Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do the Traffic Lights work off sensors and when do they work off timers?

• 14-08-2024 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I'm curious to know, at what certain point during the day do the traffic lights work off the magnetic sensors and when do they just work based off a timer?

I'm certain that when driving late at night its definitely the sensor, and when during the day its definitely timed. but can't help but wonder which is activated when??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Entirely implementation dependent.

In some cases, they will be communicating to a central control server (SCATS or Scoot being the main programmes I think) to 'know' what other lights are doing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Increasingly, they seem to work on timers alone. Which causes a lot of frustration when a driver has to wait two minutes for no reason. The sensors are clearly there, but aren't activated. I gave up treating red lights as though they were sacrosanct a long time ago. If it's clear from all directions, I proceed cautiously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That is a problem though. Plenty of drivers I observe also do same.

There really should be cameras at traffic lights that can issue fines for people breaking red lights and ignoring pedestrians at crossings when the traffic light is red - not implying you do that btw, but I do see it in Dublin.

I think the difference is that a lot of people do it mindlessly. Their light goes amber-red, and they think that the delay on the other side will give them time to safely get through. The car behind them thinks the same and they're all accelerating without a shred of defensive driving going on. Look carefully, and there's sometimes almost no delay at all. There's no consistency. You end up with a situation where other (equally stupid) people blindly move off as soon as their light turns green, because they wrongly think green means "go". Then it's brakes and horn time because reprimanding other drivers is more important than driving defensively.

Mindless driving seems to be on the increase. I think modern cars encourage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fallout2022

I think the box that is marked out for bicycles to stop in - at the top of a lane- overlays sensors that were never moved when they started marking out those boxes. So late at night if a car stops literally on the stop line it will not trigger the sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭65535

We badly need left turn amber arrow lights at a LOT of junctions in cities.

Yes, As a driver that has passed an advanced driving course I too will not stay looking at a red bulb at 5 am just due to poor programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

In a lot of European countries the traffic lights are switched to flashing ambers late at night usually between 11pm and 7am. Why can't it be the same here in Ireland. In fact I've when traffic lights are out traffic flows better than when the traffic lights are on as people use common sense instead of being told what to do.

You can usually see the sensor. Park on it, drive on it, cross it, dance on it, nothing happens. The sensors are often not enabled at all. Which is why the lights behave the same way, whether it's 4am or 4pm. I've regularly driven through red lights late at night or early in the morning, and they remain unchanged in my mirror a minute later. Then you get other junctions where the sensors are working, but the tiniest gap (caused by one person accelerating too quickly) can result in the lights switching straight to red. This causes big problems for trucks and buses, which can't move off as quickly as other traffic. It's also one of the reasons why "professional drivers" jump red lights so often.

One thing I've noticed about traffic lights being out - it sort of wakes everyone up. Everyone drives more mindfully and traffic seems to find a natural flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭easyvision

junction at Blackrock is notorious for red lights and pedestrian sequence very early morning, nobody around, no pedestrians or traffic and I’ve seen it go thru full sequence. Again just encourages breaking law while proceeding cautiously

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lucan123

Tell us you are an Audi driver without telling us you are an Audi driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭markpb

There’s no way to tell if a sensor is working or not. The presence of a working sensor doesn’t mean that your light will immediately change to green. Most junctions (in Dublin, at least) operate on a combination of sensors and timers, even at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Red lights ARE sacrosanct, though. Or, they should be treated as such, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

On a timer in Cork city at 2 this morning. I was coming up by city hall and the pedestrian crossing was lit green for well over a minute despite no pedestrians. I could understand it at 2 in the afternoon, not at 2am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's a big difference between the people going through red traffic lights after they come on, some people long after, and someone at 4am who stops and checks it's safe to proceed. Yeah both are breaking the law but the punishment shouldn't be the same. It's even more fun for bikers as sometimes we can't trigger the sensors so have to either wait for a car to turn up or break the light.

To have red light cameras we should also bring in flashing amber on appropriate junctions. I was in a small city in Hungary recently and they had flashing amber on most traffic lights after 9pm but major junctions still had the traffic lights functioning.

But at the end of the day the problem on our roads is a complete lack of enforcement of our laws, not a lack of laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Baseball72

With the advent of Ai, can the traffic lights system incorporate this new technology so the lights can respond to local conditions?

That doesn't need AI, it has existed for decades already. That is what all the sensors are for.

Flashing ambers are a disaster as many drivers do not pay attention to them. You see pedestrians stood waiting at the crossing, with the green man flashing, but as the amber traffic light is also flashing, drivers just carry on.

Occasionally the inevitable happens and the pedestrian gets a wallop or a very close shave.

Would be safer if they abandoned the flashing ambers altogether, but again, without enforcement its all uncontrolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't have to tum off the pedestrian crossing when you use flashing amber for cars.

BTW where is this happening as we don't currently have flashing amber junctions at night?

Not sure what you mean by turning off the pedestrian crossing?

The green man flashes at the same time as the amber traffic light flashes. You cant press the crossing button because the green man is flashing, but as the cars just drive through on a flashing amber, the pedestrian has to wait until the green man stops flashing, so they can press the button.

Seen it in numerous crossings in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 SeSHo

So here's the thing, I am confident that most of the traffic lights I take in east Dublin (north and south) work off timers in the morning, and late at night as soon as I step on the sensor my light turns green.

I'm kind of amazed that we have no idea on when each of both those solutions actually worked. Would have been nice to know that lights work off timers until 8pm then switch to sensors for example as I can simply plan myself to go out at that exact timing if I can since it's more convenient for me…

pfff.. thought that anyone here would know, but turns out .. like me, everybody else is lost and we have no proper communication about this .. shame :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was walking home at 2am this morning, and the green traffic light was light for well over a minute despite no vehicles. I could understand it at 2 in the afternoon, not at 2am.

Each set of lights could be completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think a solution to this might be what happens in some parts of North America; after a certain hour of night, at lightly used junctions the main road lights go to flashing yellow (proceed with caution) to on the side roads, flashing red. That means stop and yield, generally the equivalent of a stop sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Are you for **** real? If I've been waiting for my light to turn green (I don't break red lights and only a narcissistic **** tool does so unless it's not for a legitimate reason like a time critical a life or death situation, for example) and it does so, of course I will have been observing my surroundings but if some idiot has decided that his/her time is more important than mine and has decided to disregard the red light, of course I will be blasting my horn and gesticulating at said driver…..or drivers! You make it out as if I would be a bad person by doing so when in fact I'm in defence mode because of the offensive driving that has delayed my progression of my drive. Red light breakers should be burned at the stake…….I'm not being literal but you get my analogy, I hope.

You seem very angry. Which isn't conducive to good driving. I think I've used the horn twice in the last year. Once was because someone was veering into my lane on the M50 without checking their blind-spot, and the other was a short tap to let the car in front know that he was slowly rolling backwards while staring down at his phone at traffic lights. The horn is a safety device. It is not there for the purpose of taking your frustration out on other drivers. Only a narcissistic tool uses the horn to tell someone they've done something wrong. It doesn't mean you're a bad person - just a bad driver. You shouldn't be burned at the stake, but it would be better for everyone if you didn't drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't get angry easily, it takes the actions of someone to say or do something ludicrously stupid to anger me……something like being called stupid for being angered by a driver not stopping for a red light, when I've been given the green light to proceed if safe to do so. The horn is not just used for giving out to other people, did you know? It can be used to alert other road users of a hazard - a car driving through a red light, for example.

I've been driving over 24 years, I've had two minor RTC's, I was 100% not at fault in both cases. I've never got any penalty points or any fines, for that matter. Well, apart from a parking ticket in Mullingar earlier this year when the warden must have mistaken my commercial car derived van for a private vehicle. The warden clearly didn't bother to look at my tax disc.

I'm courteous on the roads, with people driving in a proper manner, of course. I drive up and down the N4 to the midlands regularly and whilst I always drive as fast as I can legally drive, sometimes a car behind will want to drive faster so when I see a safe stretch of road, I'll move over slightly into the hard shoulder (this is a single carriageway N-Road, not a motorway, to be clear) to assist the driver to pass. I don't agree with the other driver breaking the Rules of the Road by speeding but I'm not the police either. Another thing that I often encounter on the N4 west of Mullingar (where it goes from dual to single carriageway) is a driver in front who is clearly using his/her phone. Sometimes you can actually see the the person using it but it's almost always combined with erratic speeds, often generally slow speeds and erratic driving in general…….a classic case of driving without due care & consideration. If I do pass, so as to proceed at the signposted speed, I will usually give a toot of the horn as I pass to let the driver know that there's a hazard passing by them, as it's clear from the driver's behaviour that the he/she is very much not aware of the surroundings. Last thing I would want is for the driver to look up from the phone, get a fright at the sight of me passing by "unexpectedly" and possibly lose control of the vehicle.

I'll use bus lanes that are not in use any time I can, although I've noticed there are more and bus lanes in Dublin going from part time to full time 24 hour, the R139 between the Malahide Road and Donaghmede roundabout being a good example. I last drove that road a month or two ago and it was the usual 07:30 - 19:00 time on it but two evenings ago when I drove it, it had become 24 hour. I believe there are some 24 hour bus services using this road now so it makes sense in that regard.

Advertisement