Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeded lawn

• 14-08-2024 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

Total novice, living in new build 2 years. Lawn was a disaster when house handed over. Decided to reseed.

Killed off old lawn with weedkiller, then about 4 weeks later in May I removed dead grass with scarifier and manually aerated as best I could. Then seeded adding a lot of topsoil. Didnt use any fertiliser at the time of seeding, just watered frequently.

As the grass came in and matured it developed yellow tips in some areas. Then eventually it became patchy with green healthy areas and yellower patches. Added some nitrogen fertilser in July on advice. The healthy grass had growth spurt and got greener. No effect on other areas. Picture gives an idea.

Just looking for advice to achieve more uniform lawn. Is it a soil nutrition thing? Maybe overseed again in Autumn?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

That's weird, was there anything laying on the lawn during that time or buried beneath it? The pattern doesn't look very natural, unless you scarified or reseeded in a gridlike manner. You could check those bare areas with a length of bamboo (or hammering a long stake down ) to see how deep it is, could be that there's stuff just buried beneath the surface left over from the building site. if it is not much will grow in poor shallow soil so may need to dig some stuff up or buy in more top soil.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suspect that, in an effort to fertilise the lawn evenly, you spread it in regular movements that hit some places and missed others. Try giving it another feed concentrating on the bits that got missed, now you can see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The effect being exacerbated by the soil being so poor to start with?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

Weird indeed! I don't suppose you used a lawn spreader to spread the fertilizer as the growth is in rows and fits and starts?

As above feed the other areas, I always just use my hand, no better spreader.

Advertisement