Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Watch this Weekend

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Might see the meteor shower though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Nothing really visible to the naked eye but a four-second camera exposure is showing up nice purple and some green hues across the northern horizon right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretty good display. Short but intense bright beams.

Sutton, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pauldry

The clouds came in Sligo but before they did saw a few tinges of green and pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Unfortunately it was cloudy when I went out to look last night. Great pic Syran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Not as clear as Sryanbruen’s.. these were taken in the back garden on my phone last night -North East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Went out to see if I could get an image of the Persied flashing lights last night and the blasted aurora borealis was polluting the skies again. 🤬

I went out for the Perseids but got the aurora too in Mornington. Seen a few but didn't capture a single one on cam. The legacy from Monday's G4 geomagnetic storm (the third strongest this solar cycle to date) as solar parameters were very mediocre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Incredible shot!

I only saw about one Persied flash every 20-30mins, not as dramatic as the northern lights, and not as photogenic either:

A chance of aurora tonight. The expected CME from a X1.1 flare that occurred on Wednesday morning has arrived this afternoon bringing a spike in the interplanetary magnetic field. Solar wind is relatively slow and its orientation (the Bz) has been fluctuating between south and north. The Bz has been very negative an hour ago and again now whilst I'm typing this. If it were to sustain this way, there is the likelihood increasing of a more significant display rather than just a few sporadic bursts which is probably what's most likely tonight… especially with that solar wind speed.

Weather wise it doesn't look great. Some clear spells expected but fair amounts of cloud and there is also a 95% moon which will hinder naked eye viewing and capturing of the aurora.

• Advertisement

G3 levels were surprisingly reached but alas it all peaked too early. Sporadic bursts might even be a long shot tonight regardless of cloud or not as the IMF dived off a cliff. A weird geomagnetic storm. Haven't seen something comparable to this in my limited years watching and looking back on past events through the spaceweatherlive archive.

Advertisement