Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

We have a ReTurn doing the same job now! With free labour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely mega, stratospherically off topic nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Just about what I was expecting.

Its no coincidence Foley hasnt been asked about it since. His interviews recently have been little more than love-ins promoting the scheme.

Now we have the notion that deposit loaded containers are still household waste and cant be placed in public bins. Maybe if multi-packs weren't included but this scheme is not just targeting "out and about" containers. Because of this people who were doing their bit pre-scheme are now once again doing their bit out looking for a working RVM. Then to be told on here you have to take it all back home with you to pay twice after trying to engage with this scheme "for a better tomorrow". Not only is it laughable its insulting. Maybe if more people rammed public bins with containers when RVMs are out of order we might see some much needed changes like bulk RVMs. Probably not though.

Sorry, I don't get the free labour bit.

All the employees get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

You clean your container, you sort it apart from your kerbside collection bins, and deliver it to a RVM!

Do you deliver your bins to the local landfill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was at a bottle bank today. Brought some of my own and some thrown away near my house by other people. The two Brown bins were both stuffed to the gills, and some people had helpfully left their bottles on the ground. I noticed an aerosol can and some paper poking out of the bins. I brought my two Brown ones home, no big deal. Whoever empties the bins could do a better job though, because I have often seen rubbish abandoned around them.

I think the bottle banks are also funded by the Polluters, so we are getting a good deal on the recycling front all round. Unless the poor Waste Companies start charging me extra because I am not giving them any cans. I never gave them cans. They also refused to take my glass bottles.

I see now what you mean.

Yes I put the stuff aside, it needs no cleaning.

Then I take it to the RVM and get my deposit back.

That's more inconvenient than putting them in the green bin.

A fact that I acknowledged months ago on this or one of the other threads when some posters were saying there was no inconvenience.

And no I don't deliver bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Explain how it is more 'convenient' to sort plastic bottles and cans and bring them to an RVM machine rather than just putting them in the green bin outside my door? That statement is laughable, its more convenient, you are on a wind up.

Do people really clean containers before putting them in the recycle bin?

Please refer to my post again.

You will see that I said the opposite to that which you infer.

To be clear my position is that using an RVM is inconvenient.

Yes apparently some people clean containers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I usually rinse them, makes green bin less messy and if transporting to RVMs don't want dribbles… especially cans.
    With cans I might stuff a piece of used kitchen towel in as a temporary cap - removing before putting into RVM.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are trying to be smart. Empty containers are waste and he put it in waste bin. End of story.

I never use my receipts as a vouchers. Few times some of them were scanned and till operator claimed it was used already. I collect them and when I have like 20 worth I go to checkout and hand them over to get back cash.

I find cans are easy enough to fully empty if you hold at the base and shake them upside down to get the last dribble out. No need for washing out or kitchen roll. We did this before Re-Turn to avoid mess when taking large bagfuls to local bottle banks.

No need to remove it aluminium foundry sort it out with no problem. I always take plastic glove to use when feeding machine it sort out inconvenience of having sticky fingers as there is always something leaky in a bag.

I do not think that our new found class of green enterpreneurs who go around all waste bins in the town every night are much bothered with washing what they find. They may wipe bar code area at the most so there is no issue when they are collecting fruits of their hard work. All in all they are contributing to meet our targets plus nobody can expect them to spend valuable water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

No losses gauranteed and bingo profits assured.Bonuses can't be far off for the quangiis,pension contributions etc

Post edited by beachhead on

• Advertisement

Deeble Beebles found the cans on the street and deposited them in the waste bin and saving the environment.Senior counsel for that it would seem

Charities will benefit from the generosity of Electric Picnic attendees.

https://re-turn.ie/return-your-plastic-bottles-and-cans-for-charity-at-this-years-electric-picnic/

This is adapting an idea from Germany. In their cases they add a returnable garbabe deposit to the festival ticket price. People can get that back if they return their garbage before they leave. Some rogue accountant would describe it as a €10 increase in the ticket price.

"All prices that include camping are subject to a €10 garbage deposit." (from one of the websites).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I wonder how many festival goers are going to read that wall of text.

Last year they just wanted to limit the rubbish. So they had roaming ambassadors. This year with money to be made I could see that being repeated and increased.

https://everycancounts.eu/drink-can-recycling-takes-centre-stage-at-electric-picnic-festival-in-ireland/

"Our 14 recycling ambassadors tirelessly roamed the campsites and collected every drink can while engaging with festival attendees. They even initiated 1,000 recycling surveys with participants, giving them a chance to win tickets to next year’s Electric Picnic Festival. To reward visitors for their recycling efforts, our team offered Electric Picnic x Every Can Counts Ireland co-branded t-shirts and keyrings. These exclusive gifts were not just souvenirs; they were made from recycled aluminium, embodying the essence of aluminium’s infinite possibilities."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

To reward visitors for their recycling efforts, our team offered Electric Picnic x Every Can Counts Ireland co-branded t-shirts and keyrings. These exclusive gifts were not just souvenirs; they were made from recycled aluminium, embodying the essence of aluminium’s infinite possibilities."

The t-shirts were made from recycled aluminium? They don't sound very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭geographica

About 880,000 pints served at the Fleadh in Wexford last week apparently, the majority by far were served in plastic cups, and I'd say all went to landlfill as there was next to no seperation of bins, but don't forget to drive your diesel car to collect your 15c tax back

The Circular Economy Act has more stuff lined up to reach the EU targets. Those plastic cups could be outlawed in future.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2022/act/26/section/14/enacted/en/html#sec14

Prohibition on sale of certain single-use items

14. (1) Subject to subsection (3), the Minister may, with the consent of the Government, make regulations prohibiting the supply in the State of any or all of the following:

(a) single-use cups;

(b) single-use containers;

(c) single-use packaging;

(d) plastic bags;

(e) such class or classes of the single-use items referred to in paragraphs (a) to (d) as he or she may prescribe for the purposes of this section.

I see messages like this from Wexford on the social medias.

https://mobile.x.com/fleadhcheoil/status/1820850110001025403

I never made a special journey to a return machine. Always as part of a shopping trip. So no extra fuel used. I know some people can't make any journeys, but it is a bit dim to do a special journey just to get 15 cents. I do have to make special trips to bottle banks, but that is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So it's ok to make a special trip to a bottle bank, even though you're not getting anything back.

But not ok to make a special trip to an RVM, even though you might be getting 15c times X back.
    Assuming it's actually working that day.

Completely illogical.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement