Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper stole photo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Used to work in the newspaper industry myself, so can tell you that as regards actually approaching them with photos, there's not much more you can do. But I can also tell you the following:

• Generally speaking, a regional paper won't pay for individual photos from what's essentially a member of the public. They'd probably give you a photo byline all right, but no payment. That's how it would operate where I worked myself.
    • National papers are unlikely to use them either. They prefer to use pics from either their own staff photographers or from an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Woodcutting

The best way is to let them know in a covering email they are copyright protected and there is a fee for each use

Also fill in the relevant fields in the image exif data. If you don't they may argue you submitted them to be used without payment. That is why I made sure they knew they were not free and got a acknowledgement to this in writing.

Have you tried the examiner.? They often have a large photo on the back page. In my experience papers won't reply and won't tell you if they use it and or use it again. You have to watch the papers

Edit: sorry quoted you twice, thought it hadn't worked first time

@Markus Antonius

Was the watermark all over the image? I wouldn't watermark. If it's at the bottom they can crop and if all over may not bother contacting you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Watermark was right on sweetspot of each image. Any newspaper I sent images to had explanations on their sites on how to submit images (i.e. adding the exif metadata) all of these instructions were followed. I guess they just get too many shots from their own photographers or submitted by readers. Really thought the partial eclipse one would get some interest as images of this were not common given the cloud cover over much of the country and general difficulty in getting a good shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's no way papers would entertain watermarked imagery with costings for the hi res, non marked images. They'll use freebies sent in, agencies or their own press photographers but they wouldn't start paying for noncommissioned work. Look at the majority of shots of murderers these days, lifted from social media profiles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So this is a photo you have already received payment for… Then the question becomes what did you sell them? The photo, the right to one use, the exclusive right of use while retaining ownership and what can you prove.

My brother in law is a well known international photographer and every time I talk to him he seems to be in a battle with some media organisation over this stuff. And even though he hires the lawyers he seems to loose a lot of the time.

They knew it was pay per use. That’s amazing re your brother in law. On what basis does he lose, he would surely know the law?

Post edited by Woodcutting on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What do you mean they knew, do you have a written document?

Knowing the law is one thing, but going through the courts and winning is another. Most of these organisations have big legal departments so their costs per case are low. He just hopes that he can either annoy them enough that they pay him or buy something else without admitting liability for the actual infraction. Otherwise he just moves on.

Advertisement