Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's very expensive alright.

Hopefully the move to far less expensive state owned accommodation won't be delayed by 'peaceful' protests, arson attacks and intimidation of workers.

I can fully understand why they're wearing masks.

It's because they're just a couple of fellas doing their job, and if they didn't their faces would be all over social media alongside these false accusations of 'harassing' a woman.

I have a certain sympathy for a lot of people involved with the anti-immigration stuff. I think behind all the hatred there's a lot of lonely, unwell people that need to get help. But these 'citizen journalists' invading on people while they try to live their lives, or do their jobs, disgust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No no you're all wrong, our lovely Helen says wearing of Balaclavas' and facemasks are illegal..

Unless of course you're Gardai and/or private security evicting people from their home, or feel that moving large numbers of migrants into your community without any local consultation isn't going to cause upset to the residents then yea you're ok to dress like a Commando planning an attack on an enemy country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭prunudo

ironic thing is, its only at protests she wants them to be made illegal, so they can identify the people against government policy.

I also notice a complete lack of health and safety guidelines being followed in those tweets. So like Newtown and Clonmel before, seems Thornton Hall operators don't like to follow the rules either, although I'm not surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Almost 2000 Afghans already claiming asylum and we're putting our hand up for more. Is this the most tone deaf government we've ever had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Don't want the authorities at home to know where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Woman arrested there for some reason.

I wonder if it was the woman walking around the place then encountered two masked men.

And this part.

It's actually crazy what's going on and we are defenseless against it at this stage. The EU rule our Government and our Government seem to suck up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The reasons for which asylum seekers just going about their day might not like to have their faces recorded and plastered over Twitter by people who view them with hostility and suspicion are hardly all that difficult to get one's head around. Lots of people — including me — when put in the same position would probably take issue with being recorded by people who bear them ill will, derision or suspicion. People seem to apply their imagination more creatively though when it comes to asylum seekers not wanting to have their faces recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Perhaps some might not want their faces publicist or their identity known for other rather more serious reasons - such as they are feeling from a crime ? Can you say no one is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭Jeff2

They got rid off their documents and don't want their real ID to be known maybe. Why.?

They could be claiming benefits in more than one country even in the same name or different name.

It looks like even well off lads are arriving here by the look of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭selectamatic

People beating the Irexit drum either directly or indirectly are completely missing what's going on here in my opinion.

Sure at EU level there's a want to share the burden of IPA's especially when some countries are squarely in the firing line due to their geography but no member state HAS to. Look at Denmark, Poland etc.

Hell even look at the absolute carry on of Viktor Orbán in Hungary to see a horrible yet clear example of how member states can damn near do whatever they want on a myriad of issues and still remain in the EU while benefitting financially via trade and aid.

There's quite the cohort Irish people who are doing exceptionally well out of this and this lends itself perfectly to the governments want to grow the population. That's why we are where we are.

It's Irish people who are leading this mass transfer of our taxes to private entities many of whom are Irish too, crying Brussels is completely missing the bigger picture and it's letting them off the hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭creeper1

We're told constantly "legal and moral obligations" as an excuse for this racket.

Yet they sweep aside the law with requirements for driving with number plates or security being identifiable.

Indeed they've dispensed with planning permission for these centres.

Though it remains if indigenous want to build a house.

Token amounts of people prosecuted for landing without a passport.

Selective enforcement of law.

It looks a lot like oppression. What else could you think of seeing the scenes at Dundrum, Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Afghanistan is a legitimate country to accept refugees from though. Now there is risk that Islamists may be among them given that former member of the Northern Alliance could legitimately claim to be under threat by the Taliban, and they are hardly a group of people that conform to Western belief systems. I would hope the dept. focuses on nuclear families, so children will get to grow up in a free society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

No, of course you can't definitively say that no one is. But that doesn't mean that it's logical or sensible to simply apply this more dramatic interpretation of why someone would cover their face in these circumstances when there are clear, less dramatic and fairly understandable reasons why someone would cover their face from being recorded by people who they know are negatively disposed against them and will post these images on social media.

I wouldn't particularly like if people (particularly people who have negative views towards me) were standing around recording me every time I came home from work. I don't think your automatic interpretation there is that I'm trying to avoid detection for a crime I committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Opportunistic scumbags. The same type that ran the country into the ground in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭jackboy

Exactly, and we still have people thinking all this is happening to support asylum seekers. The amount of people calling rural protesters against these centers 'far right' is shocking but not surprising considering our history of blindly following our politicians and their media lackies.

There will be no consequences for the politicians and their cronies who are receiving all this tax payers money but all the people calling citizens far right are going to be in for a nasty surprise when the government tanks the economy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This year alone 23.7 million people in Afghanistan will require humanitarian assistance, the Tánaiste noted. "Today’s tragic anniversary provides us an opportunity to spotlight the ongoing suffering and abuse being experienced by the Afghan people," Mr Martin said.

In 20 years time there will be something like 80 million people in Afghanistan and the Taliban will still be in charge.

Afghanistan is just only one failed state of many, many others. Is Michael Martin going to help all those other countries too?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Also, have the construction jobs gone out to tender? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2024/08/15/housing-irelands-population-is-growing-at-nearly-four-people-for-every-new-home-built/

Nice and sustainable

Those of you on this thread in favour of maintaining the current policies are cheerleading locking an entire generation of your fellow citizens out of home ownership, just to pat yourselves on the back and console yourselves of how morally superior you are to everyone else.

Guarantee they’re all homeowners - real easy to act the bastion of moral rectitude when you’re sitting pretty. “I’m alright Jack”

It’s a fũcking disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭batman_oh

That and putting thousands if not hundreds of thousands of 'asylum seekers' (maybe 20% of those arriving weekly that are in any way legitimate) into every building/field/modular home they magic up in every corner of the country. Sure a load of people hanging around with no jobs in random villages and fields in the middle of nowhere will all integrate perfectly into society. Add in no houses for the people that are paying for all of this and it's all going to be amazing sure. 2nd richest country in the world!

I don't know anyone on the thread who's in favour of maintaining current policies.

Personally I think we need to move IPAs to state owned accommodation as soon as possible and getting realistic about tackling the housing crisis.

What proportion of our population growth is due to IPAs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

define state owned accommodation, houses and apartments owned by the government purely for housing IPAs?

i don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that approx 20k/annum asylum seekers, who now by law need non temporary accommodation after 3 months, isn't putting a strain on the housing market.

Disgusting carry on.

Following people about, recording and abusing them as they go about their business.

Who are these people? How do you get to that point in life where this gives you some sense of belonging, or having a 'cause'?

I get that the world is a much harder place than say twenty years ago, most people see it and have to live with it. But taking that out on people, who in all likelihood have it even tougher than you, what does that achieve? Social media has a lot to do with it but really these people are just digging themselves further into a hole of misery and hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,004 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

'Non temporary accommodation' is still not private housing or apartments, either owned or rented. Vast bulk of people in the country seeking accommodation are certainly not competing against asylum seekers for it.

And how do you suggest tackling a housing crisis when we need tens of thousands of construction professionals we don't currently have? Remember a tradie takes up to 4 years to qualify.

And it's not like we have the housing to accommodate importing them either.

Now throw in 5/6/10k Asylum Seekers per annum rocking up here, and you can see the maths doesn't square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You're making excuses for strangers for no reason (well there is and we all know what it is) you won't be thanked for those excuses …….if you saw a bunch of fellas from say Coolock for example 'going about their day' hiding themselves you'd be the first top say yeah no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭amykl_1987

What state owned property is there.

Maybe they need to deport ppl.

• Advertisement

Twenty thousand, minimum, this year. They may not be competing directly or personally against people want to rent or buy, but there will still be property taken out of the system to accommodate some of them. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Advertisement