Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 danb_2010

For those of you on standard day-night tariffs with solar, what would appeal to you more:

(1) Fixed rate 20c microgen, with 25.48c day rate and 12.35 night rate vs. (2) Variable rate 24c microgen, 26.72c day rate and 12.81c night rate (and 30EUR less in standing charges)? I think the higher microgen rate might swing it for me given 7.9kWp solar size with 10kwh battery. Variable rate may also be slightly more favourable at the moment too given recent downward pressure on electricity pricing.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Depends a lot on how much you use. If your using (say) 4000kWh/year, then sure, your going to be exporting a lot during the day likely with a 10kwH battery. But if you were using 8000kWh then you'd want to be careful there with the how much your paying. Without knowing that info, (we) can't really say.

That’s a fair comment, thanks. Current annual usage is circa 6500kWh. Plan could be to charge batteries overnight (where there is minimal difference in the rate between the providers), discharge them during the day and benefit from a higher FIT rate of +4c during the day (where possible) in terms of exporting of the excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Agreed. Seems on the higher side. I got two extra 440wp panels, 10.6kwh in batteries, Eddi, whatever the marginal difference is for hybird inverter and BER for an extra 3600EUR. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭adne

Pm me details on this please. I've 18 430w panels and a 5kw hybrid inverter looking to add a 10kw battery to the system

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

I’ve had 4 quotes for the following:

10panels (jinko), dual array, 4.35kWp

Hybrid inverter (HUAWEI), no battery

Cork location

BER, etc

Quotes in have been between 6k to 7k

• Registered Users Posts: 30 omni_cube

Hey all - I've been getting a number of quotes for a terraced house, south-west roof install with battery.

Has anyone had a 3-3.5kwp system with 5k battery installed in the past year? Wondering what your costs were?

Post edited by omni_cube on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Second quote in
    7.900 kW Total Solar Power
    18 x 440 Watt Jinko Solar panels Monocrystalline
    1x Solis 5kw hybrid inverter with wifi dongle
    1 x EDDI-16A1P02H
    Customer to get own BER post Install

Total System Price €8,800.00
    SEAI €2,100.00
    Purchase Price €6,700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

Got my first two quotes hoping for people’s opinions.

South facing A2 rated house, A2W heat pump. North Dublin.

Also not sure if a battery is way to go, getting conflicting information?

1st- 8 panel by Bauer (possibly 9) @445 - 356 kwp system

5 kw hybrid inverter ( Huawei) battery ready,

Did not recommend battery.

€7600 for 8 panel system

€8000 if they can get the 9th installed, which will bring it close to 4kwp system

2nd- 10 panels ( 9 definitely) aiko @ 455- 455kwp system

5kw sigen inverter

8kw sigen battery

€11,700

Planning to get at least one more quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi,use this as guide to value for money.

http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

I was in a similar postion to you back in April, all I can say is read as much as you can and do the research, get a good few quotes and use the installers guide on here.

IMHO get the most panels with the biggest battery you can afford (inverter is capped at 5Kw now).

We started with an 8/9 panel south facing no battery set up but ended up with 16 panels, 8 south facing and 8 north facing with 2x 5Kw batteries.

So far (I know it is supposed to be summer) its done exactly what it says on the tin, turned the gas boiler off for hot water, using the immersion now standing charge only for last 2 months and the electric is €200 in credit after units used (EV rate to charge batteries at night) and a few normal rate units plus standing charge.

As a few people have said should have done it sooner.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

Thanks for detailed response.

Very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gildan

For comparison i have a quote for 16 panels Aiko, Sigen 5kw inverter and Sigen 8kw battery for €11,700. Optimisers included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Any talk of seai grant being extended to homes built after 2021?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Hi, first quote. No seai grant. How does this look? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Doubtful. No point increasing the efficiency of already A rated homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭deezell

Except that A rating can be achieved by smoke and mirrors. Many of these paper exercise A rated homes are draughty, cold on the north side and go cold very quickly. An entire estate near me are setting up a group to contest the so called A rating. I inspected one bought by family, the draughts were whistling in behind the plaster board, and, ridiculously, the wall mounted heating stat read 6 degrees below room temperature because it was recessed into the external board, which was not sealed to the outside so could never reflect the actual room temperature. Gas heating was on constantly, running up huge bills. The room wall vents were huge 6" tubes straight to the outside, in winter the icy air tore through the house. The outer walls of the top floor rear semi dormer rooms were freezing. This in a new build. I had to seal and insulate the thermostat base recesses, then dump the cheap mechanical stats with surface mounted smart ones. I packed all the vents with insulation wool, this allowed air permeability but greatly reduced the gales. There's still improvements to be made in the attic and behind dormers walls. A rated my Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've come to the end of my quote to install journey so popping in a little bit here on how it went in case it helps others decide between roof or ground.

I got two quotes from one of the listed installers on here. 13 panels east-west on the roof (€7,500), or 16 on the ground facing south (€8,780). That price is after the €2100 grant is taken off.

I initially went with the roof option, but when the lads arrived they were concerned that 13 wouldn't actually fit, and to their credit, they could have thrown them up and ran away, but they took their time and went through each option with me and had to come back a week later so lost a days work to make sure I made the right call. I changed to the ground option and am delighted with it.

The ground mount they have uses these "Solar Tubs". A great little idea. It's a big plastic basin that you fill with stone to weigh down and the panels can then clip onto them. So there is no big ugly metal frame or extra costs for foundations etc.

It makes it very easy to move them, or add more too down the line, as you have the array on the ground to simply plug extra panels into.

It's great if you have a poor roof configuration and the space in the garden. The lads landed on at 9 am and had the panels done by 12pm. The Electricians took longer alright but 1 - 1/2 days later I'm all up and running.

I still have to "pretty it up" a bit, it's just too wet and windy at the moment. I will put more stone around them and then top that stone with some nice coloured gravel, and then add a wooden border to make it a nice "feature". But here are some pictures.

The battery and inverter are in the grey shed too, so no need to give up house space.

Was battery included in that price? Where are you located. Thinking south facing ground mount myself now as I would only get 6 south facing panels and 12 west on roof. Was there much groundwork involved? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ilenmike05

Looking for and recommendations for Ballina CO. Mayo

Just got this quote

18 x Jinko 435 Solar Panels = (7.83kW)

Growatt 5kW Hybrid Inverter (Battery Ready)

Sunfixings Roof Mounted System

All fittings, components. Manuals and Installation

BER Cert Included

List Price €10,000

I am very new to all this so really would appreciate any advice

Ecoplex doing hardshell, anybody any info on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That was 15 430 w panels, a 5 KW battery, a 5kw Solis hybrid inverter, and a change-over switch (so I can run the house off the battery in a power cut as we get 5-6 a year), but no Eddi as I have Solar tubes doing the hot water.

Groundworks was minimal (may vary with your garden). We were lucky that I had a relatively flat patch of grass right behind the shed. We just rolled out Weedblocker to stop the grass growing around the panels and threw out the tubs. I dug a small 6inch trench with a spade along the kerb to hide the cables from the shed to the fuse box but otherwise that was pretty much it.

If I had a bit more time I might have gotten the stone delivered earlier and had the ground levelled a bit more. But any of the panels that were a little out I just lifted the tub and fired in some stone under it until they were lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ilenmike05

Without the grant as I am not entitled to it unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 EOBAP

I have 2 Quotes and I'm not sure which is better;

Quote 1

18 x 425w Luxor Panels , Eddi Divertor, 3kwh Battery, Chargeback Switch, Solarx 5kw inverter= €11180

Quote 2

18 x 440 Jinko Panels, Eddi Divertor, 5kwh Battery, 5kw Hybrid invertor, Change over switch + BER= 10,900 Net after Grant

Im grateful for your advice;

Not sure what you consume in a year but coupling an 8kWp system with a 3kWh battery seems useless to me, and that would put me off a company that would recommend such a thing.

It's on the high side I would think, but depends on the company's track record, I would get more quotes, as prices seem to be dropping slightly compared to the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Borax2709

I have two quotes from installers I think I'd be happy to go for.

Both basically exactly the same for cost though the hardware is Sigenergy with one and Sofar with the other.

Is there any obvious preference I should have for either of these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If your interested in home automation, Sofar is more of a known quantity for ease of connection, but ive been able to find the modbus document for the sigenergy, So thats not completely off the cards either.

18 430w jinko panels and 5kw hybrid inverter. 8300euro. Best quote by some distance from reputable crew. No grant applicable in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KingPanko

About to install, all the time the installer was pushing Huawei, now has changed his tune and thinks Sigenergy is the best thing to ever happen to the world of solar pv.

Can somebody give me the pros and cons please?

I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't find it scrolling through boards.

Note, I'm a business with 3 phase, going with 30KW of panels, going with around 30kwh of battery, consumption has spikes so a good charge and discharge rate is an advantage.

Post edited by KingPanko on

quite literally all that matters for me I think.

I don't understand enough to say that either of the batteries can charge/discharge faster than the others, nor are extensible easily in future with either "more of the 'correct' battery" and/or with non-proprietary batteries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A quick look again it seems that sigenergy use high voltage batteries, that usually really restricts the choice of batteries.

Sofar is a good inverter, been around for ages.

right- sold, I'll shut up about it now. Will not try and undo my Sofar Powerall setup. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Got a quote for

22 x Huasun 435W panels (maximizing the panels as our E/W orientation is not ideal)

5kw Solis inverter

Weco dual voltage 5.3kw/h battery

No BER included

9700 after the grant. It seems good to me but wanted to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patdots1

18 Trina panels, 5k growatt inverter, 5k growatt AXE battery, net €8,300. Fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patdots1

Was also quoted

16 astronergy panels, 5k Huawei inverter, 5k Huawei battery, full fit net €8700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 jambon0104

Recently got the sig energy system installed on my house. It's brilliant, I love the way it displays the Data. Also got the sig changeover switch aswell. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭lostdesign

Looking at installing a system, all anyone wants to sell is Sigenergy at the minute and while it looks great I am not sure it suits our setup. Or will there be a whole heap of new inverters launched in the coming months that compete with Sig!! Who knows.

So we are looking at the Sofar powerall for an attic install.

If you install 9kw of panels on a 5kw inverter will the generation be clipped on sunny days? Or if I got 10kw of battery would it send 5 to the grid, some to the house and the rest to the battery? What happens if the battery is full!

Can the Powerall handle an oversized system like this? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Is the Flogas deal good for someone who is not interested in getting in the minutae

link goes here : https://www.flogas.ie/solar-panels/solar-calculator.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Following that link it recommends a 3.2kw system for me costing 4850.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KingPanko

What are the opinions on solar pv optimisers? I will not have an issue with shading but the installer is telling me that they will increase production anyway and if there is any fault it is easy to find rather shutting down the entire string of panels. I understand that this is correct but is there a return on investment from all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

19 x Jinko Solar Co., Ltd. 440 Watt Panels
    1 x S5-EH1P5K-L (SOLIS)
    1 x DL5.0C (Dyness)
    1 x MUN05, 1 x MUN08, 1 x MUN06, 1 x BER Assessment, 1 x NC6 form
    €11,900.00 before Grant

All a con. Headline is 4kWp for €4800 but no matter what you input they propose a 3.2 kWp system for more money

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

But if it was a 4kwp system for 4800 is it ok value

About€500 too expensive at the moment, AND prices are dropping worldwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Worldwide never includes Ireland except when prices are rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭flyer_query

Did you go through with this in the end? I am waiting for site survey but haven't committed to anything.

On the first call I got the upsell from the 10 "400w Solar Panels" included in the €4,800 Flogas deal to the 10 "40w Autarco Solar Panels" for an extra 20%.

Advertisement