Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Round Question

• 10-08-2024 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

Im going to be playing a Four-ball better ball this weekend and I'm wondering can I also enter a casual round at the same time if I finish out my own ball?

I've never entered a casual round before but as I'm playing Royal Portrush I'd like to have a record of it on my WHS for memory!

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭big_drive

Without being 100% certain I would say you can. As far as I know that's completely ok in New system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I don't think players should be allowed but I'd say you can.

In a better ball you might end up taking on shots that you mightn't take on if playing as a single in an individual comp.

ie a Par 5 your partner lays up, so you go for it in 2 then which you wouldn't have if by yourself. Same with a load of other shots if your teammate has done well etc and any pressure on you is off. What do you do if you're putting for bogey from 12 foot but your parner makes a par putt from 15 foot? Are you even allowed putt out in that instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd say, no you officially can't, but not sure there's a way to stop you doing it.

What I will say is that my understanding is that 4ball comps are now eligible for inclusion in your handicap record, but only if you play well.

Also, it's possible that they'll have the ability to log a round switched off at the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭bobster453

So you want to play a four ball and singles in the one round.

Talk about taking the mickey.

Two competitions in 1 round..the mere fact that you could actually do it and possibly be allowed to says it all about the stupidity of this system.

Let us know if you get away with it ok😁

Other 4 ball might have something to say about it i reckon..i know i would..if only because of the extra time wasted waiting for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Royal portrush won't allow any delays. Last time I played it (before COVID) they had a caddymaster on the course ensuring delays were minimised.

Take a photo of the card to have a memory.

My guess is the tee will be full. So advise not to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭paulos53

Page 46 & 47 of the Handicapping Advice document for GB&I is the closest I can find.

https://static.whsplatform.englandgolf.org/clubs/1000-1/uploads/downloads/whs/handicapping-advice.pdf

It doesn't specifically mention fourballs but does say that general play scores are not allowed during team competitions.

"Team Format Competitions

When members of a team play in the same grouping (e.g. best 2 out of 4, best 2 out of 3, best
    1, then 2 then 3 (‘waltz’)) then such scores are not acceptable for Handicapping Purposes. In
    addition, a player may not choose to submit a General Play score whilst playing in such a team
    competition. However, where members of a team do not play together and the competition
    is effectively an Individual Competition, such scores must be submitted for Handicapping
    Purposes."

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

4ball scores will affect your handicap if you score 42+ points and you contribute at least 9 of the scores on the card (which is why you are supposed to keep an accurate record of who scored on each hole).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

it’s covered for some formats in the WHS guidance doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭patsat

Thanks lads, not allowed so by the looks of it. I have never entered a casual round, not a fan of them.

But from the pace of play perspective, I doubt it would hold up play, I've yet to go to an open day so you ain't waiting on most tees so may aswel take time to putt out on each green.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enjoy the day, Ireland's best course by some margin, if you have the time and energy see if you can squeeze in the Valley course which is excellent

• Advertisement

On pace of play it definitely can affect it.

Mentioned previously, but if your partner chips in for example. If you then still say you’ll take a chip and still take a couple of putts after that it all adds up unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭patsat

The round took 5 hours and 35 minutes. Waiting on every tee box. The only difference it would have made if I picked up my own ball was I'd have a little longer the wait to tee off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

makes no difference at all, even if he took a 10…. as long as he keeps up with the group in front

Yes but if his partner chips in, there’s absolutely no consequence to his putt, so psychologically you may not be trying your hardest, so in a way your own score may not be fully legit. Just saying that hypothetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Anyone who gets a chance to play Royal Portrush and picks up their ball because their partner has holed a 10 footer for par must be mad.

I played in the tournament myself and treated the whole thing like a normal singles round. So did all my partners.

We marked our scores down on the scorecard for the 4 ball competition but other than that we were all playing our own ball and trying to shoot the best score individually we could.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dead right.

OP question answered, that's all folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement