Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoil 2024 - Discussion thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭geographica

There’s music going on all day right through to beyond midnight Sunday so it’s a full day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

Worked a (less manic) pop up bar in town and I have to say, I met the most lovely people throughout the week. Friday and Saturday were absolutely mental for drink but on the other days I got to chat away to people from all over the country and even the US.

As someone who was walking home very late at night / early morning and saw the inevitable cups/food waste etc. everywhere, credit to the people cleaning the streets as I would be back up and on the town very early in the morning and it would be absolutely spotless. I couldn't believe the turnaround on making the entire town like brand new again.

I'm sure there will be areas to be improved on and will be implemented for next year, but in the main it seemed like a huge success.

Kearneys Funeral Home selling sweets gave me a good giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thank christ this is finished. A right PITA for those with a blue badge and severely limited mobility issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great to read Corvo. Some negative comments on here before it began but naturally there was always going to be apprehension.

I hope the town got a great cut from the visitors spend. It can be hard on some of the older people.

Any other locals on here have any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭CWMMC

Worked in a bar too and have to say it went alot better/smoother than I had expected. It was like Christmas time without the messy drunks. No sick or broken glass etc made it alot easier too. I think overall from my perspective it went well and looking forward to it next year. It also shows that the quay can be used for something every year or utilized. The guards and the county council did a brilliant job with keeping everyone safe and cleaning the place up every morning/night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Visited myself and it was very well run parking wasn't a problem bus stopped in redmond square,plenty to do and see and best atmosphere I've come across in the town for a very long time had food in one of the bars wouldn't say it was much more expensive than any other time,drink prices I'm not sure on as wasn't drinking all in all an enjoyable day and great too have it in wexford

I wont lie, I was very negative at the start, but it was more a worry that the town wouldn't handle such a crowd but they did and they did it fantastically. I was glad to hear the feedback from Fleadh goers that it was one of the best they were ever at. Wexford has such potential but its often wasted. That Quay front should be used far more. The bar I worked in had a number of food stalls and they were massively impressed and would like to return. The Fleadh might have been the start of some growth.

Completely. I remember visiting Waterford last year during the Spraoi festival and was wondering why Wexford Town has nothing like this?

Food festivals are a big draw for me and I've attended them all over the country, but not Wexford (apart from the Maritime Festival). Its a shambles to be honest, that quay front should be booming. I worked alongside Little Catch (who bring their own crowd, they could be on the ballast bank and people would swim over), Socafro, The Oven and Bella Napoli. They were all delighted and just loved the vibe in Wexford in general, not just the Fleadh.

But even aside from food, why not music? Yes, theres the Spiegeltent (which in my opinion has become a bit tired) but there could be so much more. Food festivals, beer festivals, music events, markets etc. Its a beautiful quay front, they should use it.

I think the Spiegeltent has lost its buzz only for one reason, and that is because its the same acts every year. Theres never anything new in it.

• Advertisement

Yep, when it originally started I attended a bit. I can't believe some of the same acts get recycled every year. It would be lovely to see a stage set up every two to three months and draw in some small local acts and some larger acts from across the country, with pop up bars etc.

Just as an aside, I'm hearing rumours that the Fleadh may come here for the third year, not just next year. That would be an amazing boost to Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The problem with the Spiegeltent is one of the main individuals behind it originally is no longer there and a variety of issues have turned people away from it such as standing-only gigs, ticket costs, ignoring local groups etc

Advertisement