Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works ongoing; 2025 start; 2028 completion]

1505152535456»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great news, thanks @marno21

Have you heard anything on the grapevine about the progress of the tender for the protected road scheme ? I seem to remember that the closing date was sometime around now.

Post edited by Hibernicis on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Time to change thread title to 2025 start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭prunudo

Little update from Coffey's

https://www.facebook.com/share/BbJQE2Ss3atUwQBr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

August update from Dronehawk :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4E-ben9rYA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Interesting that such extensive earthworks have been done in the advance works contract. Is that normal? It was clear from earlier videos that the embankment at the quarry was being done, but this latest video shows a huge embankment just south of the proposed Carr’s Hill interchange too.

I was wondering was that extent of works normal alright. I wonder is this to prevent the contractor who actually gets the tender, from going back looking for extras?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Shows again that describing this as “pre-construction” and arguing that it’s not the same as actual construction is really just academic. The scheme is to all intents and purposes under construction already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That doesn't make sense. If they just prescribed these works in the main contract, as they have done in the enabling works, it wouldn't then be an extra anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah I'd say its just getting as much work done on the "easier" pre-contracts rather than the main tender.

• Advertisement

I cannot see the logic at all so if it is case of getting a section of land ready for road construction.

What is the point in the approach can anyone please point out, if it is not to prevent unexpected costs by the company that wins the tender ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Maybe TII are just eager to get pretty much anything built in this country at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭highwaymaniac

In the case of the M28 there is a fairly significant balance of fill material required to be imported. Sourcing and hauling that volume of material takes time and I suspect the council are getting it for free if not being paid to take it as they are a lot of sites around the city hinterland with surplus material to dispose of. It has to be a significant time saving on the overall main Contract programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Does it not aid significantly in terms of program too? As in we know where is going, we know the holes to be filled and the land to be excavated, we'll get it 50% of the way there while you're finishing the details and by the time you've them finished and the tender awarded you can roll straight into taking it from 50% to 100% and add the more delicate touchs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

My sister lives in Mount Ovel and is worried about the impact of these roadworks on getting to work. Would anyone know how it will affect traffic at busy times? For example, 9.00 and 5.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Yes absolutely, that's the key point saving time whilst the tendering and funding approval process is trundling along slowly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Very early days to be making predictions, but given the extent of the works, the likely impact that construction will have on a number of key commuter routes in the area, the fact that a number of these routes are currently operating at or over capacity at the times you mention and the failure of the Council to undertake and complete the long planned improvements on Clarke Hill & Coach Hill and their junctions with the Rochestown Road in a timely manner some disruption is inevitable. Key pressure points will be invasive works such as the demolition and reconstruction of Maryborough Hill overbridge (which will impact not just Maryborough Hill but the displaced traffic will further overload other routes/junctions in the area), the online works between the N40 and Carrs Hill and work in the Shannon Park area.

As against this, good communications, good sequencing of the various closures and openings and clever temporary routing could make a huge difference, as we saw during the works in Dunkettle where traffic continued to flow through the construction site throughout. I know it wasn’t perfect, but in the overall scheme of things the DKI project team did a very good job.

Unfortunately, to date, those responsible for the M28 project over the last decade would score a 1/10 for their communication skills. We live in hope that this will improve drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Advertisement