-premier-sports-announce-headline-broadcast-partnership

A bit more.

The three-year agreement, which will run until the conclusion of the 2026/27 season, will see Premier Sports cover all 63 Investec Champions Cup matches, as well as two EPCR Challenge Cup pool matches per round, two EPCR Challenge Cup Round of 16, and all matches in the quarter-finals, semi-finals and Final.

Premier Sports is planning to create and launch a 24/7 rugby channel at the very heart of which will sit the Investec Champions Cup and EPCR Challenge Cup.

https://www.epcrugby.com/european-professional-club-rugby/content/epcr-and-premier-sports-announce-headline-broadcast-partnership?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Organic&utm_campaign=

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

“Furthermore, we have been able to work with Premier Sports to ensure new fixture times for English clubs, avoiding clashes with Premier League football to maximise viewing.

Does that basically mean that English clubs will never have European games in the 3pm→5pm slot on a Saturday?

• Advertisement

Surely it means they won't have 12:30 and 17:30 kick offs on Saturdays to avoid TV clashes. Or Sunday afternoon fixtures.

Maybe but I don't understand how they'd fit in all English games without using those slots. If they never compete with EPL in the UK then they'd be limited to 3pm Saturday and late Saturday and Sunday.

They’ll never be able to avoid clashes with the Premier League. There are FAPL games on Saturdays at 12:30pm, 3pm, 5:30pm, and Sundays at 2pm and 4:30pm and even occasional games outside those windows. Clashes are unavoidable unless it’s suggested they’ll play on Saturday or Sunday in prime time. Anyway, the fixture list is already set for this season, and was before the deal with Premier was done.

The promise of a rugby channel is a good one, and I hope they deliver it. I’m used to being disappointed by Premier when it comes to them not being able to show everything they buy rights to - look at how badly they treat the Top 14 (weren’t going to bother showing the 2023 final until they relented late in the day!). This should be a flagship property for them, second only to the FAPL and Champions League, and they should be giving it the treatment fans are used to, but I am skeptical on this. They are an Irish success story, so I don’t want to give out too much about them (back from the dead three times at this stage!) but if they are going to buy rights like this they need to be able to follow through.

I guess one thing is that given Premier won the rights we can assume they paid a fraction of what Sky / TNT would have paid in the past. I don't see where they'd get big money for a big rights package.

This competition is definitely on a bit of a downward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ca you subscribe to just Premier Sports on Sky? Or is it only packaged with TNT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I'm not sure I see it surviving much longer, the format doesn't work and only a small few teams have the squad size necessary to compete without it greatly hampering from their league as we saw last season with the Bulls effectively forfeiting a quarter final.

Having it on Premier Sports will only further take it off the radar for UK viewers.

There's probably more money and interest in it for French teams to expand the Top 14 across those 8 weekends, how long before they pull the plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think its the only problem that the competition has but the constant format changes have seriously harmed the competition.

It's only packaged with TNT but I think that agreement is ending after this season.

In the Republic of Ireland (on Sky, Now, and Virgin Media), Premier is only packaged with TNT, in what is known as “Sports Extra”, and that will be the case for at least until July next year.

The situation in the UK is different, TNT and Premier are totally separate there.

Yea I've posted about this before.

Whatever about the format, which is a bit of a confusing mess, the unfortunate reality is the gulf between the big money teams and everyone else has widened so much that about 21 of the 24 teams are there to purely make up the numbers because as you say, they don't have squads capable of it.

I think fans in general are losing interest in the competition and this would be happening whether they'd changed the format or not.

• Advertisement

The gulf in teams is not that big a deal in how interested fans are in the competition. Most of the top football leagues and cup competitions only have a handful of teams that are capable of winning it and interest remains enormous in most teams that aren't capable of winning it. Look how important 'Champions League qualification' is to teams that haven't a hope in getting out of the Group Stage when it rocks around. Qualification for the European Cup isn't that much of a driver in rugby.

The issue, at its core, is that the European Cup is not seen as the ultimate prize in European Club Rugby for most teams. From what I think I know, most French and English teams aren't that bothered with the competition because the domestic league is the priority.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not sure it has ever recovered from losing the Sky Hype Train. They properly built up the games and pushed them in their broadcasting of other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭RAKM

Is there a FTA deal for the UK similar to last season? Havent RTE already announced their fixtures?

Doesn’t appear so. S4C still have rights but there are no Welsh teams in the tournament this season, so they’ll be showing the Challenge Cup instead.

There’s some suggestion that RTE only has a one year extension on their contract, but I’ve not seen any official announcement of even that. Only the fact that they are listed in the fixture list on the EPCR website serves to tell us RTE will be broadcasting the tournament this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭OldRio

From an Irish perspective a Now TV sports extra subscription is the way to go. Deals can be got for 10 or 12 or 15 euro a month throughout the year. (Check bargain alert board)

Moving forward it will be interesting to see what happens to the EPL TV rights in the future. Could we be a bit nearer a full Rugby Channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think the format change has evaporated some of that prestige that used to exist. Before the pool stages were like a mini tournament and qualifying from your group was an achievement in itself for a team that had no realistic chance of winning it all. It meant something to top a group with Clermont or win the back to back with Saracens on bonus points. Even if it all would inevitably fall apart against the Toulon galacticos in the quarter final it was still an enjoyable journey for fans with some sense of satisfication.

There was always a gulf but at least there was something meaningful for most teams to strive for. Now the groups are greatly imbalanced with the luck of home/away draws and massive travel differences between hemispheres, it's not a fair contest and it's also very easy to finish top 4 in a 6 team pool so it means little to qualify from a pool, it's almost embarrassing not to.

Toulouse / Leinster / La Rochelle might look at those rounds as a means for getting a good seed and avoiding the exertion of playing each other until the later rounds but for everyone else with no expectation of winning the competition it's all a bit pointless.

Agree with all this. It's all so unbalanced. 6 teams in a pool but you only play 4 games. You can qualify for the knockouts winning 1 game and losing 3. You can pick and choose which games you'll bother with.

Trying to get new interest in a competition where majority of games have no jeopardy and 2 out of 3 teams are guaranteed qualification to the knockouts is a nearly impossible task.

The group games do little more than organise seedings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They would be better off turning it into a straight up knockout tournament at this point, given how much they have mangled the group stages.

Pretty sure every single club and every single union would block them from doing this.

• Advertisement

That comment about wanting to avoid clashes with the Premier League may not be quite what it seemed at first glance, and it appears may not have been intended to be taken at face value, but may have been a dig aimed at the only one of the three free to air broadcasters in the UK and Ireland that did not see its rights renewed. This Times (London) article implies that EPCR apparently decided to take a bit of revenge against ITV for demoting its final to ITV4 when it clashed with the FA Cup final.

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/rugby-union/article/european-cup-premier-sports-broadcast-deal-uk-g0bk20s3g

Advertisement