Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gràinne Seoige in the Dàil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

She is a native speaker and comes from a very Fianna Fáil background

Wow, she offers something fresh and new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Don't really know much about her, probably media savvy etc. from being on TV. Fine Gael have done well with 'celebrity' candidates in the GE and Euro's soo FF probably feel they are missing a trick.

Just one question, I wonder how she is going to juggle her diamond business in South Africa with potentially being in the Dail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She lives in South Africa that will be some travel expenses claim she will be putting in every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

She lives in Galway.

Fair dues to her. There’s lots of moaners on the internet who question the integrity of everyone who stands for public office, but would never dream of putting themselves forward. Ditch hurlers.

Has a good shout of getting in. Safe FF seat in Galway West if she gets the nod.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

If (the media created) Marie Walsh can get elected it should be a walk in the park for Grainne. Marie's knowledge, understanding or involvement in even local / national politics was ZERO yet she managed to con deluded folk to vote for her twice. It's true what they say…we get the politicians we deserve.

I would not be surprised if Grainne ends up in the Aras as president within a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I will always question the integrity of anyone who runs for the celtic bubble/septic tiger party.

Don't know where she currently lives but there was a documentary about her idilic life in South Africa, husband, diamond business etc. on the tv a while back.

Maybe she has moved back to Galway to try to restart her career. I imagine there would be plenty of other grass roots candidates also vying for the Fianna Fail ticket in Galway west... (seeing as perennial poll topper Eamonn O'Cuiv is calling it quits)... might be another unseemly squabble at the press conference like in the Euros (fingers crossed) 🤞😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

This is what you want then this is what you get.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

She lives in Galway. FF will run two candidates. One in the city and one out in Connemara.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Political life in this country is taking a terrible direction. Seems name recognition is all you need to get elected these days. We've always told Ireland has "a highly sophisticated electorate."

And if Ms Seoige was currently getting a decent amount of media work I'm sure she wouldn't be putting her name forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

Great, another wealthy FF bogtrotter.

Progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

There’ll be about 500 candidates in the next election. You could say the same about each and every one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Disappointed Davy Fitz is taking on the Antrim hurlers. I think he would be a fantastic FF candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Always preferred Sile she never came across as pretentious and fake like her sister.

Regards,

P

Ryan Tubridy will be in there in about ten years time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Seoige name is not great for the old alphabetical order on the ballot paper in a constituency where the makeyuppey name Cuív, Éamon Ó has cynically exploited alphabetical order for years.

Note in particular the position of the comma and the Ó, I've always suspected the use of the v in a supposedly Irish spelling was to distract from the position of the Ó.

Anyway back to Grainne, she could exploit the alphabet with Joyce instead of Seoige but she'd lose the brand recognition...

"where the makeyuppey name 

Cuív, Éamon Ó

has cynically exploited alphabetical order for years."

Shnakey

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

So you dont have to have any experience just decide to run because your a known figure and watch the fools vote you in.

Sickening thats what this country is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Gràinne is an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random thought, not suggesting it is a good idea - would be gas if the law was changed so you couldn't run for the dail till you'd served at least (insert random number of) years as a councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah a wealthy RTE golden circle one percenter, how refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Grainne has a lot of great ideas about the important issues.

What issues.

The issues affecting ordinary people and our country long term.

Such as.

etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think we'd be better off voting for Gregory Gráinneog.

She probably was at one time. But then she began to regard herself and became a serious journo with a massive scowl. No thanks. She's a 6 now at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Something about her I could never warm to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

the Galway girl, born in Mayo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…embrace it folks, its another ffg government, and this could go on for a while to…..

…embrace it folks, its another ffg government, and this could go on for a while to…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She's 50 now. She'll always be an 8 in my book.

But, leaving all the cult of personality aside, she's very intelligent, very knowledgeable of the issues and of the territory, and she has a varied career behind her, including in business.

Honestly she could camp out at RnaG and TG4 for a month before the election and top the poll.

Easy win for FF. And its all about arses on seats. The next government needs 88 of them. Though preferably 95-100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not a good idea.

A good politician can come from any background, and some might be better of for not having experience in local councils.

The whole thing about being a TD is that it's not your choice to be one.

You are there at the pleasure of the electorate.

So if you think you can convince the electorate to vote for you in enough numbers to get you elected it doesn't matter what you previously did in politics.

If you get elected and are a good politician, good for you and your voters, but if you get elected and are found out to be unable for the job, chances are you are not getting another go at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i was just spitballing. i don't like the idea of creating artificial barriers to the process.

i'd say the local FF heads will be spitting if she's selected though. after putting years of work in to have someone parachuted in ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Taking a terrible direction"

Do you think celebrity candidates are new ?

It's pretty hilarious. The rush to defend and promote celebrities who run for political office in this country is off the charts. But when it happens in the USA, it's labelled as a 'threat to democracy'.

…but tbf, American narcissistic celebrity behavior, is far more extreme than our narcissistic celebrity behavior, and genuinely is a threat to democracy……

• Advertisement

FF FG

Choice!

Oh the drama!

People end up voting for the same party FFG.

Kind of like being in a warm fluffy version of China or Russia. The actual orders are coming from the EU and the Irish arse lickers lick it up.

…jesus, the eu is not filled with overlords, it really isnt!

…its more so deeply fcuked up group think that is causing these dysfunctional political outcomes, and the fact, our oppositions are truly awful……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

With the increase in the gender quota to 40% in the upcoming election you're going to see a lot of female candidates parachuted in by FF & FG especially. They could do a lot worse than Seoige.

ffg have nothing to be worrying about, theyre a shoe in, and probably for the next couple of ges

We do defer to the EU, directly or indirectly when we have a weak government here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

She is a native speaker and comes from a very Fianna Fáil background

Is the bar for public office this low?

Nina Carberry was another celebrity candidate who managed to be put on the ticket for a high profile role. I've yet to hear her make any substantive statements as to why she is qualified, what she wants to try and change, or what sort of political beliefs she has. Everything I've heard her say was just a load of wishy-washy, hand-wavy, vacuous nothingness.

With that said, Carberry won, so I'm guessing Grainne will still probably top the poll.

Celebrity culture is alive and well in Ireland, and many people are all too happy to hop onto a bandwagon.

…we may defer at times, but eu structurers as a whole are largely undemocratic by nature and design, modern political methodologies are designed around weak or poor governance, as this is a fundamental part of modern political ideologies, this is largely to enable and empower more powerful and plutocratic entities…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That's not Gregory Gráinneog…

This is the real Gregory Gráinneog! (But looking like a dodgy Bake-Off version of a hedgehog.)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Future Minister for the Gaeltacht.

I was searching for GG on Google, and I saw that , but I don't remember him looking like that. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There is very little to no use of V in Irish, so the correct spelling should have been Cuíbh. Not sure how that would impact, since Cuíbh and Cuiv would have the same place on the ballot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It wouldn't surprise me if there were few/no local FF heads seriously looking to go forward for the Dáil. Politics has become very toxic in recent years and a competent person can earn more money for less hours in other sectors. We are seeing a lot of TDs not going forward at the next GE, even relatively young people who could have a senior position in the next government.

I really don't get the issue with "celebrity" candidates. The public generally has more to judge them on than "local party heads", the electorate ultimately decides what they want. I'd rather have someone who has made a career for themselves in an industry which can be very unforgiving (especially for women) than someone who built a profile by going to funeras and ltelling people they can help them get things they can't actually get them (planning permission, medical cards, etc.).

it just comes across as cynical. someone who has a national profile all of a sudden decides, you know what, i should be a politician; (seemingly) not having been involved in politics before; and using their non-political profile as an edge over other candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I see it as a positive that people can come in from outside of the political bubble. I couldn't imagine anything worse than the Dáil being made up of former County Councillors. Being a Councillor is junior hurling, very different to what is expected of a TD.

It's very difficult to build a national profile and spend many years in the public eye without being thought of as a Gobshite. Having a national profile from sport is a bit different because Gobshites can be very good at sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

No. But it seems to be a growing phenomenon, and I don't believe it will lead to better government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement