Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ryan Tubridy has 503,000 listeners on Virgin Radio UK with his audience swelling 10 per cent between his first and second quarters on air, according to the first listenership figures for his show on the Rupert Murdoch-owned station.

I don't really get the significance of these figures and can't see the full article but I'm sure some of you professional tubridologists can provide the context…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit of a BooBoo 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mountain

it means Tubs is a great fella and the step up to senior hurling has been a success

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I see Vouge is covering for Ryan again, she's even got her owm Jingle...

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/vogue-williams-could-use-some-of-livelines-callers-as-she-keeps-ryan-tubridys-seat-warm/a1024357171.html

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭nonetheless

"the total population in the RAJAR figures is always updated every Q2; and this year, it includes data from the 2021 Census, so it’s changed quite a lot. Particularly, Q2’s data says that there are now 1.3mn more adults than there were in Q1"

Everyone is "up" and our JNLR's may indicate a similar trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think it is interesting that the Irish Time ran a story about this a week after these had been released.

TBH the journalist, honestly she's the biggest palmaser in the Irish Times in relation to broadcasting and media, she rare has a bad word to say.

Presenter welcomes 10% audience climb in his second quarter on Virgin Radio UK, far surpassing his peak RTÉ listenership

far surpassing his peak RTÉ listenership, you'd hope so, he's working in a much bigger country.

And she out does herself in the article no more that what you might get from Evoke or Her or Joe.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭argentum

Well done to all the people on here who complain about him but listen every day .I'm sure that Q102 will increase their figures too

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I haven’t been keeping tabs on this story.

Has he paid back the money he owes the Irish tax payer yet, like he said he would, or was that a lie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

You just forgot to put the [SARCASM] tags between the last sentence? 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

it’s not tax payers money. That nonsense was debunked ages ago. It was advance payment for guest appearances and other work for a sponsor. Lad had paid tax on it and everything. Not his fault it was an advance. I wouldn’t hand it back either.

Think some people need to put this behind them and move on with their life. Read a book or practice Duolingo or join a men’s shed or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭yagan

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Yet for barterboy circumvented backhanders will be all that will be evoked whenever he pops his bobblehead up.

At best a less hated Bertie ahern.

https://evoke.ie/2024/08/11/news/ryan-tubridy-riots-common An Interesting quote from that article:

"Do you mind if I ask you about x, y or z?’ I’d be happy to shoot the breeze"

https://x.com/Risemelbourne/status/1653156124072476673?t=PAFRN0IGtWjQwg1fr1osgg&s=08

A perfect scenario pertaining to such a quote and a very good example of Ryan shooting the breeze 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yes, Tubridy should have stopped and conversed with those towering intellects.

But he didn't. And then posts an article stating different.

I don't think he said that he was happy to talk to abusive punters. I don't have a high opinion of Tubridy, but I don't think he should have to put up with that kind of sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You’ve said, before, that he gives you a nod when you see him. Do you think he’d stop and chat to you, if you were to “engage” him in conversation? I’d imagine he would.

Getting “accosted” by deranged conspiracy weirdos accusing you of betraying the Irish people or using adrenochrome is a different kettle of fish.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

They asked him a simple question and he walked away. Now, he has stated in his article that he would be happy to shoot the breeze. I have no problem calling him out when he disguises himself to be genuine, when in reality when he is asked a question he becomes ignorant.

Most people are polite in real life. He’s under no obligation to have to get into a debate with some tragic oddball in an old anorak who believes everything in the world is ruled by a shadowy cabal. Sort of lads who encrypt their hard drives.

Public figures are entitled to a private life. The weirdos, malcontents, mouth breathers and wasters can spew their venom and bile online. It’s where they are most comfortable anyway. But then they get angry when they get blocked for spewing their hate.

They started by asking how he felt about lying. That was ignorant, and it wasn't long escalating. There are many things to criticize Tubridy for, but ignoring those goons isn't one of them.

• Advertisement

Gives me a nod? I don't know where you got that from, probably would prefer to give me a slight punch if he could manage it.

Again, Tubridy is stating that he would happily shoot the breeze but it certainly looks like if anyone out on the street were to ask him an awkward question about Coviid etc or heavens forbid his role in the RTE payments scandal, his standard response would be to ignore them and walk away. But my point is that he should really be honest about how he would really react to such a situation but as evidence suggests, he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ok, but he’s, somewhat, aware of you.

I’ll happily shoot the breeze with anyone but, obviously, it’s not really “shooting the breeze” if some random oddballs come at you about staying within the covid guidelines or getting vaccinated.

No one is going to hang around too long with that. Didn’t Pat Kenny have a similar interaction while out walking his dog?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It doesn't matter how they started the conversation, if he has nothing to hide it should be no problem to him. He could easily waffle, that should be no problem for him.

If a lad is out for pints with his mates in Toners then he is under absolutely no obligation to pose for photos, get his round in for strangers, or listen to the helpless rantings of some oddball who thinks everyone in the public eye is fair game for their deluded opinions.

Why do you think that it doesn't matter how they started the conversation? Do you think that if he had stopped to talk to them, they would have turned into people capable of having a civilized exchange of views? For how long do you think he should have engaged with them?

Again, you have lost me as to how Tubridy maybe aware of me. He doesn't read this thread.

You can gloss over the meaning of his statement to your hearts content but in reality if Tubridy were to be confronted publicly even from a lighthearted non threatening perspective, he would run away.

Response to Brian Scan:

How do you know? From what I can see he was in a public shop equipped with CCTV. He could have answered the question and left it at that.

.…

Again, under no obligation to do so. It’s that simple. Same with politicians, sport stars, musicians. They owe you nothing.

• Advertisement

Then he really shouldn't state something of that nature.

Advertisement